Atheism and Feminism (debates)?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2015, 05:53 PM
RE: Atheism and Feminism (debates)?
(27-11-2015 04:05 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 03:31 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Would you care to explain the difference between women's equality and equality to me?

I'm old enough to remember when women couldn't get a loan for a house, business or a car. They had to have their husband or father's signature. When I was a young girl they finally stopped advertising jobs for male or female. My own mother had her first four children taken away from her ( these would be my half brothers) even when her first husband beat the shit out of her. Lawyers just didn't care much if a woman was beaten by her husband. Her testimony in court meant nothing because she was just a woman.

The first wave of feminism chipped away at these major forms of discrimination which were overtly unequal. Each decade has highlighted some form of discrimination against women, many are not so obvious as car loans or jobs. It's more social now. Women don't want to be overlooked or paid less for a comparable job because they are just a woman. By the same token, they don't want to be merely looked at because they are just a woman. It's demeaning to women when this happens.

I'm not sure about feminism being a cult. How exactly is it a cult?
Thank you for your answer, it is what I expected it to be.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-11-2015, 07:04 PM
The reason feminism exists is because women, specifically are the ones being oppressed in many places around the world. Therefore, it makes sense to focus on women's rights, and the claim that "feminism is pointless" is clearly absurd.

[+] 1 user Likes GenesisNemesis's post
27-11-2015, 07:25 PM
Why don't feminists and those who would oppose feminism engage in debate?

One of those two parties overwhelmingly refuse the very notion.

And one should be weary of any philosophy that is intently kept out of debate by its keepers; It means the philosphy can't withstand the marketplace of ideas. It exists only in social circles where there is no dissent: an 'echo-chamber.'
27-11-2015, 07:39 PM
(27-11-2015 07:04 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  The reason feminism exists is because women, specifically are the ones being oppressed in many places around the world. Therefore, it makes sense to focus on women's rights, and the claim that "feminism is pointless" is clearly absurd.

Well we can focus on women's issues and still say modern feminism is pointless, cause it is. Hell most here would rather fight non-issues

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-11-2015, 07:52 PM (This post was last modified: 27-11-2015 07:56 PM by ClydeLee.)
(27-11-2015 05:41 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 05:28 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  It'a a literary analysis. You take a perspective of the schools of criticism or a slant of your interest, be it new historicalism, marxism, feminism, Conservationism, Post-modernism, etc. And you read the text via that outlook and see to take out what

It's one of the main types of highschool-college type English class assignments undertaken by people. You goal is biased, yes, it's not ashamed or a negative element to be so. That's the point of the process, you're at no point saying in the concept, This is the only or the "right" way to analysis this media product.

I just don't get peoples reactions because they so often were saying, oh you could view it from X other angle... yes, that's not something anyone ever said isn't the case. People seem to treat it when they don't like it as if it was some absolutist scientific claim.

So what are you saying that I am taking something else out of what they want to mean?

I don't know what you think about it. But say, someone popular like Tunderfoot who made videos opposed to her videos, most of his points didn't make sense via the subject matter. He treated the ideas like they were a scientific or religious claim of, This is the one truth we can analysis from this data only. Which is just silly because nowhere is a claim of that nature made about the concept of viewing the games from a feminist criticism.

With points like, oh you could say men are sexualised too into power images. Yes, you can say that too, and argue and look and find examples of that in a large portion of things too. One can also view things from a cultural examining lens and note there are many sexual elements of difference from japanese to "western" american/english made games culture. You can see that as a factor into the angles of many games within many of the same examples.

Phrases like "modern feminism" can mean 20 things, which is just why I think all the labels and bickering over labels are horrendous activities. It's entirely false boxing in.

You take a person who calls themselves a feminist or modern feminist and one who is an egalitarian, as them 50 questions about equality and you can possibly get 40-45 of the same answers but they have some reason claims to think the label means anything about the position? Labels are for awareness, Atheism is a label most people use for awareness to let it be known it's alright to be an atheist or that hey, you know these numbers are growing opposed to Christians. It doesn't really define anything else though.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
27-11-2015, 08:03 PM
(27-11-2015 07:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 07:04 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  The reason feminism exists is because women, specifically are the ones being oppressed in many places around the world. Therefore, it makes sense to focus on women's rights, and the claim that "feminism is pointless" is clearly absurd.

Well we can focus on women's issues and still say modern feminism is pointless, cause it is. Hell most here would rather fight non-issues

It's not useless if you're using it as a social construct to highlight those specific issues.

27-11-2015, 08:13 PM
(27-11-2015 07:52 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 05:41 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  So what are you saying that I am taking something else out of what they want to mean?

I don't know what you think about it. But say, someone popular like Tunderfoot who made videos opposed to her videos, most of his points didn't make sense via the subject matter. He treated the ideas like they were a scientific or religious claim of, This is the one truth we can analysis from this data only. Which is just silly because nowhere is a claim of that nature made about the concept of viewing the games from a feminist criticism.

With points like, oh you could say men are sexualised too into power images. Yes, you can say that too, and argue and look and find examples of that in a large portion of things too. One can also view things from a cultural examining lens and note there are many sexual elements of difference from japanese to "western" american/english made games culture. You can see that as a factor into the angles of many games within many of the same examples.

Phrases like "modern feminism" can mean 20 things, which is just why I think all the labels and bickering over labels are horrendous activities. It's entirely false boxing in.

You take a person who calls themselves a feminist or modern feminist and one who is an egalitarian, as them 50 questions about equality and you can possibly get 40-45 of the same answers but they have some reason claims to think the label means anything about the position? Labels are for awareness, Atheism is a label most people use for awareness to let it be known it's alright to be an atheist or that hey, you know these numbers are growing opposed to Christians. It doesn't really define anything else though.

I see were your getting at. Well about the video game thing, there is no reason to complain about it. It isn't an issue. Also they were claims anita made, and they were wrong. So thunderf00t did raise a point. Also labels are words and words have meaning. That is why we have labels. I can see why they aren't good, but they are needed for communication. And where did you get modern femenism means 20 things?
27-11-2015, 08:15 PM
(27-11-2015 08:03 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 07:39 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Well we can focus on women's issues and still say modern feminism is pointless, cause it is. Hell most here would rather fight non-issues

It's not useless if you're using it as a social construct to highlight those specific issues.

Tis, because an egalitarian movement can do the same thing.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
27-11-2015, 08:20 PM
(27-11-2015 08:15 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 08:03 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  It's not useless if you're using it as a social construct to highlight those specific issues.

Tis, because an egalitarian movement can do the same thing.

Already explained why feminism exists. Guess we'd just be going in circles after this.

27-11-2015, 08:28 PM
(27-11-2015 08:20 PM)GenesisNemesis Wrote:  
(27-11-2015 08:15 PM)Metazoa Zeke Wrote:  Tis, because an egalitarian movement can do the same thing.

Already explained why feminism exists. Guess we'd just be going in circles after this.

Ya did, and still no need for the label. But that is just me, unless there is something femenism can do that egalitarianism can't. And if you label your self a femenist that is fine.