Atheism and Humanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 12:30 PM
Atheism and Humanism
I took a quiz on Facebook to test my knowledge of world religions. I got an 88% but I chalk 2 of my wrong answers up to the poor wording of the questions.

One of the questions I got wrong was "True or False - Humanists could be described as atheist." I answered False and got it wrong. Was I wrong?

Atheism, as I'm sure we've all had to explain dozens of times is simply the lack of belief in any deities.

Humanism, I've always understood as just an advocacy for the rights and fair treatment of all people and the advancement of secular ideals but without taking a FIRM position on either the existence or non-existence of deities. I've always understood Humanism as taking a somewhat apathetic view on God, that with or without one we ought to focus on helping each other.

I feel I can safely infer that not all atheists need be Humanists, as atheism does not describe a moral code in any sense. But do all Humanists need to be atheists?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Mr. Boston's post
01-06-2016, 12:41 PM
RE: Atheism and Humanism
I identify as humanist on fb.

Most humanists I know are agnostic atheists who believe religions are divisive -- at the same time they don't care about religious/spiritual belief individuals might have. It's more about the betterment of all humans without fear of eternal punishment or the benefit of reward.

But I'm fairly confident someone else will say I'm full of crap. Drinking Beverage

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 4 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-06-2016, 12:43 PM
You are correct, there is no reason to compare atheism to any one philosophy of thought including humanism. If it was that simple we could say "Christians are always conservatives."

Even though that may seem true when it comes to politics it's not an absolute, many Christians are liberal and there are even atheists who are conservative. Either way it's always going to be wrong since like you said an atheist just doesn't believe in a god or gods, that's it, literally any other values or ideals they do believe in will be unique to each atheist.

As for humanists they don't need to be atheists by definition of course, my fiance is a humanist and he is an agnostic for example and I've known some to be theists as well or perhaps Buddhists, are all Buddhists also humanists? It's a non-sequitur that doesn't belong on any quiz, even a fun informal quiz, it's just confusing.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
01-06-2016, 12:57 PM
Right! So I didn't get the question wrong, the question WAS wrong, dammit!
01-06-2016, 01:06 PM
(01-06-2016 12:57 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Right! So I didn't get the question wrong, the question WAS wrong, dammit!

No, I disagree, a humanist could be described as an atheist.

Because they both place people (humans) before religions and religious belief.

If someone's religious belief doesn't conflict with human rights and progress, humanists haven't any issue with them -- in the same way atheism doesn't care.

So yes, they could be described as similar.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
01-06-2016, 01:07 PM
(01-06-2016 12:30 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I took a quiz on Facebook to test my knowledge of world religions. I got an 88% but I chalk 2 of my wrong answers up to the poor wording of the questions.

One of the questions I got wrong was "True or False - Humanists could be described as atheist." I answered False and got it wrong. Was I wrong?

Atheism, as I'm sure we've all had to explain dozens of times is simply the lack of belief in any deities.

Humanism, I've always understood as just an advocacy for the rights and fair treatment of all people and the advancement of secular ideals but without taking a FIRM position on either the existence or non-existence of deities. I've always understood Humanism as taking a somewhat apathetic view on God, that with or without one we ought to focus on helping each other.

I feel I can safely infer that not all atheists need be Humanists, as atheism does not describe a moral code in any sense. But do all Humanists need to be atheists?

There have been several generations of humanism, some heavily secular, some heavily religious. The present generation is very heavily secular, to the point where the word humanist HAS almost become a subset of non-belief. Depending on how you define atheism, this would make humanists be atheists.

That said, as with most semantics, what's important is what people mean by the words and not what the words mean in any objective sense. Plenty of humanists would rather describe themselves as agnostics rather than atheists, for example, and there are holdovers from previous waves of humanism that are some flavor of theist and yet still proudly wear the humanist label.
[+] 1 user Likes Reltzik's post
01-06-2016, 01:20 PM
(01-06-2016 12:57 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Right! So I didn't get the question wrong, the question WAS wrong, dammit!
It was possibly correct as moms pointed out, but in the final outcome it is just another attempt to put people into handy little boxes which I typically disagree with.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
01-06-2016, 02:28 PM
(01-06-2016 01:20 PM)skyking Wrote:  It was possibly correct as moms pointed out, but in the final outcome it is just another attempt to put people into handy little boxes which I typically disagree with.

That was my issue too. If you're going to pose a question as being either true or false then to my mind the presence of any condition by which it MIGHT be false means that it isn't true. Also, who uses the word "could" in a True/False question? Bullshit clickbait quizzes on Facebook I guess. Anything COULD be described as atheist - doesn't mean its an appropriate description though. Anyway it wrankled me for some reason.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr. Boston's post
01-06-2016, 05:23 PM
I used to consider myself a humanist. In fact I called myself that before I even knew it was a actual word. But as time went on I became more and more jaded. Almost to the point of nihilism. It's been that way for some time now.
I've learned that not giving a fuck is the path to happiness. Wink
01-06-2016, 05:59 PM
I don't know what they mean by humanist exactly.

The more historical essence of what Humanist means is just not believing God dictates laws/morals and the way things should be but Humans are the ones to create the moral and orders of their lives. It's not really atheist in essence.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson