Atheism and Humanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2016, 06:02 PM
RE: Atheism and Humanism
From wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humanism
Quote:Humanism is a philosophical and ethical stance that emphasizes the value and agency of human beings, individually and collectively, and generally prefers critical thinking and evidence (rationalism, empiricism) over acceptance of dogma or superstition. The meaning of the term humanism has fluctuated according to the successive intellectual movements which have identified with it.[1] Generally, however, humanism refers to a perspective that affirms some notion of human freedom and progress. In modern times, humanist movements are typically aligned with secularism, and today humanism typically refers to a non-theistic life stance centered on human agency and looking to science rather than revelation from a supernatural source to understand the world[Emphasis Mine]

Maybe the wiki is off track on this, myself as well, but I would associate a humanist as an atheist.

Just a people on a rock without a clue.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-06-2016, 01:25 AM
[Image: 24623817213_712cf62e30_c.jpg]

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
02-06-2016, 02:29 AM
Odd. Did the quiz equate theism with misanthropy?

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
02-06-2016, 02:43 AM
Erroneous post deleted
02-06-2016, 06:25 AM
It's why the full term for the atheistic version is "Secular" Humanist. You can be religious and still be a Humanist.

However, in modern use (as already pointed out), they're pretty much synonymous. Which is a shame. I wish more religious people were Humanists.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-06-2016, 08:05 AM
(01-06-2016 01:06 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-06-2016 12:57 PM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  Right! So I didn't get the question wrong, the question WAS wrong, dammit!

No, I disagree, a humanist could be described as an atheist.

Yeah, I was going to say that in the most pedantic sense, that claim is correct. A humanist could be described as an atheist. A humanist could also be described as a rocket ship, an apple, or as telepathic. It doesn't mean any of those descriptions are correct.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
02-06-2016, 09:57 AM
I agree. The "could be" makes it a loaded question.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
02-06-2016, 10:32 AM
Wow, I was actually thinking of starting a thread on this topic. I was listening to TTA podcast where he talked to the pres. of American Atheists about his new book. They got into the whole "using the word humanist when you really mean atheist." Thing. It would take a good paragraph or 2 to flesh that out and really explain what they were talking about, and I'm not sure anybody cares so I'm not going to do that.

Point is, I totally disagree that humanism always implies atheism. You can be a theist or a deist and believe that the supernatural does not impact the world enough to rely on it for morality or guidance. I see no reason why a theist couldn't be a humanist.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
02-06-2016, 10:40 AM
(02-06-2016 10:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Point is, I totally disagree that humanism always implies atheism.

No one in this thread has even come close to saying "always".

A humanist "could" be an atheist. Not that they're always an atheist -- some atheists only give craps about themselves. Some theists care more about humanity than their religion or their religious belief system provides for a more secular cause.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

02-06-2016, 11:27 AM
(02-06-2016 10:40 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(02-06-2016 10:32 AM)Adrianime Wrote:  Point is, I totally disagree that humanism always implies atheism.

No one in this thread has even come close to saying "always".

A humanist "could" be an atheist. Not that they're always an atheist -- some atheists only give craps about themselves. Some theists care more about humanity than their religion or their religious belief system provides for a more secular cause.
That is a useless question then. A more accurate way to ask that would be, "Are humanism and atheism mutually exclusive?"

The wording "a humanist could be described as an atheist." Sounds to me like they are asking if humanists are also atheists. It's like, "A square could be described as a rectangle." Sure, because squares are rectangles.

Seems silly to me like saying, "A human being could be described as an atheist, true or false?" Why would you ask this question?

I would bet the writer of the question is really asking, "are all humanists atheists?" Where you seem to be interpreting it as "are some humanists atheists?"

Side note: I was reading the comments on the podcast I mentioned, and some people do indeed think (and clearly posted) that all humanists are atheists.

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.