Atheism and Intelliegence.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2012, 08:56 PM
Atheism and Intelliegence.
I'd like to be super smart, but I'm not. I know there is no direct correlation between intelligence and belief (knowing there are a lot of smart theists). I read write and have a vocabulary of a college student according to national test grades, my lit. I am in the 1% that got 100% on every vocabulary and reading test. Although I hate reading! I only like to read about space, and nothing else! Sorry if I went off a bit. What I want to ask is if there is a correlation between STUPIDITY and religious belief.

I know that countries like Sweden with great educational systems, who promote rational thinking have a high population of atheists. And countries like haiti and Merica' (Hill Billy accent) who don't have such a great science, rational thinking, and overall education programs seem to be more religious.

I seriously do wish that I could project models in my head and organize them, I also wish that I could speak super eloquently like I do on the internet. I just can't think of words fast enough, I know them, I just can't apply them without thinking it over. This causes me to studder a bit. I wish I could retain more information. And I am ashamed to say that I don't think my IQ will be how high I once thought it was. I will most likely never take a real IQ test so I don't appear stupid when I am a scientist speaking out against religion one day.

But if there is one thing I absolutely know, it's that intelligence can't be learned, but information can. I will dedicate my entire life to learning about space. Thanks, tell me what you think about this post, sorry if I went very off topic.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes UndercoverAtheist's post
16-10-2012, 09:08 PM
RE: Atheism and Intelliegence.
I don't think there is a correlation with intelligence and theism or atheism. Theism is supported by one or combos of: ignorance, delusion and conditioning.

I've met all kinds of smart and stupid atheists and theists. I've met all races, sexual orientations, sexes, sizes, cultural backgrounds and more of each- in fact, that is right here.

I've also met atheists who have ignorances, delusions and conditionings of other kinds, but across the board for theism these things are found.

It helps to educate and expand the knowledge and health of the mind as far as it can go. However, no matter how much someone does this I think everyone has a breaking point. It is important to protect the mind and find support to stay healthy, too. Smile
16-10-2012, 10:01 PM
There have been numerous studies showing that, statistically speaking, average intelligence and religiosity are inversely proportional (http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/iq_relig.htm).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2012, 12:06 AM
(16-10-2012 10:01 PM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  There have been numerous studies showing that, statistically speaking, average intelligence and religiosity are inversely proportional (http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/iq_relig.htm).

Broken link.

17-10-2012, 12:06 AM
http://www.skeptictank.org/hs/iq_relig.htm
fixed.