Atheism and Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-06-2017, 12:07 PM
Atheism and Movies
Movies with supernatural content used to scare the shit out of me when I was a believer. Today, the only effect they have on me is eye-rolling cynicism. I don't even care to watch them anymore.

Oddly though, I thoroughly enjoy Si-Fi and super hero type movies. I can get lost in them.

Knowing that they're both fiction, why do I enjoy one genre and cringe at the other?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
18-06-2017, 05:31 PM
RE: Atheism and Movies
Probably the supernatural themes might have that effect on you because your mind is still making a connection with religion there for you.
You don't have to like everything you liked at another point in your life. Taste and preference changes and that's fine.

If you like SciFi and such things, try Black Mirror on Netflix. It's great.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
18-06-2017, 06:04 PM
(18-06-2017 05:31 PM)Leerob Wrote:  Probably the supernatural themes might have that effect on you because your mind is still making a connection with religion there for you.
You don't have to like everything you liked at another point in your life. Taste and preference changes and that's fine.

If you like SciFi and such things, try Black Mirror on Netflix. It's great.

Thank you, Leerob.

Mods, I posted this in the wrong section. Can you please move it to the movie section? Thanks!
18-06-2017, 06:19 PM
(18-06-2017 12:07 PM)TheBear Wrote:  Movies with supernatural content used to scare the shit out of me when I was a believer. Today, the only effect they have on me is eye-rolling cynicism. I don't even care to watch them anymore.

Oddly though, I thoroughly enjoy Si-Fi and super hero type movies. I can get lost in them.

Knowing that they're both fiction, why do I enjoy one genre and cringe at the other?

I generally enjoy sci-fi movies, am ambivalent about supernatural themes although most I find just boring because they are so unbelievable, and typically don't care for superhero movies. Individual exceptions may exist.

de gustibus non disputandum est

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
18-06-2017, 06:25 PM
You and me, both, unfogged (more or less)

Haven't been interested much in fantasy ever since I stopped believing in silly little things like souls, and the rest of it is mostly silly.

Good science fiction, on the other hand... (*not* adventure stories with lasers, as the great Ted Chiang says). I prefer reading it, though. I think the universe is much more amazing, interesting and unbelievable than any silly little critters like vampires and such our minds came up with when we didn't know where the sun went each night.

But even fantasy beats superheroes. Would die before wasting even a minute on a superhero/comic book movie.

What? You heard unfogged, de gustibus and all that... Dodgy

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
19-06-2017, 07:05 PM
Am I a nerd for liking movies like Star Wars, Superman, or anything DC or Marvel?
19-06-2017, 07:21 PM
I personally like movies that are dialogue driven. I'll admit that I'm a huge Star Wars fan since I was 7 when the first Star Wars movie came out (please don't get that mixed up with the prequels). I don't like Superhero movies since I never got into comics when I was a kid for some reason? I just have no interest in seeing them.

Some of my favorite movies (not in any particular order) are movies such as Dances with Wolves, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Good Will Hunting, etc... Pulp Fiction in my personal opinion would be at the top just because of the dialogue alone. But I also enjoyed the adaptation of The Lord of the Rings because I think Peter Jackson did a damn good job of recreating a very hard book and held (most) of the story line within the context of the book.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 3 users Like RearViewMirror's post
19-06-2017, 07:27 PM
(19-06-2017 07:21 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I personally like movies that are dialogue driven. I'll admit that I'm a huge Star Wars fan since I was 7 when the first Star Wars movie came out (please don't get that mixed up with the prequels). I don't like Superhero movies since I never got into comics when I was a kid for some reason? I just have no interest in seeing them.

Some of my favorite movies (not in any particular order) are movies such as Dances with Wolves, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Good Will Hunting, etc... Pulp Fiction in my personal opinion would be at the top just because of the dialogue alone. But I also enjoyed the adaptation of The Lord of the Rings because I think Peter Jackson did a damn good job of recreating a very hard book and held (most) of the story line within the context of the book.

I personally LOVE all the movies you listed! Thumbsup
[+] 1 user Likes TheBear's post
19-06-2017, 07:36 PM
And I suppose I'd be remissed if I didn't include "Contact" in my movie collection.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
19-06-2017, 07:49 PM
(19-06-2017 07:21 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I personally like movies that are dialogue driven. I'll admit that I'm a huge Star Wars fan since I was 7 when the first Star Wars movie came out (please don't get that mixed up with the prequels). I don't like Superhero movies since I never got into comics when I was a kid for some reason? I just have no interest in seeing them.

I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end. My husband and son both watched it multiple times and still watch it when they find it on.

I tend to not sit still long enough to watch a movie all the way through. There's a good chance that over the years I have seen it all just not in one sitting. I really should do that. Undecided

The supernatural movies (the theme of this thread) don't really interest me and never have. I prefer a good psychological thriller that will make me jump out of my seat over paranormal stuff that doesn't hold my attention.

Overall, I am not a big movie person. There are a few that I have watched over and over again that cover a wide range of genres.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post