Atheism and Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-06-2017, 07:59 PM
RE: Atheism and Movies
I love a good SciFi/Thriller but I'm just not too keen on the superhero movies or straight up horror, although the new shark movie looks scary as hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-06-2017, 08:06 PM
My loss of belief in the supernatural has ruined any and all ghost, spirits, or otherwise paranormal movies. I don't get why I still enjoy sci-fi and superhero movies, even though I never believed people could fly, shoot lasers out of their eyes, etc.
19-06-2017, 08:11 PM
(19-06-2017 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 07:21 PM)RearViewMirror Wrote:  I personally like movies that are dialogue driven. I'll admit that I'm a huge Star Wars fan since I was 7 when the first Star Wars movie came out (please don't get that mixed up with the prequels). I don't like Superhero movies since I never got into comics when I was a kid for some reason? I just have no interest in seeing them.

Some of my favorite movies (not in any particular order) are movies such as Dances with Wolves, Pulp Fiction, Reservoir Dogs, Good Will Hunting, etc... Pulp Fiction in my personal opinion would be at the top just because of the dialogue alone. But I also enjoyed the adaptation of The Lord of the Rings because I think Peter Jackson did a damn good job of recreating a very hard book and held (most) of the story line within the context of the book.

I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end. My husband and son both watched it multiple times and still watch it when they find it on.

I tend to not sit still long enough to watch a movie all the way through. There's a good chance that over the years I have seen it all just not in one sitting. I really should do that. Undecided

The supernatural movies (the theme of this thread) don't really interest me and never have. I prefer a good psychological thriller that will make me jump out of my seat over paranormal stuff that doesn't hold my attention.

Overall, I am not a big movie person. There are a few that I have watched over and over again that cover a wide range of genres.

OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.
[+] 3 users Like TheBear's post
19-06-2017, 08:34 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2017 08:47 PM by Heath_Tierney.)
(19-06-2017 08:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.
(19-06-2017 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

Am I the last person on earth that's never seen this movie?

Anyway, I was never a big fan of supernatural-stuff type movies. Just doesn't turn my crank.

I will admit, though, that I enjoyed the first (just the first) Hellraiser. The first time I saw it I was like *meh*. But then I saw it with a friend who's big into movies and knows a lot about critical theory and drama and whatnot. As we watched the movie, he was giving me clues about why a certain character was doing a certain thing, the underlying themes, all the rest. Now that I know a little more about it, I have to admit that I found it pretty good. Turns out that it grew out of a story called The Hellbound Heart which was pretty good.

I still enjoy old sci-fi movies. On the weekend I re-watched The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 version) which I have always enjoyed. Sadly there's a reference to a god in the movie when Klaatu - played to perfection by Michael Rennie - is brought back to by a machine after being shot. The love interest asks, "You mean, he (meaning the robot Gort) has the power of life and death?" to which Rennie replies, "No, that power is reserved to the almighty spirit."

It's a movie that's a product of its time, so perhaps it's not surprising that there's a theist reference in it.

*edited to fix link*
19-06-2017, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2017 08:43 PM by Clockwork.)
(19-06-2017 08:34 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

Am I the last person on earth that's never seen this movie?
Nope. I haven't seen it. Well, I saw enough to know I didn't want to finish it. Tried a second time and fell asleep.
19-06-2017, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 19-06-2017 08:52 PM by RearViewMirror.)
(19-06-2017 08:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

Yep I totally agree. A lot of people are put off with the way it jumps around but the dialogue alone is one of the funniest (dark humor) I've ever seen in a movie. It also has some of the most notable quotes of any movie out there.

I still say this is one of the funniest scene in the movie. Couldn't find the entire scene so it's not quite as funny. But those that have seen it will know what I'm talking about. "I've got to stab her three times???" lol

And as far as Reservoir Dogs goes... I'll never be able to listen to this song without thinking of this scene.

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 1 user Likes RearViewMirror's post
19-06-2017, 08:51 PM
(19-06-2017 08:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end. My husband and son both watched it multiple times and still watch it when they find it on.

I tend to not sit still long enough to watch a movie all the way through. There's a good chance that over the years I have seen it all just not in one sitting. I really should do that. Undecided

The supernatural movies (the theme of this thread) don't really interest me and never have. I prefer a good psychological thriller that will make me jump out of my seat over paranormal stuff that doesn't hold my attention.

Overall, I am not a big movie person. There are a few that I have watched over and over again that cover a wide range of genres.

OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

I don't see a copy of it here and it's not on Netflix right now. I am pretty sure my son has it on DVD so I can borrow it from him...in fact I need to return his Boondocks Saints DVDs.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
19-06-2017, 08:57 PM
Great scene from Reservoir Dogs - Tipping

20-06-2017, 05:35 AM
Pulp Fiction is a very funny movie; lots of great, dark humor throughout.

Reservoir Dogs is one I've never been able to watch. I've tried a few times but find myself just thinking that if I gouge out my eyes and stuff them into my ears I won't have to put up with the rest of it.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
20-06-2017, 08:06 AM
I just love any movie or tv series that takes me out of my life! I don't care about the genre, if the flick is well acted, directed and has a fairly intelligent plot. If I can get involved with the characters and their lives, I am watching it.

Yes...I must suspend disbelief quite often, but am willing to do that for a good show.

How come nobody mentioned Star Trek?

"The Ox is slow, but the Earth is patient."