Atheism and Movies

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-06-2017, 05:46 AM
RE: Atheism and Movies
(19-06-2017 08:34 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Am I the last person on earth that's never seen this movie?
No. I'm another. I have a DVD of the film but I have not yet got around to watching it.

(19-06-2017 08:34 PM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  I still enjoy old sci-fi movies. On the weekend I re-watched The Day The Earth Stood Still (1951 version) which I have always enjoyed. Sadly there's a reference to a god in the movie when Klaatu - played to perfection by Michael Rennie - is brought back to by a machine after being shot. The love interest asks, "You mean, he (meaning the robot Gort) has the power of life and death?" to which Rennie replies, "No, that power is reserved to the almighty spirit."

It's a movie that's a product of its time, so perhaps it's not surprising that there's a theist reference in it.

I was slightly disappointed the first time I saw this film. I had read the original short story "Farewell to the Master" by Harry Bates which had a completely different ending (and Gort was named Gnut.)

“I am not responsible for actions of the imaginary version of me you have inside your head.” - John Scalzi

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Norm Deplume's post
21-06-2017, 06:49 AM
Well, even the "realistic-ish" suspense movies aren't that scary because the victims always seem like a bunch of pansies. And although I'm not too fond of the supernatural themed shows and movies that try to pass themselves off as being realistic, I actually enjoy watching "Supernatural" lol. And I suppose my all time favorite theme, zombies, aren't exactly non-supernatural.

'Murican Canadian
21-06-2017, 10:47 AM
Even though not a "movie" I much prefer dialogue such as this:

The first season of True Detective was amazingly well written and acted

I get to decide what my life looks like, not the other way around.
[+] 3 users Like RearViewMirror's post
24-06-2017, 04:50 PM
(19-06-2017 08:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 07:49 PM)Anjele Wrote:  I really need to just sit down and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end. My husband and son both watched it multiple times and still watch it when they find it on.

I tend to not sit still long enough to watch a movie all the way through. There's a good chance that over the years I have seen it all just not in one sitting. I really should do that. Undecided

The supernatural movies (the theme of this thread) don't really interest me and never have. I prefer a good psychological thriller that will make me jump out of my seat over paranormal stuff that doesn't hold my attention.

Overall, I am not a big movie person. There are a few that I have watched over and over again that cover a wide range of genres.

OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

Pulp Fiction is on Sundance tomorrow morning...I have it set to record. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-07-2017, 10:00 AM
(24-06-2017 04:50 PM)Anjele Wrote:  
(19-06-2017 08:11 PM)TheBear Wrote:  OMG, Anjele. You HAVE TO set aside time and watch Pulp Fiction from beginning to end.

Pulp Fiction is on Sundance tomorrow morning...I have it set to record. Thumbsup

Yeah, so, I sat down yesterday to watch the movie only to find it was an edited version...Samuel L. Jackson should not be edited. Dodgy

A few minutes in I rented it instead on Amazon and actually sat down (and stayed put) while watching the whole movie from beginning to end. I really enjoyed it and will probably watch it again...maybe pick it up from Movie Trading Co. for a good price. Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post