Atheism and Satanism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Atheism and Satanism
I am an Atheist. I also identify with Satanist. I follow Anton LaVey's Satanism. The reason I am bringing up the topic of Satanism is because of the most recent podcast "living after faith" where I found myself shocked and slightly saddened to hear the thinking atheist discuss Satanism and laugh at the idea of a "level headed" Satanist. He went on to say he believed that probably Satanists identified as such for shock value. I am personally offended by the idea. Satanism has been given such a bad name.

I am a very level-headed individual, and do not want to shock people. In fact, my Satanism has to stay under wraps because of my job and because I don't want the negative attention associated with Satanism. I am just making this topic to hear the opinions of other free-thinkers regarding Satanism. How do you personally feel about it? What do you actually know about it? What are your thoughts?

Please discuss this topic with me! I was so surprised to find such an amazing guy as the thinking atheist sound so closed-minded (though in his defense, he admitted ignorance and said he would look further into it) and ignorant on this topic.

Just curious if anyone out there would like to discuss this with me. Maybe even learn about it from someone on the inside of it, to prevent ignorance on this subject.

Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-02-2012, 01:43 PM
RE: Atheism and Satanism
I don't think that many people know what the direct tenants of Lavey Satanism are stating but I don't think the idea thought about it is way off base.

The same people I've seen who would rip Satanism like Seth did do the exact same thing when people call themselves an Ayn Rand follower. Both ideologies have the emphasis of self first that get's interpenetrated by others pure selfish behavior or even solipsism.

A persons viewpoint could be easily adjusted to agreeing or disproving of the basic statements of satanism depending on how they are phrased to the person.

I try to follow and live by ideals following existentialism. I'll admit if I listed those things I believed and followed to a satanist they could probably say it sounds entirely the same. Yet I don't consider myself a satanist while I know some people who do say they are.
29-02-2012, 01:59 PM
I admit ignorance on Satanism too. From what I've hear it is not the worship of the Biblical Satan. I don't know how true that is and it's never really been an interest of mine.

I will say as someone who is ignorant of it, just the name sounds intentionally inflammatory toward the religious so one shouldn't be shocked when accused of holding to the name instead of simply calling the belief something else. Again, I'm sure that ignorance- but what does it say to those who are ignorant? And do you really think that it's common enough that anyone who might be a thinking individual should be educated about it? I personally don't think so, but it is an honest question and if your answer is "yes" then I'm curious why. Smile
[+] 2 users Like kineo's post
29-02-2012, 02:06 PM
(29-02-2012 10:31 AM)katbus Wrote:  Just curious if anyone out there would like to discuss this with me. Maybe even learn about it from someone on the inside of it, to prevent ignorance on this subject.

This sounds like a great idea. Why don't you write a good description of the general beliefs of a Satanist?

I, too, have heard of the Church of Satan, but I know nothing about it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
29-02-2012, 08:38 PM
I prefer Set - Temple of Set - guy who started this outfit drifted from LaVey. My take is that Set is an older, purer archetype.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
29-02-2012, 10:15 PM
A non-religious religion. No beliefs in a deity, but rituals copied almost entirely from Catholicism?
The religious rituals of the theist mean something to them. Rituals by themselves have no substance.
I don’t see the point in any of it except to say that you belong to something bigger than yourself. What's the appeal?

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
03-03-2012, 11:58 PM
So what do satanists believe?
04-03-2012, 12:45 AM
Haven't touched on Satanism for yonks.
Can't remember being too impressed;Huh sort of Nietzsche on steroids!
Even the Freemasons make me very wary!

mini banned but not browned off-----------Cool
04-03-2012, 11:13 AM
I have never really thought about Satanism at all. It drives me crazy when a less intelligent theist will equate being and Atheist to being a Satanist (not be cause I have an issue with Satanism). I am at the point in my life where I tell them that I don't belive in their invisible freind so his invisible freind is definitely out of the picture.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
04-03-2012, 12:06 PM
I have misgivings about anything with rituals everyone has to partake in.

I don't know diddly about satanism, except that it has rituals.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man