Atheism and Spiritualism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-05-2013, 03:35 AM
Atheism and Spiritualism
Can an Atheist believe in spiritualism and/or conspiracies or does being atheist automatically makes you a skeptic?

Any replies welcomed!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 04:18 AM
RE: Atheism and Spiritualism
An atheist is a person who does not believe in deities.

You can believe in what ever you want, and still be an atheist, so long as it is not a god.

Remember children, being an atheist does not guarantee scepticism or rationality, though they do help.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-05-2013, 04:27 AM
(08-05-2013 04:18 AM)Free Thought Wrote:  An atheist is a person who does not believe in deities.

You can believe in what ever you want, and still be an atheist, so long as it is not a god.

Remember children, being an atheist does not guarantee scepticism or rationality, though they do help.

Makes sense, thanks.
08-05-2013, 04:33 AM
Glad to be of service.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
08-05-2013, 07:27 AM
As stated, atheism does no mean scepticism.

You can be very irrational, and non sceptical, and still be an atheist.

Scepticism is only one way (and possibly the only correct way) of becoming an atheist.
08-05-2013, 07:34 AM
Hey! I didn't become an atheist by scepticism.

I was just never indoctrinated.

08-05-2013, 08:36 AM
Since atheism only deals with the question of gods, you can be spiritual and atheist, like Confucians are. You could believe in anything magical like ghosts, psychics, homeopathy, Scientology... as long as you don't believe in a god you are still atheist.

There is no inherent relation to skepticism. Skeptics tend to be atheists, but not all atheists are skeptics.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
08-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Yeah, as others said, an atheist is not necessarily a skeptic.

The reason the two things are often seen in the same people is because skepticism is a common reason that someone becomes an atheist.

I've talked to atheists who believe all sorts of magic and woo, even demons and ghosts, but the only necessary thing that makes you an atheist is lack of belief in gods.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-05-2013, 12:51 PM

The only way you can be an atheist and still hold any non-material beliefs is to be dishonest to the implications of what you believe.

To be an atheist, you cannot believe in any kind of spiritual realm. You must only believe in the physical material realm. If there is no Divinity, of any kind, then there can be no spiritual realm. If we have souls, but there is no God, then we become God; we become the soul and consciousness of the universe, that's pantheism. That's not atheism.

If you believe in any kind of psychic phenomena, you cannot be an atheist, because psychic phenomena requires a consciousness that is not produced by the brain but is external to the brain. If consciousness is external to the brain, then it doesn't die with the body. That consciousness we call a soul or spirit, and again, you end up with either pantheism or some kind of monism.

If you are going to be an honest atheist, you have to believe that the universe arose for no reason at all, that chaos underlies all causation, that we are merely evolved matter that accidently has a feeling of consciousness as a result of the neuronal activity of the brain.

For twenty years, I have been trying to explain the implications of atheism to atheists, but they don't get it. Most atheists I talk to still cling to Christian morality, a sense of purpose, and a great deal of faith (i.e., believing that science will one day explain consciousness). They also are very dogmatic and fundamentalistic.

A real atheist, a true atheist, is a sad creature indeed. I have only seen what a real atheist would be like when I examine the mentally ill. I have seen individuals so disabled that they no longer have a sense of humor, they grab at their food, all their thoughts are a confused jumble, they don't take care of their hygeine, they pace in the hallways as if they are going somewhere, they have no social skills whatsoever, and they do things like stare at an ice machine or a door for hours, sometimes just holding a styrofoam cup halfway to their mouths as if they had lost all reason to either continue drinking or to stop drinking.

I'm not saying that atheists are chronic psychotics. Obviously they are not. What I'm saying is that if they were to really embrace the implications of atheism, that's what they would end up acting like.

Most atheists are just atheists against the major religions. They still have a God--they just think they are that God. They work out their fear of death not be believing they will live after they die, but by believing they are all that exists in the first place. Most atheists are have a lot of faith.
Quote this message in a reply
08-05-2013, 12:56 PM
(08-05-2013 12:51 PM)Egor Wrote:  The only way you can be an atheist and still hold any non-material beliefs is to be dishonest to the implications of what you believe.

To be an atheist, you cannot believe in any kind of spiritual realm. You must only believe in the physical material realm. If there is no Divinity, of any kind, then there can be no spiritual realm. If we have souls, but there is no God, then we become God; we become the soul and consciousness of the universe, that's pantheism. That's not atheism.

If you believe in any kind of psychic phenomena, you cannot be an atheist, because psychic phenomena requires a consciousness that is not produced by the brain but is external to the brain. If consciousness is external to the brain, then it doesn't die with the body. That consciousness we call a soul or spirit, and again, you end up with either pantheism or some kind of monism.

If you are going to be an honest atheist, you have to believe that the universe arose for no reason at all, that chaos underlies all causation, that we are merely evolved matter that accidently has a feeling of consciousness as a result of the neuronal activity of the brain.

For twenty years, I have been trying to explain the implications of atheism to atheists, but they don't get it. Most atheists I talk to still cling to Christian morality, a sense of purpose, and a great deal of faith (i.e., believing that science will one day explain consciousness). They also are very dogmatic and fundamentalistic.

A real atheist, a true atheist, is a sad creature indeed. I have only seen what a real atheist would be like when I examine the mentally ill. I have seen individuals so disabled that they no longer have a sense of humor, they grab at their food, all their thoughts are a confused jumble, they don't take care of their hygeine, they pace in the hallways as if they are going somewhere, they have no social skills whatsoever, and they do things like stare at an ice machine or a door for hours, sometimes just holding a styrofoam cup halfway to their mouths as if they had lost all reason to either continue drinking or to stop drinking.

I'm not saying that atheists are chronic psychotics. Obviously they are not. What I'm saying is that if they were to really embrace the implications of atheism, that's what they would end up acting like.

Most atheists are just atheists against the major religions. They still have a God--they just think they are that God. They work out their fear of death not be believing they will live after they die, but by believing they are all that exists in the first place. Most atheists are have a lot of faith.

You really should stop generalizing about atheists. You just make yourself look stupid.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post