Atheism and Taxes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-03-2011, 02:52 AM
RE: Atheism and Taxes
I think some of you are wrong... Why can't Atheism be a religion? We believe in something, we believe that there is no God. They believe that there is God. Legally, whats the difference? Atheist and theists BELIEVE in something, none has evidence to support their belief and both can argue about their belief for hours, so we are all very philosophic about that. And (in England I think) there is a Jedi Church, and they are tax free if they are a normal church, not a sect, I'm not sure whats their legal status, but Jedi, c'mon. Smile

But it would be much more fair to the rest of the world if everybody was paying their taxes, not trying to avoid it. In Croatia it's the same thing, religions are tax-free, plus the Catholic church gets huge amounts of money form the state every year, because it's the main religion (90%). And it is very, very likely that USA also gives away money to some of the big religions. Specially states like Utah and the Mormon Church. The way I understand the history of the USA, it was founded as a secular state, without mentioning the church in the Constitution, and now the religion is everywhere, it is tax free, it affects the laws, they get state money... What is with that? That's terrible, religion is a must-have today, you can't escape it, believer or not, you pay for the religion and you get less money, because part of YOUR money goes to some rich preacher. And that means that religion is not a choice any more, it's a necessity, it is imposed to all of us. What can we do? Educate people, and get them to become atheists, so they too can share our fate, and build a critical mass that is supposed to change things... Yeah, I wish.

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-03-2011, 03:58 AM
Hi sandsd8ty (Is that French? Cool international wordplay!)

I agree on your problem with taxes and religion...

Recently we got a question on allowing people to state on their tax form to what philosophical group they want to donate their share... I think that's a good thing, however... I fear that this is just going to divert money from the Roman-catholic church (a good thing: how much richer do they need to get?) to Islam. I think that's choosing between a bullet to the head or lethal injection.
however...
In my country we also pay (direct or indirect) taxes for culture, sport events and so on.
I can understand that you can't always choose to where your money goes. For example, I'd love my money to go to a poem society but I understand most people like soccer or ballet more.

You 'cant have your way when it comes to spending taxes.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
18-03-2011, 04:25 AM
Yeah, but culture and sport is supposed to be funded from state, where else? It represents the state. But religions are already funded from a lot of private funds, and since it is supposed to be a matter of choice, let there be a choice. And it does not represent any state, it represents itself. And I wonder is culture and sport tax free as religions are? I not that sure, you know. But tell you the truth, maybe they are.

-Hunter S. Thompson
18-03-2011, 05:00 AM
(18-03-2011 04:25 AM)Filox Wrote:  And I wonder is culture and sport tax free as religions are? I not that sure, you know. But tell you the truth, maybe they are.
Hmm... Good question. The difference could be there...

On a side note...
Not all sports and culture are funded...

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
18-03-2011, 05:17 AM
Of course, only the most popular once are. But what about religions? I think that EVERY religion, not a sect, is tax-free. So it's much easier for a religious group to get some tax benefits than a sport club or some cultural group, if they are not mainstream sport, or some big theater show. And that does not make too much sense.

-Hunter S. Thompson
18-03-2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:we believe that there is no God.
Actually, most of us think that the odds that God, or any other god, exists are so incredibly small that it's as safe to say that a god doesn't exist as it is to say that we don't live in the matrix. It's possible, but so unlikely that it's hard to describe with words.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
23-03-2011, 09:44 AM (This post was last modified: 23-03-2011 11:49 AM by theophilus.)
I am a Christian and I agree that churches should not be exempt from paying taxes. This exemption means that the church I attend saves some money but it also means that I am forced to help support religions that I don't believe in. I also believe that since we receive services from the government we should pay our share of the taxes that finance these services.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
25-03-2011, 05:40 AM
@ theophilus

Nicely sad.

-Hunter S. Thompson