Atheism and "The meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2016, 05:19 AM
Atheism and "The meaning of life"
And no the answer isn't "42"

I occasionally hear the rather asinine statement by theists, "If you don't believe in god then your life has no meaning".

My typical counter is that my life has lots of meaning to me and as it's the only life I'm ever going to have I mean to live it to the full and enjoy it.

I'm sure you've encountered similar opinions from theists and made similar points.

Here are a few "meanings of life" from other atheists......some quite eloquent and moving.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/when....ujkoOLkPD

The invisible and the non-existent look very much alike
Excreta Tauri Sapientam Fulgeat (The excrement of the bull causes wisdom to flee)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Silly Deity's post
01-11-2016, 06:22 AM
RE: Atheism and "The meaning of life"
I'm part of a major educational project, working without pay for the government, saving your taxpayer dollars. I also volunteer in the on-going effort to save endangered canids.

I don't worry about a reward for all this, in this life or "the next". I'm good with what I get out of it right here and now. Thumbsup
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
01-11-2016, 06:26 AM
Why does it need to have a "meaning"? That would imply that I am here to fulfill a purpose and that reduces me to a cog in a machine. Claiming that a life has to have meaning outside the individual actually devalues that life.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 7 users Like unfogged's post
01-11-2016, 06:51 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 07:18 AM by Velvet.)
My usual take on that is ''So what?''

If god's isn't true, and he would be what makes life meaningful, then life is not meaningful, deal with it.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 1 user Likes Velvet's post
01-11-2016, 06:52 AM
The answer is something like, make some friebds, laugh, read a good book occasionally and yadda yadda yadda

Why panic when you can panik? via da Tapatalk

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
01-11-2016, 06:57 AM
The way they think is natural for a death cult. xianity is in itself anti life.

To me who is fighting for his life, the meaning of life is life itself.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 9 users Like Banjo's post
01-11-2016, 07:03 AM
1 I love my Gwynnies! Banana_zorro
2 The meaning of life is each other. To come to an imaginary conclusion is to fail this simple test. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
01-11-2016, 07:06 AM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 07:09 AM by Velvet.)
Sam Harris has a very interesting argument on that, he says, suppose that you meet one of your friends and he says to you that he came to the divine realization that he was born to be Angelina Jolie's husband, and he just know it, and he is so happy that he will be her husband, and he is ready to build his life plans over that ''fact''.

And then when you say to him that what he says is very unlikely to be true, he goes and says:

1) If I wasn't born to marry Angelina Jolie then life has no purpose for me.
2) I don't want to live on an universe where I wasn't born to marry Angelina Jolie.
3) The faith that I will be Angelina Jolie husband is what makes me happy.
4) If I'm not born to marry Angelina Jolie then I have no source to my objective morality and could just go killing random people.

What would you say to him? (Supposing you wouldn't just run from there without saying anything)

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
[+] 4 users Like Velvet's post
01-11-2016, 09:47 AM
[Image: 258109.jpg]

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 7 users Like TheInquisition's post
01-11-2016, 10:53 AM
We are but a side note in the "grand scheme" the universe isn't even aware of our exsistance. Like so many species before us we will be lost to time. Ether threw extinction or gradual evolution changes that will make us not as we are now.

Such as thoses early shrew like species that would eventually bring about mammals. What would have been should they have not persevered? They live their "pointless" lives running back and forth scrounging for food. Hiding from their shadows. But if it wasn't for them we wouldn't be hear. I would be writing this message, and we would be able to be thinking about the meaninglessness of life.

I've always imagined that humans being the only species on earth to escape the surface. Our goal was to live among the stars. To populate distant planets, and fill this void with as much life as we could. Maybe we are but the start of something much grander then ourselves. unfortunately for me I will not be able to be around to see what achievements future generations may be capable of.

As for my own meaning. I would like to have a family. Allow someone else to get the same finite experiences that I've leaned to enjoy. Maybe finally finish one of these comic books I've been working on for the last 20+ years. Life is it's own reward. So many more things are never going to have what I have. A life and a mind to comprehend it.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin