Atheism and "The meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-11-2016, 11:24 AM
RE: Atheism and "The meaning of life"
If you're searching through life for a point, you've probably missed it.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
01-11-2016, 11:35 AM
That's like asking what is the point of riding a roller coaster that is closing down one last time if it's going to end and you can't ride it again.

It's for the freakin' awesome ride.

Life needs no meaning anyway. You don't need a higher power to be purposeful.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
01-11-2016, 12:05 PM

if you believe life has no meaning because human imagination can't cover all that reality has to offer.
01-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Atheism and "The meaning of life"
Theists must have quite sad and empty life if they need childish stories and space wizard starring in them to fill said life with meaning.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
01-11-2016, 01:06 PM
What kind of life is it, if one takes some other person's direction for the meaning of one's life? Make your own meaning instead of some shit someone else made up!
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
01-11-2016, 01:16 PM
(01-11-2016 05:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I occasionally hear the rather asinine statement by theists, "If you don't believe in god then your life has no meaning".

I wonder if a Christian cancer patient would say that to an atheist oncological surgeon just before he started removing a brain tumour?

Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
01-11-2016, 02:38 PM
I think life has no meaning in itself, but I think each person can give meaning to his/her own life. You're responsible of the things you do, so you have to find what to do to give meaning to your own life.
As for the people who believe that some kind of divinity is doing this for them, I still don't really understand how they find life meaningful by believing they are constantly controled by some kind of super power.
01-11-2016, 02:54 PM (This post was last modified: 01-11-2016 03:26 PM by GenesisNemesis.)
Video RE: Atheism and "The meaning of life"
If someone agrees that there are no reasons to continue living in an atheistic Universe, they would essentially agree that in an atheistic Universe, nothing matters. However, if nothing matters in an atheistic Universe, why does it matter that nothing matters? That is, if it doesn't matter, we would have no reason to be concerned about the fact that nothing matters. It's entirely unimportant, and a non-problem by its own nature. Basically what I'm trying to say is, it doesn't matter whether we have reasons to continue living or not, because nothing matters.
01-11-2016, 03:21 PM
We give meaning to our own lives. For each person that's something different. There's no one size fits all definition. One of the many reasons I hate religion is that they try to take away a person's idea of a meaningful life or what is meaningful to them--and fill it with living for Jesus, god(s). Well, fuck you religion, fuck you.
[+] 5 users Like jennybee's post
15-11-2016, 12:59 AM
(01-11-2016 05:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  I occasionally hear the rather asinine statement by theists, "If you don't believe in god then your life has no meaning".

Thank you for posting this, Silly Deity. If I hear someone make a comment like this, then it motivates me to ponder the following question: why should reality conform to the meaning-making of any particular humanistic worldview?

IMO, it is likely that humanity has uncovered only a very tiny fraction of all the possible ways of making sense of reality and finding meaning in it. As a result, IMO, asserting that one worldview is the only meaningful one, inhibits meaning and ultimately stunts humanity's growth.
[+] 1 user Likes Kernel Sohcahtoa's post