Atheism and "The meaning of life"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-11-2016, 03:54 AM
RE: Atheism and "The meaning of life"
The meaning of life is life itself and to humans it's survival.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-11-2016, 05:13 AM
“Forty-two!" yelled Loonquawl. "Is that all you've got to show for seven and a half million years' work?"
"I checked it very thoroughly," said the computer, "and that quite definitely is the answer. I think the problem, to be quite honest with you, is that you've never actually known what the question is.”

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
28-12-2016, 09:40 AM
(01-11-2016 05:19 AM)Silly Deity Wrote:  And no the answer isn't "42"

I occasionally hear the rather asinine statement by theists, "If you don't believe in god then your life has no meaning".

My typical counter is that my life has lots of meaning to me and as it's the only life I'm ever going to have I mean to live it to the full and enjoy it.

I'm sure you've encountered similar opinions from theists and made similar points.

Here are a few "meanings of life" from other atheists......some quite eloquent and moving.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/tomchivers/when....ujkoOLkPD

I tend to reply that meaning is something that applies to concepts and symbols and that what I think they mean to say is what is the purpose of life. Broadly speaking the purpose of life is to live it. That's what other living things do, but unlike all other living things on Earth, we have the ability to choose our purpose, which is really awesome if you think about it. But this leads to a problem, at least for me. I have too much purpose to fit into one lifetime. So I have to prioritize my purposes and unfortunately a lot of them will have to go unfulfilled. One of my biggest purposes in life is cycling. I love it and it brings me so much joy. Another is working with wood making beautiful things to bring joy to peoples' lives and I'm proud to say that thousands of people all over the world use my products daily and indeed they are happier for it.

When I die, I will no longer have a purpose except to feed other living things with my stored energy. That's why I'd like to be buried in the forest naked as the day I came crying into this world, to feed the trees that I love so much.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
28-12-2016, 03:21 PM

though it seems an odd attempted insult as if you believe in a rewarding afterlife, the actual life is one lessened of its value.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson