Atheism and anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 02:34 PM
Atheism and anxiety
When I was a devout christian, I struggled with panic attacks and anxiety for years and years. Often, it was at night, when my heart would begin to palpitate and I would be frightened that I was going to die.

But here's the thing: I believed unquestioningly that I was going to heaven. No doubts about that. So, why was I so anxious and scared of dying?

Fast forward to last year when I finally gave up religion for good...I haven't had a single panic attack since. I have given up all hope of an afterlife in heaven, and have accepted this one life as my only existence. I suddenly found meaning in my life, where I would previously just look ahead to the afterlife (you know, embrace the suck now, so you can enjoy your eternal reward in heaven).

The stupid shit I used to get myself tangled up in and obsess over is mostly gone. I now ask myself: "Will this shitty situation really matter to me in a year? In five years?" The answer is - NO.

We only have so many fucks to give in this single life of ours; make them count.

-Mike
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 12 users Like melliott79's post
12-04-2017, 02:42 PM
RE: Atheism and anxiety
Hug

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
12-04-2017, 02:50 PM
Thumbsup I know that my overall anxiety certainly diminished greatly once I stopped listening to and repeating the lies.
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
12-04-2017, 02:54 PM
(12-04-2017 02:50 PM)Fireball Wrote:  Thumbsup I know that my overall anxiety certainly diminished greatly once I stopped listening to and repeating the lies.

Exactly right! We stop lying to ourselves and begin to accept and appreciate our existence more. Thanks for sharing Smile
[+] 3 users Like melliott79's post
12-04-2017, 02:56 PM
Huh, my experience was the total opposite. When I finally shed my religious thinking, the reality of my mortality hit me like a bullet train.

I began to have constant panic attacks, diagnosed myself with every possible heart disease, could barely eat anything solid, spent many high school classes in the nurse's office. Eventually culminated into a full on mental breakdown that landed me in the ER.

The panic continued to plague me even after I came to terms and even began to prefer oblivion. I had good years and dreadful years. Last year was the worst.

Thankfully, I've got a decent handle on things now. Death doesn't scare me. Dying does, just because it's gonna suck.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
[+] 3 users Like Loom's post
12-04-2017, 02:58 PM
(12-04-2017 02:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  Thankfully, I've got a decent handle on things now. Death doesn't scare me. Dying does, just because it's gonna suck.

I wanna go out tripping my balls off. Might be fun.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 03:03 PM
(12-04-2017 02:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  Huh, my experience was the total opposite. When I finally shed my religious thinking, the reality of my mortality hit me like a bullet train.

I began to have constant panic attacks, diagnosed myself with every possible heart disease, could barely eat anything solid, spent many high school classes in the nurse's office. Eventually culminated into a full on mental breakdown that landed me in the ER.

The panic continued to plague me even after I came to terms and even began to prefer oblivion. I had good years and dreadful years. Last year was the worst.

Thankfully, I've got a decent handle on things now. Death doesn't scare me. Dying does, just because it's gonna suck.

Damn, I'm really sorry to read this. I should add that my epiphany didn't hit me right away. But, I read two incredible books that really helped me deal with the specter of death: 1. "The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker. 2. "Comforting Thoughts About Death That Have Nothing To Do With God" by Greta Christina.

I highly recommend them both. If you ever want to sidebar on the subject, let me know Smile

-Mike
[+] 3 users Like melliott79's post
12-04-2017, 03:15 PM
(12-04-2017 02:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 02:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  Thankfully, I've got a decent handle on things now. Death doesn't scare me. Dying does, just because it's gonna suck.

I wanna go out tripping my balls off. Might be fun.

Professor Girly teaches the Circumference a new catch phrase...now I’m

[Image: tripping-xxxxx-bro.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
12-04-2017, 03:23 PM
(12-04-2017 02:34 PM)melliott79 Wrote:  When I was a devout christian, I struggled with panic attacks and anxiety for years and years. Often, it was at night, when my heart would begin to palpitate and I would be frightened that I was going to die.

But here's the thing: I believed unquestioningly that I was going to heaven. No doubts about that. So, why was I so anxious and scared of dying?

Fast forward to last year when I finally gave up religion for good...I haven't had a single panic attack since. I have given up all hope of an afterlife in heaven, and have accepted this one life as my only existence. I suddenly found meaning in my life, where I would previously just look ahead to the afterlife (you know, embrace the suck now, so you can enjoy your eternal reward in heaven).

The stupid shit I used to get myself tangled up in and obsess over is mostly gone. I now ask myself: "Will this shitty situation really matter to me in a year? In five years?" The answer is - NO.

We only have so many fucks to give in this single life of ours; make them count.

-Mike

And as you get older the better it get. You care more about you own opinion and less about the opinions of others. Make your own mind up.
[+] 1 user Likes Squidlooking's post
12-04-2017, 03:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 03:35 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(12-04-2017 02:34 PM)melliott79 Wrote:  Fast forward to last year when I finally gave up religion for good...I haven't had a single panic attack since.

I had panic attacks in the first several years after giving up on my mystical ideas, at least until I worked through them later. Old habits-of-mind die hard. Those ideas all made a nice story, but they were unverifiable and impossibly unlikely. Now I can't believe I bought into all that stuff for so long.

These days I cringe only when I think about how I wasted my time. I usually find it a relief I no longer believe such far-fetched and disturbing ideas.

Shocking
[+] 4 users Like Thoreauvian's post