Atheism and anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 03:35 PM
RE: Atheism and anxiety
(12-04-2017 03:03 PM)melliott79 Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 02:56 PM)Loom Wrote:  Huh, my experience was the total opposite. When I finally shed my religious thinking, the reality of my mortality hit me like a bullet train.

I began to have constant panic attacks, diagnosed myself with every possible heart disease, could barely eat anything solid, spent many high school classes in the nurse's office. Eventually culminated into a full on mental breakdown that landed me in the ER.

The panic continued to plague me even after I came to terms and even began to prefer oblivion. I had good years and dreadful years. Last year was the worst.

Thankfully, I've got a decent handle on things now. Death doesn't scare me. Dying does, just because it's gonna suck.

Damn, I'm really sorry to read this. I should add that my epiphany didn't hit me right away. But, I read two incredible books that really helped me deal with the specter of death: 1. "The Denial of Death" by Ernest Becker. 2. "Comforting Thoughts About Death That Have Nothing To Do With God" by Greta Christina.

I highly recommend them both. If you ever want to sidebar on the subject, let me know Smile

-Mike

I'll give 'em a looksie Smile

As dreadful as the anxiety has been, I'm more than happy to take it as the cost for shedding dogmatic shite.

Every second of this life has become infinetly more precious now that it is finite. Everything seems clearer, logical, and I feel liberated.

Ignorance is not to be ignored.

Check out my DA gallery! http://oo-kiri-oo.deviantart.com/gallery/
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Loom's post
12-04-2017, 04:37 PM
That is fantastic to hear! Smile

Maybe the stress of having to keep up a show for God made you anxious? Just pitching a guess. You'd be spending an infinite amount of time in a place determined by your actions during this finite life. That sounds pretty scary to me if I believed it was true.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-04-2017, 09:23 AM
I've always been an atheist and have had Anxiety issues all my life, from what I recall. More recently it's gotten a lot worse, (many years ago I'd only have 1 major panic attack a year, for example), to the point where i'm on medication, but it's manageable, and up until I got my pills, I actually didn't know there was a "thing" that I'd be categorized under, I just thought it was me being weird lol.

The plus to this is I know what I'm dealing with now and can try to calm myself ahead of time, if a stressful situation is coming up.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
I now sell T-Shirts Here! Please Check it out Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
19-04-2017, 02:20 AM
I'm also an atheist lifer, and I am plagued with anxiety, but not about anything related to death. That's the one thing I don't fear in the slightest. I just try to keep myself alive because I'm (hopefully) a benefit to others.

I'm on meds for it, which does help.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
19-04-2017, 02:26 AM
(19-04-2017 02:20 AM)Robvalue Wrote:  I'm also an atheist lifer, and I am plagued with anxiety, but not about anything related to death. That's the one thing I don't fear in the slightest. I just try to keep myself alive because I'm (hopefully) a benefit to others.

I'm on meds for it, which does help.

I find the med's help me a lot, especially when I have situations that I would normally just meltdown over. Then again, maybe its mostly a placebo effect, but it works so I'll take it lol.

I'm not particularly anxious about a subject or anything, I just end up having like "rush's" of thoughts about stuff, which sends me into over drive and I completely lose it. Something to do with my brain always being "on" in the subconscious part, so says my doctor anyway.

On the plus side, I have a near photographic memory because of it, so silver linings and all that lol.

"I don't do magic, Morty, I do science. One takes brains, the other takes dark eye liner" - Rick
[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
19-04-2017, 02:29 AM
Yeah, I'm often just anxious, and not about anything in particular. It's a horrible feeling. It's especially infuriating as I pride myself on being a rational person, yet I'm often distressed by feelings that "something bad is going to happen", based on no evidence.

[+] 2 users Like Robvalue's post
19-04-2017, 02:48 AM
Yeah, I'm in the same boat on that one. Sucks when your mind/general thoughts are completely rational, but you can't stop yourself from having anxiety attacks or feeling like crap.

Oh well, at least we know we have it, so we can work with it as best as possible.

19-04-2017, 09:36 AM
(19-04-2017 02:48 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Yeah, I'm in the same boat on that one. Sucks when your mind/general thoughts are completely rational, but you can't stop yourself from having anxiety attacks or feeling like crap.

Another passenger on that boat, I have exactly the same problem. It triggers obsessive thinking, when I have anxiety on something (basically almost all the time with only some short relief periods), I start thinking it over and over, fact checking everything to comfort me that I have no reasons to be anxious, and if it works (just a little bit), I know I'll start the same thinking the day after, because it's never enough to get rid of the anxiety. The result is just that my brain is totally exhausted about thinking all the time, especially as it tries to stay focus on maintaining daily activities (like work to mention the most important) while keeping the background thinking all the time.
[+] 2 users Like Sturm's post
19-04-2017, 09:45 AM
Obsessive thinking can me a proper bastard, sometimes it's not in an anxious way either, but I'll just get stuck on a topic in my head, and I have to fully 100% find out as much as possible, whether its general information or like odd stuff I would never do like moving to another country, [which goes so far as to look for houses and stuff like that].

It sounds really lame, but when you realise you're doing it, it takes a while to "come down" and chill out a bit.

19-04-2017, 10:29 AM
(19-04-2017 09:45 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Obsessive thinking can me a proper bastard, sometimes it's not in an anxious way either, but I'll just get stuck on a topic in my head, and I have to fully 100% find out as much as possible, whether its general information or like odd stuff I would never do like moving to another country, [which goes so far as to look for houses and stuff like that].

It sounds really lame, but when you realise you're doing it, it takes a while to "come down" and chill out a bit.

Oh, yes, I also do those kind of things (digging a topic I have no real interest for, for no reason...like checking weather forecast in countries I'm not even planning to visit), but I didn't even think about it as obsessive thoughts, because it's time consuming, but not so bothering. I don't even pay attention to this anymore (and this is also how I learn stuff sometimes), also in those cases, my thought are linear, I mean I look for information, but don't start again the process. For me what I really consider as obsessive (in other words, really bothering), is the circling process of thinking over and over the same thing, this is really bothering, and this is what I really can't stop.
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post