Atheism and anxiety

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-04-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: Atheism and anxiety
Oh, man, that's exactly me! I'm in a bit of a pickle, because I have anxiety, depression, and ADHD. So my anxiety increases my depression, which worsens the ADHD and saps my motivation, so I take ADHD medicine, which works with my anti-depressants to help my mood but also makes me research something in intense detail for hours unless I have a solid block of work to focus on.

On the plus side, I can tell you about tracing my lineage back to the figure generally considered to be King Arthur.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kmc's post
19-04-2017, 03:08 PM
(19-04-2017 12:00 PM)kmc Wrote:  Oh, man, that's exactly me! I'm in a bit of a pickle, because I have anxiety, depression, and ADHD. So my anxiety increases my depression, which worsens the ADHD and saps my motivation, so I take ADHD medicine, which works with my anti-depressants to help my mood but also makes me research something in intense detail for hours unless I have a solid block of work to focus on.

On the plus side, I can tell you about tracing my lineage back to the figure generally considered to be King Arthur.

Obsessive thoughts, anxiety and depression...the winning combination....I also have this kind of vicious circle, maybe not in the same order. Anxiety triggers obsessive thoughts, obsessive thoughts make me exhausted, I have less energy and motivation, and it worsens my depression. But in my case, I normally just have a moderate depression (but severe anxiety and obsessions), my depression turned very bad last year because of my life situation, but since I made a big change in my life, it's reversing back to moderate depression (I hope so), so it's not so bad at the moment. For the lack of motivation, I now push myself to do things, sometimes the motivation comes when I'm doing an activity, and if not, at least it forces me to focus on something else than the thoughts in my head.
[+] 3 users Like Sturm's post
20-04-2017, 02:13 AM
(19-04-2017 10:29 AM)Sturm Wrote:  
(19-04-2017 09:45 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Obsessive thinking can me a proper bastard, sometimes it's not in an anxious way either, but I'll just get stuck on a topic in my head, and I have to fully 100% find out as much as possible, whether its general information or like odd stuff I would never do like moving to another country, [which goes so far as to look for houses and stuff like that].

It sounds really lame, but when you realise you're doing it, it takes a while to "come down" and chill out a bit.

Oh, yes, I also do those kind of things (digging a topic I have no real interest for, for no reason...like checking weather forecast in countries I'm not even planning to visit), but I didn't even think about it as obsessive thoughts, because it's time consuming, but not so bothering. I don't even pay attention to this anymore (and this is also how I learn stuff sometimes), also in those cases, my thought are linear, I mean I look for information, but don't start again the process. For me what I really consider as obsessive (in other words, really bothering), is the circling process of thinking over and over the same thing, this is really bothering, and this is what I really can't stop.
That's the only plus behind all this, you get to learn a lot about things Laugh out load

Sometimes it's useless information, but other times its about people/science/the world/etc and can [and has been] quite helpful when talking to people from different backgrounds or those that have different interests to my own.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
29-04-2017, 07:02 PM
Ignorance is bliss.
30-04-2017, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I have known people turn to religion when in mental health crisis, but it never worked.

It is possible that religion helps with lesser anxiety, as a comforter. I don't know of specific cases. A Buddhist monk once told me, "Buddhism is not a cure for mental illness."

D.
30-04-2017, 05:21 AM
(12-04-2017 02:34 PM)melliott79 Wrote:  When I was a devout christian, I struggled with panic attacks and anxiety for years and years. Often, it was at night, when my heart would begin to palpitate and I would be frightened that I was going to die.

But here's the thing: I believed unquestioningly that I was going to heaven. No doubts about that. So, why was I so anxious and scared of dying?

Fast forward to last year when I finally gave up religion for good...I haven't had a single panic attack since. I have given up all hope of an afterlife in heaven, and have accepted this one life as my only existence. I suddenly found meaning in my life, where I would previously just look ahead to the afterlife (you know, embrace the suck now, so you can enjoy your eternal reward in heaven).

The stupid shit I used to get myself tangled up in and obsess over is mostly gone. I now ask myself: "Will this shitty situation really matter to me in a year? In five years?" The answer is - NO.

We only have so many fucks to give in this single life of ours; make them count.

-Mike

While a false belief in a superstition can compound a medical condition, results still vary. You can have depression and anxiety even if raised without a religion too.

I ditched my on position on god and religion back in the mid 90s. But I still have depression and anxiety for other reasons. I think you should never look at it as cured and more along the lines of being in a better position to cope.

My mom died in March, but even prior to that, my biggest fear was anything big or small health wise happening to her. You get into all the "what ifs" and it spirals no matter what. But yea, when you don't have that Superman vs Lex Luther battling over the neurons in your head, while it still can be tough, viewing things naturally, does help.

You are still going to have ups and downs ahead of you regardless. You will face other family and friends in the future having health problems, and even ultimately yourself, we are all finite. But, the good part is, just like with my mom, you have the time now to enjoy them, and when they are gone, you still have those good memories. No fictional forever can replace the real time you have now.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
30-04-2017, 05:29 AM
I never had religious anxiety. i was brought up as a catholic, but, my parents having been what they were, they left it to their children to find their own ways in life. No religious pressure whatsoever.

Nonetheless I suffer from anxiety attacks. Since 2008 when the bastards lost me everything I ever worked for. My kind of anxiety comes from real life issues, such as not knowing how to pay the next bills.

[Image: Labrador%20and%20Title.jpg]
30-04-2017, 06:00 AM
(30-04-2017 05:29 AM)abaris Wrote:  I never had religious anxiety. i was brought up as a catholic, but, my parents having been what they were, they left it to their children to find their own ways in life. No religious pressure whatsoever.

Nonetheless I suffer from anxiety attacks. Since 2008 when the bastards lost me everything I ever worked for. My kind of anxiety comes from real life issues, such as not knowing how to pay the next bills.

One horrible thing lack of health care causes, and lack of livable wages for both red and blue states cause, is ownership or worker, is stuff like this. Individual and family stability matter, and when you don't have that, others, not you, but others can end up addicted, because of stress, or because of health problems due to being over worked and not knowing how you are going to survive.

I hate how far too much of society judges people with mental illness/addictions, even when they are non violent. You should not be stigmatized for that. I think far too many right wing assholes over simplify it with "just do it" and "if you have problems you are a piece of shit".

There is a war, an economic war, not against billionaires, but one the billionaires are waging on the middle class and poor. Problem is, they are too stupid to see that by not providing, it costs society far more in health problems and loss of productivity.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user