Atheism and dating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2015, 01:56 AM
Atheism and dating
hello....Smile.....this is my 1st thread here....
I'm an atheist from India, a place where religion probably controls everything.
anyway, I was dating this Muslim, she was okay with things at 1st but she did try to convince me of Islam a few times, I read most of the Quran and many articles on Islam for her because I respected her. Though, the whole religion was absolute bullshit, I never told anything offensive against it to her. After a few months, when everything was going well(atleast I thought so), she comes and tells me that she can't date me anymore because I would never convert to Islam and dating someone like me would be a disgrace to her family and I'm somehow inferior because I don't follow her faith. It's been 2 months and I still miss her.......Sad
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-05-2015, 03:00 AM
RE: Atheism and dating
Welcome to TTA.

Y'know what? That sucks.

You're fighting more than just ignorance, you're fighting centuries-long established traditions... culturally ingrained ignorance.

You have my sympathy but I don't think there's much you can do about it.

I could make some noises about "plenty of fish in the sea" but I know that doesn't make the pain go away.

Hug

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
13-05-2015, 03:35 AM
thank you......Smile.....
13-05-2015, 07:02 AM
Yet another reason how religion poisons everything. Sorry buddy. Hug

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
13-05-2015, 07:11 AM
(13-05-2015 07:02 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Yet another reason how religion poisons everything. Sorry buddy. Hug
yea, true but I just don't like the way people are judged on the basis of religion and i'm sure this crap will continue for ages
13-05-2015, 07:13 AM
I was in a rship with someone and he was an agnostic when I was a christian. We broke up several times because of my beliefs and his non-beliefs. My church didn't believe you should be with someone unless you were equally "yolked." Needless to say, religion created a lot of problems in our rship. Then, in that same rship, I was on the other side of things when I became an atheist and he became spiritual. So then that created more problems...Ultimately we broke up, but surprisingly it wasn't for religious reasons. But I definitely think religious issues caused things to unravel.

I am sorry you are missing your SO. Sad It really does suck.
13-05-2015, 07:19 AM
(13-05-2015 01:56 AM)alpha8994 Wrote:  hello....Smile.....this is my 1st thread here....
anyway, I was dating this Muslim, she was okay with things at 1st but she did try to convince me of Islam a few times, I read most of the Quran and many articles on Islam for her because I respected her. Though, the whole religion was absolute bullshit, I never told anything offensive against it to her. After a few months, when everything was going well(atleast I thought so), she comes and tells me that she can't date me anymore because I would never convert to Islam and dating someone like me would be a disgrace to her family and I'm somehow inferior because I don't follow her faith. It's been 2 months and I still miss her.......Sad

Why do you miss her? I think you miss the companionship, anyone would. But you don't need that kind of psychological bullying in your life. I have believing family members and a believing mother. I have however cut off my older brother because he emotionally sucked the life out of me every time I was around him and everything was doomsday religious crap from him. No one has the right to suck the life out of you.

Even outside the issue of religion, I cut off a girlfriend who was uber jealous to the point she punched me in the face because she thought I had flirted with another women. I slammed on my brakes and told her to get out of the car.

I would never merely cut someone off in my family for holding beliefs I find not to be true. I cant date a religious person myself but I certainly wouldn't disown a friend or family member who does hold beliefs

I find the "love" I felt as a teen and young adult really amounted to nothing more than my hormones. But if she wasn't willing to continue dating you because of you not converting, that is her baggage, not yours.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2015, 07:21 AM
(13-05-2015 07:13 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I was in a rship with someone and he was an agnostic when I was a christian. We broke up several times because of my beliefs and his non-beliefs. My church didn't believe you should be with someone unless you were equally "yolked." Needless to say, religion created a lot of problems in our rship. Then, in that same rship, I was on the other side of things when I became an atheist and he became spiritual. So then that created more problems...Ultimately we broke up, but surprisingly it wasn't for religious reasons. But I definitely think religious issues caused things to unravel.

I am sorry you are missing your SO. Sad It really does suck.

thank you
, and I'm sorry about your relationship.
I just can't digest it sometimes, it's like everyone who follows their faith are so sure of their god, atleast I tried reading her scriptures, she didn't even consider my side. well, as they say..."Ignorance is bliss"
13-05-2015, 07:25 AM
(13-05-2015 07:19 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(13-05-2015 01:56 AM)alpha8994 Wrote:  hello....Smile.....this is my 1st thread here....

Why do you miss her? I think you miss the companionship, anyone would. But you don't need that kind of psychological bullying in your life. I have believing family members and a believing mother. I have however cut off my older brother because he emotionally sucked the life out of me every time I was around him and everything was doomsday religious crap from him. No one has the right to suck the life out of you.

Even outside the issue of religion, I cut off a girlfriend who was uber jealous to the point she punched me in the face because she thought I had flirted with another women. I slammed on my brakes and told her to get out of the car.

I would never merely cut someone off in my family for holding beliefs I find not to be true. I cant date a religious person myself but I certainly wouldn't disown a friend or family member who does hold beliefs

I find the "love" I felt as a teen and young adult really amounted to nothing more than my hormones. But if she wasn't willing to continue dating you because of you not converting, that is her baggage, not yours.

yea, I guess you are right and I can see many people going through similar problems.......and maybe you are right, maybe, I just miss the companionship but on the other hand, I'm misanthropic....so, I hate most of the humans anywayBig Grin.....
I guess, I'll find a better girl but she had impacted a lot on my life and it still hurts to think about her, I hope time heals everything
[+] 1 user Likes alpha8994's post
13-05-2015, 03:41 PM
My wife was semi-catholic when we first met. She is now a proud atheist
[+] 2 users Like TheStraightener's post