Atheism and depression

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2010, 01:46 PM
Atheism and depression
Hey,

I recently abandoned theism and became an atheist.

At first it was liberating , I stopped believing in hell , conspiracies and other nonsense.I felt free.

But now i feel out of sync with my friends and isolated.I am also a bit depressed lately - as a combination of a few factors.

Anyone go through this ? How did you get out of it ?
Any books or documentaries you can recommend ?
Huh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2010, 03:51 PM
RE: Atheism and depression
Hey, congrats on seeing the truth!

I haven't had to deal with isolation because of my atheism, but I found that a really great book for making me feel like the world is an absolutely wonderful, sublime place is Richard Dawkins' The Greatest Show on Earth.

There are also some good videos on The Thinking Atheist Youtube Channel that you should check out. The first link is a video, the second contains stories about atheists' experiences "coming out". I hope they're helpful ^.^

You Are Not Alone

Podcast

"Remember, my friend, that knowledge is stronger than memory, and we should not trust the weaker." - Dr. Van Helsing, Dracula
18-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Thanks

I'll check it out.

I feel liberated but a bit isolated.
Still , a moment of truth is better than a lifetime of ignorance.
18-10-2010, 06:46 PM
being online with liked-minded people helps out too.
18-10-2010, 07:00 PM
Yes it does actually ...

It's like building a barrier to keep negative thoughts away.

Speaking of which , any chat-rooms you know of that are atheist friendly ?
18-10-2010, 08:46 PM

Have you checked for atheist communities, book clubs, etc. in your city? I was surprised to find that my small town of 25,000 has a freethinkers club that meets once a month. I haven't gone yet, but I plan to try it out.
Quote this message in a reply
18-10-2010, 11:38 PM
(18-10-2010 01:46 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  But now i feel out of sync with my friends and isolated.I am also a bit depressed lately - as a combination of a few factors.

Huh

Change will usually make you feel that way for a while. Stepping outside your comfort zone is...well.....uncomfortable. You will find a new comfort zone, but don't get too comfortable in it. You need to step outside it and challenge yourself at times. This will keep you prepared to deal with uncomfortable situations, which inevitably occur from time to time.
19-10-2010, 07:13 AM
I'm looking into atheist and humanist organisations in my town.

The problem is I live in Eastern Europe , and religion is a BIG problem here.
IT was suppressed under certain communist authorities and now people see it as a holy victim.

Leaving aside the massacres that took place in various countries in the name of fate... Sad
19-10-2010, 09:58 AM
(19-10-2010 07:13 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  The problem is I live in Eastern Europe , and religion is a BIG problem here.
IT was suppressed under certain communist authorities and now people see it as a holy victim.

In which country you live in? In one which has those cool alphabets?

Atheism must be heavily connected into communism there, even in Finland those people who smuggled russian bibles to russia (and their fans of course) don't usually call the soviet union ''the soviet union'', but ''the atheist union''.

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
19-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Nah , Romania , home of Dracula , the only country to violently overthrow communism - just so you get an idea how well we get along Smile).

On a side note in some villages they still dig up the dead , burn their hearts and drink the ashes with water to prevent "Strigoi" (loosely translated means ghost)

There are some communities of atheists but the websites don't seem updated so I decided to come here.Loved the thinking atheist videos on youtube while going through my de-conversion process, so I rushed to the forum.

The one with the "cool alphabets" is probably Russia , see the Cyrillic alphabet.
(PS : the nr 800 looks like a butt)

And yes I am aware that a post this long makes me a bastard.... :-p