Atheism and morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 04:05 PM
Atheism and morality
I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality. That is, that some things are "really right" and others are "really wrong" regardless of any particular human's opinion. I'm curious to hear from members here about this. Obviously, morality is a very simple problem for theists.....God decides what is moral for them, but I want to hear from atheists who feel that there is a rightness and wrongness (good and evil) property of our actions. I believe that we all just make up our own set of morals, and that nothing in the universe except humans, really cares if you save the world, or destroy an entire nation of people. It's not that I don't want to be moral, quite the contrary, I try to use the golden rule and I try to be completely honest all the time. I just don't want to delude myself into believing that some things are "really right" or "really wrong" when the logical part of my mind tells me this is impossible.

Thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Matt Finney's post
23-05-2015, 04:07 PM
RE: Atheism and morality
(23-05-2015 04:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality.

I've noticed that many atheists do not believe in an absolute morality.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 19 users Like GirlyMan's post
23-05-2015, 04:15 PM
Morals are for people who don't know how to be a decent person.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 6 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-05-2015, 04:17 PM
Re: Atheism and morality
I've noticed that morals derived from god are often questionable.
[+] 4 users Like mecanna's post
23-05-2015, 04:22 PM
(23-05-2015 04:17 PM)mecanna Wrote:  I've noticed that morals derived from god are often questionable.

That's cuz those "morals" are cooked up by the same halfassed asshat that cooked up the "god"....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 3 users Like onlinebiker's post
23-05-2015, 04:34 PM
Morality is NOT absolute. That is not to say "everything goes". Long term our species changes and adapts. What was acceptable 1,000 years ago, such as owning slaves, is no longer acceptable today.

And the idea that a label, of any kind, theist or atheist, owns a patent on morality is absurd. Nobody invented it. Our species ability to be cruel or compassionate is in our evolution. Evolutionary morality long term is that which fosters cooperation and empathy. The downside to that is that our species divides along tribal lines in labels like religion, nationalism, race, political views, and economic models.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Brian37's post
23-05-2015, 04:50 PM
(23-05-2015 04:17 PM)mecanna Wrote:  I've noticed that morals derived from god are often questionable.

I noticed that gods morality changes over time. Sometimes a sociopath, sometimes a genocidal sociopath. See the difference there?

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-05-2015, 04:51 PM
(23-05-2015 04:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality.

I'm sure you can find some who do but I think they'd be hard pressed to justify it. Personally, I don't think I've ever met any who did.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 2 users Like unfogged's post
23-05-2015, 04:53 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 07:43 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-05-2015 04:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality. That is, that some things are "really right" and others are "really wrong" regardless of any particular human's opinion. I'm curious to hear from members here about this. Obviously, morality is a very simple problem for theists.....God decides what is moral for them, but I want to hear from atheists who feel that there is a rightness and wrongness (good and evil) property of our actions. I believe that we all just make up our own set of morals, and that nothing in the universe except humans, really cares if you save the world, or destroy an entire nation of people. It's not that I don't want to be moral, quite the contrary, I try to use the golden rule and I try to be completely honest all the time. I just don't want to delude myself into believing that some things are "really right" or "really wrong" when the logical part of my mind tells me this is impossible.

Thoughts?

I've noticed that many people talk about all the atheists they talk to,
and I think they might know two at the most. Yes

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
23-05-2015, 05:06 PM
(23-05-2015 04:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality. That is, that some things are "really right" and others are "really wrong" regardless of any particular human's opinion. I'm curious to hear from members here about this. Obviously, morality is a very simple problem for theists.....God decides what is moral for them, but I want to hear from atheists who feel that there is a rightness and wrongness (good and evil) property of our actions. I believe that we all just make up our own set of morals, and that nothing in the universe except humans, really cares if you save the world, or destroy an entire nation of people. It's not that I don't want to be moral, quite the contrary, I try to use the golden rule and I try to be completely honest all the time. I just don't want to delude myself into believing that some things are "really right" or "really wrong" when the logical part of my mind tells me this is impossible.

Thoughts?

If this is your assumption based on what you thought people were saying in the proof Moses thread, then I get get where you think that's the case but it's not what you're seeing people hold. If you see this elsewhere, I'm curious where it is because it is less common, but out there, that atheists believe in objective morality.

I'm asking that because people seem to get in a tunneled loop when they see an atheist talking to a theist talking in the hypothetical IF there was an objective morality if they know that theist believes in it. So they're functioning their conversation that way. I've seen other posters here bring up this exact point because of seeing topics that are going that way and viewing it as objective moral belief on the atheists part.

On the other note of this topic, Do you know anything about philosophical ideas such as the social contract and other moral value ideas. By saying we make up, do you mean individually or just overall as groups of people? Many studies would have it seem we lump moral thoughts via social interaction. That doesn't mean they believe in an objective morality.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post