Atheism and morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-05-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Atheism and morality
(26-05-2015 07:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 07:11 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  No one ever said behavior had to be genetic. It isn't a false analogy, you just don't like it.

Don't like what? It's quite difficult even to parse out a single thing you're getting at, your equivocation of cultural and biological evolution, your support for memetics, only further muddies the water here. You seem to introduce a bunch of shit, into a few tweet size sentences, and imagine that someone I'm supposed to know what is you're talking about. You're all over the place.

Quote:For instance, do you think nesting is genetic? Is it heritable?

Sure.

Good Lord, don't you ever get tired? Tongue For you...

[Image: 450x365_q95.jpg]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-05-2015, 07:20 PM
Atheism and morality
But go back to my original point explaining how morality (a behavior) is a trait derived from convergent evolution if you're confused about what it is you're rejecting.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
26-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Atheism and morality
Behavior and evolution
http://www.sciencedaily.com/search/?keyw...&gsc.sort=

-Rick
26-05-2015, 07:22 PM
(26-05-2015 06:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Of course you don’t like the term “love”, though I’m pretty sure you tell your wife and kids that you do love them.
I've never said that I don't like the term "love". In our past conversation I explained that I use the term differently to you, I don't understand Christian love. So in conversation you and I talk cross purposes when using this word.
(26-05-2015 06:12 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  What I think is funny is that you deride those who might act empathetically towards strangers, as actings out of ideals and dreams, and fuzzy feelings, while confessing to acting in such a way in regards to your family.
I don't deride. I don't make a derogatory judgement. If you don't understand the difference between a father looking out for his own dependent 6 year old in comparison to a stranger looking out for an independent adult then perhaps you might be happy living in a Nanny state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state.

Perhaps that is why you might be comfortable as a grown adult to imagine your god as a father figure, looking out for you, giving you permission, guiding you, judging you and dishing out rewards and punishment for good and bad behaviour.

Sorry if this doesn't apply to you. Many Christians have expressed to me this type of relationship between them and their god.
26-05-2015, 07:23 PM
Atheism and morality
There are entire fields of evolutionary biology and paleobiology devoted to the study of the evolution of behaviors as well as their effects on morphological adaptations.

Like the Red Queen hypothesis and altruism and commensalism and parasitism

-Rick
26-05-2015, 07:25 PM
Atheism and morality
Behaviors evolve and leave their mark on the rocks. Like the evolution of new feeding strategies and behaviors (like tiering).

But, in order to preserve your view of morality, you have to assume that one behavior in humans (culture, and somehow by extension, morality) don't follow this pattern. Really?

-Rick
26-05-2015, 07:43 PM
Atheism and morality
(26-05-2015 07:22 PM)Stevil Wrote:  [quote='
I don't deride. I don't make a derogatory judgement. If you don't understand the difference between a father looking out for his own dependent 6 year old in comparison to a stranger looking out for an independent adult then perhaps you might be happy living in a Nanny state http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nanny_state.

I'm not sure why you use family to be exclusive to your six year old children, and strangers to be exclusively adults? Your family could just as well be all independent adults and the strangers could just as well be all 6 year children.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
26-05-2015, 08:08 PM
(26-05-2015 05:10 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  To suggest that some things are evil, it to suggest either an absolute or objective morality.

Not at all. I think that some things are evil and others are good, and I don't feel the need to append "by my own view" or other disclaimer simply because others do not understand the subjective nature of morality.

If you wish to show Dawkins supporting the idea of absolute morality, you'll need something a little less vague and more direct.

Looks like you're trying to paste your views under his.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-05-2015, 08:13 PM
(26-05-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 05:32 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I think your starting to venture into the pseudo-science territory. How is culture a biological trait? A person's cultural beliefs, and practices can change, while you're pretty much stuck with you genes.

You don't think culture is a behavior?

It is an extra-genetic behavior. You mother might have liked the Cars, that doesn't mean you have a taste for power pop built into your biology.

Human behavior is so complex that ascribing any one cause to any one behavior is not really cogent.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
26-05-2015, 08:16 PM
Atheism and morality
(26-05-2015 08:13 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(26-05-2015 05:35 PM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  You don't think culture is a behavior?

It is an extra-genetic behavior. You mother might have liked the Cars, that doesn't mean you have a taste for power pop built into your biology.

Human behavior is so complex that ascribing any one cause to any one behavior is not really cogent.

Behavior in general is complex. No need to limit it to humans.

-Rick