Atheism and morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 01:56 PM
RE: Atheism and morality
(27-05-2015 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  That doesn't really follow. There are things that are objectively true in the correct context. You keep ignoring context.

And I agree with you, I'm not sure if evolutionkills, and clydelee do.

To quote evolutionkills: ""And if it's dependent on context, it's not objective, it's subjective. "

I would think a claim that 2 apples plus 2 apples, equals five apples is objectively wrong, but apparently not for Clyde.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 01:59 PM
(27-05-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  To quote evolutionkills: ""And if it's dependent on context, it's not objective, it's subjective. "

So, you're saying that something can be "objectively" dependent on context?

(27-05-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would think a claim that 2 apples plus 2 apples, equals five apples is objectively wrong, but apparently not for Clyde.

... which only goes to show that you don't understand how mathematical rulesets are constructed.
(yes, constructed)

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
27-05-2015, 02:03 PM
Atheism and morality
(27-05-2015 01:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  To quote evolutionkills: ""And if it's dependent on context, it's not objective, it's subjective. "

(27-05-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would think a claim that 2 apples plus 2 apples, equals five apples is objectively wrong, but apparently not for Clyde.

... which only goes to show that you don't understand how mathematical rulesets are constructed.
(yes, constructed)

Good luck with the conversation. It's apparent that it not only hasn't gone anywhere but won't go anywhere. Because while he isn't arguing for his objective morality, he still expects you to be convinced it's true.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
27-05-2015, 02:08 PM
(27-05-2015 12:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  This whole repeating circle thing has always been interesting to me. I see people glazing over what I said, never taking any of it. And you see me as glazing things over, never taking it in. I see people ignoring it, and going in circles, repeating the same statements and using the same analogies that I've explained and gone over the problems with, while you see me doing this.

In some way this circle appears to both of us as the same, but from different ends.

That's because while you ask after what we see as morality in the service of understanding our views, the questions you ask aren't designed to elicit more information, but rather, to subtly propound your own views, it seems to me.
[+] 2 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
27-05-2015, 02:10 PM
(27-05-2015 01:56 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 01:34 PM)Chas Wrote:  That doesn't really follow. There are things that are objectively true in the correct context. You keep ignoring context.

And I agree with you, I'm not sure if evolutionkills, and clydelee do.

To quote evolutionkills: ""And if it's dependent on context, it's not objective, it's subjective. "

I would think a claim that 2 apples plus 2 apples, equals five apples is objectively wrong, but apparently not for Clyde.

My name on this forum is ClydeLee, I'll take that as objectively true. I can't say for certain it will always be, but it is currently.

The things I'll take as objectively true is pretty much knowledge of names/proper noun like things or ACTUAL tautologies which 2+2=4 isn't but you frame your points as if you want to talk about it like it is. Mathematics aren't logical axioms and like pointed out before, if you were growing from your discussions here you would of grasped it's a bad topic to use and moved to better ones.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-05-2015, 02:13 PM
(27-05-2015 01:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  

Objectively wrong, dependent on context? Sure. I don't agree with evolutionkill here, and I don't think Chas does either.

Quote:

(yes, constructed)

No, it just goes to show that you should quit your job as a sycophant. Clyde has already expressed his affinity towards factual relativism, and that he doesn't believe that anything is objectively wrong.

If you don't agree with him here, then you should quit acting like his mouthpiece.
27-05-2015, 02:19 PM
(27-05-2015 02:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  is objectively wrong.

If you're not grasping the humorous paradoxical nature to this answer then I can't help you here.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
27-05-2015, 02:24 PM
(27-05-2015 02:08 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  That's because while you ask after what we see as morality in the service of understanding our views, the questions you ask aren't designed to elicit more information, but rather, to subtly propound your own views, it seems to me.

Well, I'm not sure why it would be any other way? I don't lack beliefs here. So any attempt to truly understand someone else here, involves navigating their reasoning along side of mine.
27-05-2015, 02:33 PM
(27-05-2015 02:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 01:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  So, you're saying that something can be "objectively" dependent on context?

Objectively wrong, dependent on context? Sure.

Therefore, then, there are "objective" matters which depend on subjective contexts - they are only "objectively" true within subjective contexts.

Those of us with access to a dictionary might note that they are therefore not "objective" at all.

(27-05-2015 02:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:... which only goes to show that you don't understand how mathematical rulesets are constructed.
(yes, constructed)

No, it just goes to show that you should quit your job as a sycophant.

D'aww. That's the nicest thing anyone's called me this week.

(27-05-2015 02:13 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Clyde has already expressed his affinity towards factual relativism, and that he doesn't believe that anything is objectively wrong.

If you don't agree with him here, then you should quit acting like his mouthpiece.

I was unaware that I was acting as his mouthpiece.

I suppose it's a credit to him, that you think I'm not capable of formulating my own responses and could only possibly be parroting another's. It makes you an asshole, but at least there's a backhanded compliment hidden up your ass somewhere while you're at it?

... this is my signature!
[+] 1 user Likes cjlr's post
27-05-2015, 02:40 PM
(27-05-2015 01:59 PM)cjlr Wrote:  ... which only goes to show that you don't understand how mathematical rulesets are constructed.
(yes, constructed)

I guess not, particularly if this sort of knowledge isn't acquired by the time you're taking Calculus II.

To me if I have two apples, and I acquire two more, I have four apples. If you don't think this is objectively true, then I have no idea what you mean by objectivity, let alone agree with you.