Atheism and morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2015, 07:19 PM
RE: Atheism and morality
(27-05-2015 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It's the latter. I personally am quite interested in your read on various metaphysical concepts I have also gone walkabout myself. But the more you appeal to something you admittedly don't know dick about the less I am interested. You diminish your credibility.

The best I'm able to parse out in this argument, is that depending on definition a number can represent a variety of different things. That 10 can mean something other that what can be represented by appealing to 10 apples. Depending on the base, whether we're speaking of binary, or decimal systems, etc.. a number can encapsulate a variety of different meanings.

Therefore math is relative, not objective or absolute.

Is this an adequate summary?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2015, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 07:31 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-05-2015 07:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 06:58 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  And it's fucking definitionally relative. There you go as objective as you can get. Where you gonna look for objectivity next?

Isn't everything definitionally relative to you?

Yes. But I don't believe "me" so it complicates shit a bit.

#sigh
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
27-05-2015, 07:33 PM
Atheism and morality
(27-05-2015 07:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 07:00 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Isn't everything definitionally relative to you?

Yes.

Would your argument for why everything is relative, be almost one and the same as your argument for why math is relative? Be fairly indistinguishable from each other?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
27-05-2015, 07:40 PM (This post was last modified: 27-05-2015 08:18 PM by GirlyMan.)
(27-05-2015 07:33 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 07:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yes.

Would your argument for why everything is relative, be almost one and the same as your argument for why math is relative? Be fairly indistinguishable from each other?

No I don't think so. One is experiential and one is theoretical. Incomparable.

#sigh
27-05-2015, 07:54 PM
(27-05-2015 06:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 06:08 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  But the more you appeal to something you admittedly don't know dick about the less I am interested. You diminish your credibility.

So I'm diminishing my credibility by not knowing what a radix is? Or understanding why 2+2=4, is not objectively true?

What you're being told, and clearly missing, is that even mathematics is contextual, as it is built on (among other things that can be manipulated) context. Different numbers have different values in different number-bases; different geometries have different values based on plane curvature; different velocities have different values based on different frames of reference.

You're diminishing your credibility not because you don't know these things, but rather, because you appeal to mathematics as a purely objective discipline when it obviously isn't.

Your best bet here is to start listening, and perhaps learn something to augment that Calc II education you said you'd gotten.
[+] 4 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
28-05-2015, 04:15 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 04:18 AM by Tomasia.)
Atheism and morality
(27-05-2015 07:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 06:26 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  So I'm diminishing my credibility by not knowing what a radix is? Or understanding why 2+2=4, is not objectively true?

What you're being told, and clearly missing, is that even mathematics is contextual, as it is built on (among other things that can be manipulated) context. Different numbers have different values in different number-bases; different geometries have different values based on plane curvature; different velocities have different values based on different frames of reference.

You're diminishing your credibility not because you don't know these things, but rather, because you appeal to mathematics as a purely objective discipline when it obviously isn't.

Your best bet here is to start listening, and perhaps learn something to augment that Calc II education you said you'd gotten.

I provided a summary of what I think the argument here is in post 441, can you tell me if that's basically the gist here?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
28-05-2015, 04:26 AM (This post was last modified: 28-05-2015 05:25 AM by Tomasia.)
Atheism and morality
Is anything a purely objective discipline?

28-05-2015, 05:34 AM
(28-05-2015 04:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is anything a purely objective discipline?

Masturbation? Consider

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
28-05-2015, 05:54 AM
(28-05-2015 05:34 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(28-05-2015 04:26 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Is anything a purely objective discipline?

Masturbation? Consider

Better get back to my studies... [Image: awesome.gif]
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
28-05-2015, 06:03 AM
(28-05-2015 04:15 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-05-2015 07:54 PM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  What you're being told, and clearly missing, is that even mathematics is contextual, as it is built on (among other things that can be manipulated) context. Different numbers have different values in different number-bases; different geometries have different values based on plane curvature; different velocities have different values based on different frames of reference.

I provided a summary of what I think the argument here is in post 441, can you tell me if that's basically the gist here?

That's my take on it.