Atheism and morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2015, 03:22 PM
RE: Atheism and morality
(29-05-2015 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(29-05-2015 01:42 PM)Stevil Wrote:  If I am to converse clearly with Tomasia I need to use words which are much clearer and commonly understood between us.

That seems like a pretty flimsy reason to limit yourself, out of fear that I'm going to misunderstand you.
Out of knowledge that you are going to misunderstand me.

In my line of work I communicate to various people (executives, business users, technical staff). I tailor my communications to my audience to help facilitate communication and understanding. It makes no sense to intentionally mis-communicate.

(29-05-2015 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Regarding empathy, my only reserve in these conversations about morality is that my own empathy does not dictate what is right or wrong

You don't believe in right or wrong, so nothing dictates what is right or wrong.
Correct, so when you try to imply that my own emotions and empathy are significant in a discussion about morality I am clearly telling you I don't believe this is the case. My own emotions and empathy is irrelevant towards an objective morality.

(29-05-2015 01:58 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  You and I both know that when you say that you don't want harm to be inflicted on your wife, it's not because she'll retaliate and avoid putting out, but because you love her, and you don't want to see her hurt, or suffering. Is that so hard to confess?
I certainly have a special relationship with my wife, we have a strong alliance, more so than what you would call love.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-06-2015, 12:05 PM
Wanted to add another video. Curious what members here have to say about it.

I take the position of Simon Blackburn, and that's that science can only tell us what "is", not what "ought". IMO Krauss and Harris are making quite a leap and I believe they are mistaken.

Either way, it's an interesting debate and I hope you all enjoy it.

13-06-2015, 12:28 PM
(23-05-2015 04:05 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  I've noticed that many atheists believe in an absolute morality. That is, that some things are "really right" and others are "really wrong" regardless of any particular human's opinion. I'm curious to hear from members here about this. Obviously, morality is a very simple problem for theists.....God decides what is moral for them, but I want to hear from atheists who feel that there is a rightness and wrongness (good and evil) property of our actions. I believe that we all just make up our own set of morals, and that nothing in the universe except humans, really cares if you save the world, or destroy an entire nation of people. It's not that I don't want to be moral, quite the contrary, I try to use the golden rule and I try to be completely honest all the time. I just don't want to delude myself into believing that some things are "really right" or "really wrong" when the logical part of my mind tells me this is impossible.

Thoughts?
Me? I think morality is straighforward for most people because they were raised that way.

Because it is a subjective concept. Often viewed differently from one person to another.

If you meet a tribe of cannibals who slaughter you and eat you. Can anyone say objectively that they lack morals?

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
13-06-2015, 01:36 PM
(13-06-2015 12:28 PM)tomilay Wrote:  If you meet a tribe of cannibals who slaughter you and eat you. Can anyone say objectively that they lack morals?
Did they thank the chef for the fine meal? Did they offer to help do the dishes?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
13-06-2015, 01:46 PM
(13-06-2015 01:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 12:28 PM)tomilay Wrote:  If you meet a tribe of cannibals who slaughter you and eat you. Can anyone say objectively that they lack morals?
Did they thank the chef for the fine meal? Did they offer to help do the dishes?

No on both counts.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
13-06-2015, 01:57 PM
(13-06-2015 01:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 01:36 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Did they thank the chef for the fine meal? Did they offer to help do the dishes?

No on both counts.
Hmm, OK, if the chef considers you rude, does that mean you don't have morals?
13-06-2015, 02:20 PM
(13-06-2015 01:57 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(13-06-2015 01:46 PM)morondog Wrote:  No on both counts.
Hmm, OK, if the chef considers you rude, does that mean you don't have morals?

Of course.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post