Atheism and my family...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 05:05 PM
RE: Atheism and my family...
(23-05-2015 04:57 PM)Takelababy Wrote:  Why do Christians pray in restaurants - it's an act of arrogance. My father was a minister and would never have done that as he was considerate of the servers. He told us kids if we wanted to say grace we could do it in the car. None of us ever did.

I don't really look at it as an act of arrogance. I used to pray in restaurants when I was a Christian when I would go out to dinner with friends/family. I was just doing it as part of my belief system and love of God--not because I thought I was better than anyone else. As an atheist, I really don't have a problem with people praying. What I have a problem with is hate, impeding the the rights of others, and standing in the way of science.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
24-05-2015, 05:25 AM
It's not just part of a belief system. It's part of a behaviour enforcement system. It's one of many rituals designed to keep the believer proclaiming their faith as true and presenting other believers proclaiming their faith as true. It helps those with doubts minimise and ignore them.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
24-05-2015, 06:18 AM
I grew up with both parents being closet atheists, and I was allowed to choose whatever I wanted. I went to catholic school and was very devout until I read the bible at age 10. I decided it was a fairy tale.

The fact that religion wasn't a topic at home, plus the fact that mom and dad always answered questions rationally and consulted the encyclopedia when they didn't know (yes, I am old), gave me the basis to make up my own mind, to question things.

The rest of my family was all religious, some excessively so.

I married two atheists (not at the same time Tongue) and kind of ignored the whole issue most of my life. It became an issue when husband #2 passed away and people and their inane babble got on my nerves something awful.

Now, I weigh whether it is worth it to come out to individuals. What is the point? For old people, the answer is usually no. They are not steering society anymore, they are just living out their years and I think they are best off not having the rug pulled out from under them.

Young people are another story. They own the future. You may think one individual doesn't much matter, but really, they do. Young people are the future decision makers, they are the current opinion makers, they steer society. When I was young, we pushed the envelope for gays and gender equality and cannabis. We made lots of noise. Took a few decades, but our offspring is in power now and things are changing rapidly. That is how social evolution works.

Keep that in mind, make sure your kids question everything and practice critical thinking, and the god thing will fall into place for them sooner or later. I am grateful to my parents that they didn't indoctrinate me one way or another. I am grateful that they taught me rational thinking and let me make my own decisions. I came to the logical conclusion early on, some may take longer. But it was MY decision, my learning, my realizations, and it is the logical conclusion when a human being is given the tools to think. My atheism came naturally.

So, my take is, let the old live out their lives, they are not important anymore. But make sure you pass on critical thinking to the young and push the envelope with decision makers.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
27-05-2015, 09:42 AM
Firstly, thank you everyone for taking the time to comment on my situation. I really do appreciate it.

(24-05-2015 06:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Keep that in mind, make sure your kids question everything and practice critical thinking, and the god thing will fall into place for them sooner or later. I am grateful to my parents that they didn't indoctrinate me one way or another. I am grateful that they taught me rational thinking and let me make my own decisions. I came to the logical conclusion early on, some may take longer. But it was MY decision, my learning, my realizations, and it is the logical conclusion when a human being is given the tools to think. My atheism came naturally.

This is what I am attempting to teach my kids. Granted, I'm at a disadvantage due to living in the south, but I hope to pass on this kind of thought and critical thinking processes. We considered homeschool, but it may be too hard for us at the moment. Fingers crossed things fall into place in the future!
27-05-2015, 10:32 AM
(27-05-2015 09:42 AM)Dusky Wrote:  Firstly, thank you everyone for taking the time to comment on my situation. I really do appreciate it.

(24-05-2015 06:18 AM)Dom Wrote:  Keep that in mind, make sure your kids question everything and practice critical thinking, and the god thing will fall into place for them sooner or later. I am grateful to my parents that they didn't indoctrinate me one way or another. I am grateful that they taught me rational thinking and let me make my own decisions. I came to the logical conclusion early on, some may take longer. But it was MY decision, my learning, my realizations, and it is the logical conclusion when a human being is given the tools to think. My atheism came naturally.

This is what I am attempting to teach my kids. Granted, I'm at a disadvantage due to living in the south, but I hope to pass on this kind of thought and critical thinking processes. We considered homeschool, but it may be too hard for us at the moment. Fingers crossed things fall into place in the future!

Oh, we lived in a totally catholic environment, I went to church for years because all my peers went, and I went to catholic school, complete with nuns. I even wanted to be a nun at one point. It still wasn't hard to discard, just like the Easter bunny and Santa. It had it's time and place, and at home, where the "real life" took place, there was no talk of a god.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man