Atheism and the afterlife.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-09-2012, 03:08 PM
RE: Atheism and the afterlife.
(09-09-2012 03:16 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Thoughts? Do any of the Atheists here ascribe to the idea of a afterlife?

Up until a few years ago I did indeed entertain the notion of an after-life but not in the sense of the "Christian" type heaven or any other imaginings. However after I decided to actually think about it logically I began to realize that the only "evidence" we ever had regarding such a concept was anecdote.

We have fables from all over the world yet no proof; none of us know.

I just recently had a conversation with my father and he basically told me he was surprised that with all the stuff I read in the past that I do not believe in an afterlife at all. Then he went on to tell me how he knew for a fact that the afterlife exists because, after all, not only does it say so in the bible but cultures all over claim the existence of an after-life so therefore it must be true.

I just did not have the heart nor the patience to tell him that all cultures have their own take on something they know nothing of...after all, practically every culture has stories about dragons so does that make them real too? Hardly.

I told him that I have enough troubles slogging through this life without worrying about a fictional after-life and I told him that while I don't know what happens after I die I also don't care nor do I care what any culture/religion thinks about it either.

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return.
To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.
That is Alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-09-2012, 03:12 PM
To believe in an afterlife, you have to be a dualist. That is, you have to believe that there is a 'you' that is separate from your body and brain.

I don't because there is no evidence for it. The evidence that we have from neuroscience and evolution is that our consciousness is an emergent property of our brain.

To believe otherwise, you are going to need to come up with some brand new physics.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-09-2012, 03:18 PM
(12-09-2012 03:08 PM)Dragon-Wolf Wrote:  
(09-09-2012 03:16 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  Thoughts? Do any of the Atheists here ascribe to the idea of a afterlife?

Up until a few years ago I did indeed entertain the notion of an after-life but not in the sense of the "Christian" type heaven or any other imaginings. However after I decided to actually think about it logically I began to realize that the only "evidence" we ever had regarding such a concept was anecdote.

We have fables from all over the world yet no proof; none of us know.

I just recently had a conversation with my father and he basically told me he was surprised that with all the stuff I read in the past that I do not believe in an afterlife at all. Then he went on to tell me how he knew for a fact that the afterlife exists because, after all, not only does it say so in the bible but cultures all over claim the existence of an after-life so therefore it must be true.

I just did not have the heart nor the patience to tell him that all cultures have their own take on something they know nothing of...after all, practically every culture has stories about dragons so does that make them real too? Hardly.

I told him that I have enough troubles slogging through this life without worrying about a fictional after-life and I told him that while I don't know what happens after I die I also don't care nor do I care what any culture/religion thinks about it either.

I still hope there is an afterlife, though I do not believe in one. I am like you, my parents have been Christian from their childhood. Not only would I never try to convince them otherwise (it would be pointless), but I would only unnecessarily worry them about my soul. Plus it would make visiting awkward, and waste a lot of my time. I am sure my father would try to 'save' me, and I just don't want to deal with it. Maybe after my parents are gone (assuming I outlive them) I will be completely open in my atheism. Yeah, I'm setting back the movement, blah, blah, blah, don't care.

12-09-2012, 03:26 PM
(12-09-2012 01:47 PM)Luminon Wrote:  And what about the odds? The universe is mostly made of invisible, intangible exotic materials and energies. Unless they're completely inert, I think odds are pretty good there's some within us too, it's the way we evolved. Since Wilhelm Reich (and a few other people) did his experiments and my perception confirms it, I'm fairly confident. But nope, all these clever scientists will search for exotic matter in the most empty and lifeless places, if possible in another galaxy.
Studies have shown that 9/10 of your posts are complete woo. You know why that is? Because they are. Drinking Beverage

You do know that Wilhelm Reich practiced pseudo-science and that his experiments have been refuted, right?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
12-09-2012, 04:33 PM
Thats some kind strange. What is he talking about exotic material?
There are 118 elementes known to exist.
They were build in supernovae all over the universe.
Thats measurable with the photo-spectral-analyses.
There are no exotic materials, not in a million years.
Try reality, its fun.

If atheism is a religion, then not playing football is an Olympic discipline.
12-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Post life is occurring continually. We die and new babies come into the world.
The reincarnationists claim that a part of us, now deceased (soul, atma, monad) somehow infuses part of the new born. To claim that newly born babies are somehow made up of a multitude of cast off souls in a very big ask. So, the claim that some part of my deceased soul, if such existed, has, along with other older souls, become a part of baby X, to learn "higher" things creates far more questions than answers.

The O.P.in my view, though not made clear, hopes for "higher beings" and to learn "higher" things, through some weird soul transmission, through physical beings.
And towards what? Something better? Something worse? More of the same?

Theist and polytheists et al, assume that we are on a higher path to "truth" and everlasting joy (pretty hedonistic) and neglect the altrnative options, such as a mad experimental God, up to all kinds of mischief.

In terms of after life, if I cannot relate it to my memories of this life, I do not see it as a life. Rabelais, on his death bed once said ...Draw the curtains, the farce is over I am looking to a great perhaps" As for me, extinction may well be the kindest option.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
12-09-2012, 06:26 PM
Like I always say, we don't know shit.

We know what we can perceive and measure, that's it.

We can measure a lot of things we didn't use to be able to measure now, and we will find more measurable things in the future.

And then we likely still won't know shit.

I very strongly doubt that there is any type of consciousness after death.

I do think that everything that can be recycled, will be recycled in whatever fashion, whether we can perceive or measure it or not.

And recycling doesn't mean at all it is in a form that corresponds to the previous form. Buried bodies turn into insect droppings and nutrients for plants...

If there is anything other than the body, it would likely also be recycled into something totally different.

If you think we are some sort of cocoon, and a beautiful butterfly emerges when we die, does the butterfly know it was a cocoon? Does it know about the caterpillar? It can see both, but can it identify?

In any case, we don't know shit but I certainly don't think that our present consciousness would carry over to the other side, if there were another side.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
12-09-2012, 06:41 PM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2012 06:46 PM by GirlyMan.)
(12-09-2012 06:26 PM)Dom Wrote:  Like I always say, we don't know shit.

Girly goes one step further and don't believe in shit. I don't believe in no gods. I don't believe in no religion. I don't believe in no afterlife. I don't believe in no science (don't mean I don't appreciate its utility). I don't believe in no logic (don't mean I don't employ it regularly to make a living). I don't even believe there is a me. I don't fucking believe in belief. I choose to just be without even believing in being. I am fucking absurd. ... And I like it. It tastes good. Drooling

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-09-2012, 07:24 PM
Now, I don't believe in a god, but I ask myself the question, "Why does the universe exist?" I get how the current universe started - expansion from a singularity - but where did the singularity come from? Something having always existed is impossible to comprehend, god or no god.

So while I do not believe in an afterlife, I don't have an explanation for the universe, and somehow that gives me comfort.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
12-09-2012, 09:29 PM
(12-09-2012 07:24 PM)Elesjei Wrote:  Now, I don't believe in a god, but I ask myself the question, "Why does the universe exist?" I get how the current universe started - expansion from a singularity - but where did the singularity come from? Something having always existed is impossible to comprehend, god or no god.

So while I do not believe in an afterlife, I don't have an explanation for the universe, and somehow that gives me comfort.

Of course, I think every person that accepts science as fact....it is, has wondered that. To me, it is comforting, but not because I don't know (That is the uncomfortable part, I want to know everything.) To me it gives me hope that the universe may be cyclical, or at least eternal. Yes I realize that I won't be here for ever, nor the idea, or memory of me, and yes that sucks, but I would at least like to think that existence itself will last forever. In a very small sense, I will be eternal if that is the case. The quarks, atoms, and carbon that comprise me will be recycled....forever. Besides, I think logically, that is most likely true. Not because I want it to be true, but because that is the only thing that makes sense to me. Of course if I just believed what I wanted to be the truth, I would probably have a super cool religion that required me to have sex and party all the time in order to go to superheaven which had even more fun parties and loads of superhot chicks that would fight to get the chance to have me inside them. Lollipops, and sunshine for everyone. Oh well, I realize how 'lucky' I am. The odds of me existing are beyond astronomically small. May as well make the most of it.