Poll: Is Atheism a philosophy?
Yes
No
Don't try and corner my opinions into black and white
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheism as a religion and/or philosophy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-08-2014, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 07-08-2014 06:54 AM by WindyCityJazz.)
RE: Atheism as a religion and/or philosophy
Atheism is the lack of belief in the existence of deities. That's it! Nothing more to it! I could disagree with other atheists about everything and anything else, and they and I would still all be atheists, because a lack of belief in deities is the only requirement to call oneself an atheist!

Creationists like to use the "Atheism and creationism both require an equal leap of faith" argument, but this is pure bullshit.

What would all the Christians in the U.S. say if I told them that I believed in leprechauns, and that I had good things happen because I asked the leprechauns for help: "I asked the leprechauns to help my mother get better and she did! How could you expect me to deny their existence?!" What would they say if I said "Leprechauns are good, and they care about us! You just need to have faith, and you'll see that it's true!"

We all know what they would say. They would say I'm a complete nutjob and belong in a looney bin. My argument would be exactly the same as theirs, but I'd be crazy for even considering such a thing. Yet, make it a belief of an invisible man in the sky who does things for us and who we just need faith to realize he is there, then all of a sudden that is perfectly logical. Even though the invisible man in the sky has just as much proof for his existence as leprechauns do for theirs.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
07-08-2014, 05:00 AM
(06-08-2014 04:35 PM)Adrianime Wrote:  I liked most of your post but...
(06-08-2014 03:27 PM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  Now, with exception of public service, Atheism doesn't have any of that. Atheism also doesn't need to have faith, as faith is the firm belief in something without evidence. We have evidence of our position (evolution)
Atheism doesn't have public service. Sometimes groups of atheists do public service, just like sometimes groups of teenagers do. Evolution is not an atheistic position and has nothing to do with atheism.
Quote:Science is the antithesis of faith. Science is a process that contains multiple and redundant checks, balances, and safeguards against human bias and error. Science has a built in corrective mechanism..hypothesis testing...that weeds out false claims. Claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are held as tentatively true by scientists..unlike claims of faith that are held as eternally true with zero evidence. Related to this, claims that come about as a result of a scientific process are falsifiable, that is, there is a way to show the claims are false. This is not the case with faith claims. For example, there's no way to falisify the claim that the norse god Loki was able ot assume other forms.[...]
You make good points about science, but science itself is not directly related to atheism. I was an atheist at the age of 6 with little to no knowledge of science.

Although I do agree that religion is the greatest scam of all time.

Good points, you are correct; the fact that some of us belong to organizations like foundation beyond belief, does not mean "atheists have public service", I was intending to show that of all of the descriptions of religion, this was the only one that could be considered a part of atheism, but I concede that is an individual person's participation, and not the group, again great point.

Yes, science/evolution is not the "religion for atheists" and that was not what I was implying either, theists have zero evidence , and the majority of atheists I have known base their comprehension of the world around us on scientific discoveries, ability to reason and use logic, and current substantiated theories, but again, as you pointed out, this is not something that ALL atheists believe as we are all individual owners of different perspectives, with the only commonality of not believing in a "god". The day we all line up and follow the same system of views that would probably put us into some label or nother.

Well said Thumbsup

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
[+] 1 user Likes goodwithoutgod's post
07-08-2014, 09:31 AM
"Atheist" isInot a moral code, philosophy, worldview, or religion. It is a position. The "off" position on claims of a god or gods. It does not address the individual's morality, economic views, or level of education. I know of atheists I do not like and would not trust in positions of political power.

I really warn atheists not to try to turn it into such. We have never been a separate species and our ability to be cruel or compassionate is still in us no matter what. We are still individuals first and we do not owe each other blind loyalty either.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Brian37's post
08-08-2014, 09:58 AM
(06-08-2014 04:39 PM)Chas Wrote:  Being an atheist correlates with holding certain philosophies and views.
(bold mine)
Excellent distinction. Thumbsup

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
08-08-2014, 11:28 AM
Re: Atheism as a religion and/or philosophy
It's a answer/non answer to a philosophical question. In that essence it's a philosophical stance.

And yes atheism does go back to socratic times, not so much him even though he was tried as swaying the youth from the gods. There's presocratics who dabbled in the question of gods being valid.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson