Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-07-2013, 12:39 PM
RE: Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
(16-07-2013 03:11 PM)HumanistDad Wrote:  I'll openly admit to and identify with atheism no problem. However, my source of pride is with the identifier of "Humanist".

As for humanism, I've long got the impression that it's mostly another word for atheism. I once read a very interesting book about humanism. The history of humanism provided was basically a history of criticism of religion and naturalistic philosophers.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-07-2013, 12:40 PM
RE: Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
(16-07-2013 06:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  I'm much more vocal on numerous topics than atheism.

Curious, what issues?

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
20-07-2013, 12:47 PM
To avoid BS I will usually start with an answer like "I do not like organized religion". I have run into a lot of people who think it's perfectly reasonable to meet someone and ask what church they attend.

If they press further after my response then I will use the "A" word. Usually the next question is more of a statement/question with raised eyebrows and a slight look of fear, as in, "but you do believe in God.?."

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
20-07-2013, 01:09 PM
I identify as an atheist and proud of it.

In a country where people and politicians are behaving in a bat shit crazy way, trying to make portions of their religion law, it's even more important to let people know that you don't have to cave in to the nut cases.

There are rational people out in the world and we call ourselves Atheists.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
20-07-2013, 02:12 PM
(16-07-2013 06:24 PM)amyb Wrote:  I can understand where NdGT is coming from, but on the other hand, I do label myself an atheists. I think it's needed as long as the majority are theists, and more importantly, as long as people automatically assume everyone else is a theist. I mean, I have a couple atheist tshirts, I post atheist crap on my facebook all the time, etc. But I can understand not wanting to call yourself that.

I think Tyson is more interested in teaching science than anything else, really.

(16-07-2013 06:24 PM)amyb Wrote:  But to clarify, I mean to say that the label "atheist" is not a source of "atheist pride" for me, it's just a descriptive term. If I were to be proud of something, it'd be skepticism or humanism, not atheism.

I like the idea of skepticism and the skeptic movement, I really do. However, Daniel Loxton has succeeded pretty well in killing the appeal of it to me due to his constant drumming that only paranormal stuff is subject to skepticism, and if you disagree you are doing it wrong.

20-07-2013, 02:18 PM
In a more perfect world atheism shouldn't exist, I agree. But we are not yet there- and athesim is still required. When the day comes and religion will be meaningless in its size or even extinct- we should defenetly found more positive term, that isn't defined by other term.

Until then- identifying yourself as an atheist will be putting yourself on the right side of history when that history is still the future.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-07-2013, 02:57 PM
I would not take pride in being an atheist because we all should be atheists; we are born that way and only become theists when we are brainwashed. Being an atheist just means you aren't brainwashed. Though, while one should not be proud of one's atheism, one should be ashamed of one's religiosity, because being religious is allowing yourself to be taken in by nonsense and irrationality.

I'd compare it to punching old ladies. Don't be proud of not punching them, because you should not be doing it in the first place. However, if you do punch them, you should be ashamed of yourself.

The one time you should be proud, I think, is when you go from being religious (since you were a child) to non-religious, because the act of questioning long-held beliefs and searching for the truth in the face of adversity is something to be proud of. But then, you aren't proud of your atheism, rather, the journey that led you there.

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
21-07-2013, 06:41 AM
(20-07-2013 01:09 PM)Rahn127 Wrote:  I identify as an atheist and proud of it.

In a country where people and politicians are behaving in a bat shit crazy way, trying to make portions of their religion law, it's even more important to let people know that you don't have to cave in to the nut cases.

There are rational people out in the world and we call ourselves Atheists.

One thing I like about this forum is that I don't have to speak my mind because others do it for me. I'm lazy like that. Thumbsup

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-07-2013, 06:45 AM
There is nothing wrong with the atheist label. You either are an atheist or you are a theist. There is no middle ground. If you claim agnosticism, you are still an atheist because you do not commit to the belief in a deity. That is one thing that bothers me about Neil deGrasse Tyson. The reason people are so frightened of the term is because there are negative connotations behind it. I am an atheist because I don't believe in a deity. So fucking what?

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
21-07-2013, 07:04 AM
I'm glad that people identify as atheists. It wasn't long ago I didn't really know much about it. It wasn't much longer before that that I'd never really heard of it (besides drivel that made me uninterested because hey - who wants to upset Jehovah?) whereas today, I identify. I was de-converting at the time from one religion and finding it difficult to identify with any other. To think how much money I saved on car insurance!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post