Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-08-2013, 02:42 PM
RE: Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
I must admit this does confuse me a bit. You can quite easily find online atheists who say that atheism is of secondary importance to them, it's not a primary facet and an outcome of other things. Yet they post their stuff under the "banner" of atheism so to speak. This seems contradictory to me, but it may be because I'm socially awkward and miss some cue that is obvious to everyone else.

"Examine the religious principles, which have, in fact, prevailed in the world. You will scarcely be persuaded, that they are any thing but sick men's dreams." - David Hume
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-08-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
I find greater pride in saying i am a rational freethinker and a humanist. Atheism describes a small part of my personality. It states what i dont believe in. But a freethinker is how i describe myself often. It is a huge part of me. And a humanist is also a part of me.
Thats my 0.02

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
I actually agree with that notion that atheism shouldn't be a source of pride. The product of ones own actions which helped themselves as well as others is something I can understand taking pride in.

With atheism, it's just a choice we made on the existence of god. Nothing more or less. Everything else an atheist does or says will always be up for debate, sense the rest of an atheists world view are based on all kind of different ideas.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
04-09-2013, 04:05 AM
Skepticism is my nature.
Freethought is my methodology.
Agnosticism is my conclusion.
Atheism is my opinion.
Humanitanarism is my motivation.

-Jerry Dewitt

I think that is a beautiful sentiment that I strongly relate to. I do take some pride in being an atheist (as part of the broader freethinking/skeptic/humanist paradigm) and have no problem with identifying myself as such, but I would much rather live in a society where that was not the case.

Take slavery for example. most all of us can agree that slavery was immoral, and we are happy to no longer be practicing it or living in a society that condones it. If we were to travel back in time to the American Civil War, we'd all most likely side with the abolitionists and identify as such. We no longer need to do that. If given the choice between abolitionist or slaver owner, I'm sure I can safely say almost all of us would identify and proudly carry the label of the former over the later. This is where we need to get with atheism. We need to move our society forward enough, far enough away from irrational belief in the extraordinary claims of religion, so that being an atheists is no longer a 'thing'. We'll have done our jobs whenever our society has gotten far enough ahead that being an atheist is something that is simply internalized and no longer needs to really be discussed; much like being an abolitionists.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
04-09-2013, 04:52 AM
Re: Atheism as a source of pidentity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
I use the term in describing my thoughts but I don't connect or identify with it in a strong sense.

I think in the past Dawkins felt identifying or publicly speaking on atheism wasnt necessary, but then he realized religious outspoken control was probably worsening.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
04-09-2013, 06:41 AM
Atheism is a word that is necessary because human society has had a religious facet to it in pretty much every society since we began to form tribes in our distant past.

I like how Hitchens approaches it. First, he calls religion a product of our species's infancy, an attempt to understand the world around us. It was a crude one that we can see is unlikely to be true, but society still clings to it. As a result, I identify as an atheist when asked but don't go out wearing a scarlet "A" on my chest or doing sit-ins at churches. I even cringe when someone calls me an atheist because the term doesn't describe me or anyone else who is an atheist for that matter.

I think that is why you don't see or hear people like Hitchens and Dawkins using the term all the time. Because there are so many better words to describe oneself with.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
07-09-2013, 02:18 PM
Atheism as a source of pride/identity vs atheism as a word that shouldn't be needed
(21-07-2013 06:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with the atheist label. You either are an atheist or you are a theist. There is no middle ground.
Yes there is. You are either a theist, a weak atheist or a strong atheist. A weak atheist lacking belief and lacking disbelief in gods, that is being impartial, is the middle ground.
08-09-2013, 04:27 AM
(07-09-2013 02:18 PM)Artie Wrote:  
(21-07-2013 06:45 AM)Logica Humano Wrote:  There is nothing wrong with the atheist label. You either are an atheist or you are a theist. There is no middle ground.
Yes there is. You are either a theist, a weak atheist or a strong atheist. A weak atheist lacking belief and lacking disbelief in gods, that is being impartial, is the middle ground.

No. Do you believe in 'god'? If 'yes', then you are a theist, regardless of the level of agnosticism you attach to it (regardless of whether or not you claim to know or to be able to know or prove it's existence). If 'no', then you are not a theist (hence 'atheist'), regardless of the level of agnosticism attached. Agnostic and gnostic (strong) atheists are still atheists, and both agnostic and gnostic theists are still theists.

In my experience, most theists are gnostic (strong) theists, and most atheists are agnostic atheists. But the key question, that of belief, still comes down to a simple either-or proposition. There might be different arguments and justifications for any position, but at base, it's always 'yes' or 'no' however reasoned for.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
08-09-2013, 05:03 AM (This post was last modified: 08-09-2013 05:15 AM by Artie.)
To Logica Humano

You are confusing atheism with agnosticism.

1. Theism = belief in gods
2. Weak atheism = absence of belief in gods, absence of disbelief in gods
3. Strong atheism = absence of belief in gods, presence of disbelief in gods

Don't mix up atheism and agnosticism.
08-09-2013, 05:04 AM
I think it's stupid that Neil deGrasse Tyson, and Sam Harris don't like the atheist label. I see nothing wrong with it.