Poll: Are you involved/in favor of OWS?
Yes
No
I have no clue what OWS is.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheism at Occupy Wall Street

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 02:59 AM
Information Atheism at Occupy Wall Street
So I'm an Atheist. And I've been actively participating at OWS. Particularly the vision and goals group. Btw, my name is Raul.

Currently, we are working up a draft to send out to the public. I am working on some edits on this draft (which I'm not allowed to share yet). But to give an idea, the format is... Our Vision is:

1. etc etc 2. A B C 3. OMG 4. WTF... etc.

I am looking for ways to incorporate freedom of superstition or control by superstition, no heaven nor hell, (by John Lennon's Imagine) only reward or punishment of behaviors in life...something along those lines. But I need you Atheists to help me word this in the best way possible, under 15 words max, to promote understanding of these words, and minimize controversy or negative criticism. I need this by Saturday morning. Please Help an Atheist out.

Thank you!

Raul
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes RaulOWS's post
17-11-2011, 10:02 AM
RE: Atheism at Occupy Wall Street
No Big Brother; no Heavenly Father; no thought-control.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
17-11-2011, 10:15 AM

How about:

"Our minds are not for sale – not to government, business, church or superstition!"
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Zatamon's post
17-11-2011, 10:48 AM
How about -

Freedom to reason without divine intervention... from government, business, or faith.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2011, 11:02 AM
I tried to vote no but I'm on mobile an it won't let me for some reason so just add a plus one to the no category.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
17-11-2011, 11:16 AM
I like Zats suggestion.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
17-11-2011, 11:54 AM
(17-11-2011 11:02 AM)lucradis Wrote:  I tried to vote no but I'm on mobile an it won't let me for some reason so just add a plus one to the no category.

I'm not the only person to vote no? Bloody hell, didn't expect that!

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
17-11-2011, 01:51 PM
Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes ddrew's post
17-11-2011, 02:03 PM
I support Occupy but I'm not in favor of putting out a statement along with it that would state that the movement's goal has something directly supporting atheism.

It would just create a bigger blacklash from media and fringe supporters to going to the thought that it's just a bunch of young punks who are violent and immoral.

If anything that you would say could come close, the best approach would be to keep it simple about putting reason and desire to distrust power-figures words.
17-11-2011, 02:05 PM
In a broad sense, I think I'm pro-OWS. I think the money in politics is getting worse, giving more and more power to the corporations which leaves less and less to the people. I think some individuals on Wall Street need to be held accountable for their actions, which has not yet been done. And I think that the widening gap between the rich and the poor is an alarming and terrible trend that is damaging to the USA.

But, I'm not sure how it relates directly to religion so I'm not sure I can offer help with a vision statement, never really been good at that catchy stuff. Big Grin

I'll give it a shot though:

"Free Hearts, Free Minds, Free America"
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post