Poll: Are you involved/in favor of OWS?
I have no clue what OWS is.
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheism at Occupy Wall Street
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-11-2011, 02:22 PM
RE: Atheism at Occupy Wall Street
Some people see them as hippies or whatever but they are all there to try to change the world in a positive way.

We are watching history unfold.....when else has there been protests with the same theme in nearly every country.

I like both Peterkin and Zatamons suggestions......my suggestion is.

"Make love, not rules....and if you do make rules make Love no.1"

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
17-11-2011, 04:03 PM (This post was last modified: 17-11-2011 04:39 PM by kim.)
(17-11-2011 02:05 PM)kineo Wrote:  In a broad sense, I think I'm pro-OWS. I think the money in politics is getting worse, giving more and more power to the corporations which leaves less and less to the people. I think some individuals on Wall Street need to be held accountable for their actions, which has not yet been done. And I think that the widening gap between the rich and the poor is an alarming and terrible trend that is damaging to the USA.

But, I'm not sure how it relates directly to religion so I'm not sure I can offer help with a vision statement, never really been good at that catchy stuff. Big Grin

I'll give it a shot though:

"Free Hearts, Free Minds, Free America"

Angry I disagree.

That is WAY CATCHY -and quite to the point! Heart

At first, I wasn't certain if I really cared all that much if it directly related to religion or not...until I went over to the post called smaller examples of how religion poisons everything ... I found this from 13mentaculus written in March:

A quote from the Texas Constitution, article, I, § 4.:
RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Oh, and we're (I say we because I'm a Texan) about to cut $10 billion (that's billion with a B) from public education.

Sad Terrorism has become an inside job.

If OWS is willing to make a non-Theist's voice a little louder... I'm all for it.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
17-11-2011, 04:39 PM
I like it how they are being demonized for being left wing liberals when there are libertarians and republicans in the mix.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
[+] 1 user Likes daemonowner's post
18-11-2011, 03:50 AM (This post was last modified: 18-11-2011 04:27 AM by RaulOWS.)
(17-11-2011 02:03 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  I support Occupy but I'm not in favor of putting out a statement along with it that would state that the movement's goal has something directly supporting atheism.

It would just create a bigger blacklash from media and fringe supporters to going to the thought that it's just a bunch of young punks who are violent and immoral.

If anything that you would say could come close, the best approach would be to keep it simple about putting reason and desire to distrust power-figures words.

Exactly why I clearly stated: "worded the right way to minimize controversy and criticism". There are a lot of smart people here, and I trust my fellow Atheists and science-believing progressives to create a reasonable "vision" of this global movement, which is NOW the best time to include anti-superstition and pro-reality in there. I believe I'm the only Atheist in that group, and can feel a little underrepresented. Thus, I sought after the ideas of you guys. Which I also agree Zats is very good also. Will take them all to our meeting tomorrow, and if more are added after, I will also bring them Saturday.
I just want to thank you guys for your input! I strongly believe 'atheism' is the road to progress, and I see this movement as being part of the "End of Times" the Mayans calculated through math--but not being so much the end of "time" but end of the global 'system' we currently have. And that this movement is the door to the global awakening, of a new system.

This is a my own personal revision of the DRAFT of the proposed vision statement. Lots of things can be fixed, edited, changed, added, etc... it is a draft. Tell me what you think. I'm glad to share this with you and return feedback.

From the General Assembly of the Occupy Wall Street movement, To the People of the World we offer a preliminary Declaration of our Vision, called

The Global Awakening: USA 2012

Our Vision is:
[1] to restore America, and its Republic for which it stands in renewing our alliance to strengthen liberty, democracy, independence and peace in solidarity and openness towards the world;
[2] a just and peaceful society in pursuit of happiness and progress;
[3] a glorious future that belongs to you, to me, and to us all;
[4] a Nation that creates solutions by consensus, conscious responsibility of future generations, and conscious of all historical issues and achievements to avoid redundancy of negative history;
[5] to encourage personal responsibility and social participation;
[6] for political and economic institutions to benefit every person equally—not just a privileged few;
[7] to live in harmony;
a) to live and embrace our diversity in unity;
b) to rise above hate, greed, brutality, and intolerance;
c) to help one another;
d) to reason without divine intervention from government, business, or faith, a new 'conscience' without Heaven or Hell, but of reward or consequence during life;
e) to forever acknowledge the idea of having nothing to kill or die for;
[8] to secure human and civil rights from violation by tyrannical forces and unjust governments;
[9] for necessities provided to all people as if they are infants: quality of life, nature, and nurture/influence/education;
[10] to value human needs over monetary gain, because when people lack security, education, or adequate goods for their well being, effective democracy is impossible;
[11] the end of greed, hunger, fear, oppression, disease, superstition, apathy, ignorance—a brotherhood of man, sharing all the world, to exceed bare necessities of life with equal abundance to all, but necessities nonetheless;
[12] to work together to protect the global environment to ensure that future generations will have clean and safe air, water, and food;
a) to enjoy the beauty and gift of nature; and
b) to make decisions consciously to sustain nature—everything is connected to each other in an infinite circle, every rock, plant and creature has a purpose, a spirit and a name.

We have these visions based on the following realities generations have witnessed on Earth since the beginning of Human History
1) Greed and supremacy have poisoned the world with hate, misery and bloodshed.
2) Our knowledge and cleverness has made us cynical, hard and unkind. We think too much and feel too little. More than machinery and tradition we need humanity and kindness, if not life will be violent.
3) The 1% controls our government. The government controls us. We control nothing. Instead, we should be controlling our government.
4) The controlling 1% do not have love or humanity in their hearts—they are unnatural men, machine men with machine minds and machine hearts based on social, monetary, and psychological manipulation. But we, the 99%, are people. With love and humanity in our hearts.
5) Brutes in power have risen, promising us rights, freedom and happiness—giving us barriers, greed, hate, and intolerance instead.
6) The destruction of mother Earth.

We ask you to pledge allegiance to our fraternity promoting these visions. Do not despair, we hope someday you’ll join us and the world will live as one.