Atheism at work

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 10:56 AM
Atheism at work
I've conclusion that religion/atheism is not a subject for work. Not that I feel people should hide who they are but there is a time and place.

But....I feel at my job I do have to hide. My boss is religious. Racist. And homophobic. And I hear the owner is the same. But it pays my rent and keeps food in my belly. I feel I have to hide who I am in fear of losing my job.

Anybody else feel the same?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 12:35 PM
RE: Atheism at work
I don't advertise my atheism at work and I appreciate it when my colleagues don't advertise their religion. It is not relevant to my job so i don't discuss it. I was raised Jewish and if i were a practicing Jew i wouldn't discuss that at work either.

Your private life is always best kept private when it comes to work. If you need religious holidays off, that is one thing. But, otherwise, polarizing subjects life religion, or politics, are best kept for your non work hours.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
21-02-2014, 12:41 PM
Yup. Unless your relationship with coworkers is good for it, keep it private. People are killed over this shit in some countries, no need to sully your ability to provide for yourself for it. Business is business.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
21-02-2014, 12:42 PM
My boss is an athiest. He is out of the closet, but not in your face. If it comes up his responce is generally "I do not believe in any of that."
21-02-2014, 01:00 PM
He is the boss and he can kick anyone he wants based on his preferences. So yeah it's better to keep private if you know what he hates.
21-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Yeah. Its not a subject I want to discuss. Just not the time for it. But...I feel like I have to go out of my way. Even being careful who I add on FB so it doesn't get back to them. Its not even about discussing it. It seems like simply allowing others to find out I am an atheist would put me at risk.

My boss often tells people "at least they know the lord" or tells priests, pastors, etc that if you can't trust them who can you trust?
21-02-2014, 01:15 PM
But then I am browsing on an atheist message forum. Just a matter of time before they see the internet activity lol
21-02-2014, 09:04 PM
(21-02-2014 01:15 PM)riseinside Wrote:  But then I am browsing on an atheist message forum. Just a matter of time before they see the internet activity lol

In that case it is they who intrude in privacy?
However if you want to hide your browsing from your boss you can check this out.
https://www.torproject.org/
22-02-2014, 04:54 AM
Privacy. I'm not sure they will go through our browsing habits. Not sure they are that technologically advanced. I do know they have cameras in every office. And the owner watches them often. Not just when something goes wrong. I guess he even checks it when he is out and about on his phone. Fortunately my desk is at such an angle that you can't see what is on my computer screen. I've checked lol