Atheism can't explain this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-09-2010, 08:56 PM
RE: Atheism can't explain this?
A society that has to look up whether or not something is moral in a book has already failed.

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
(07-09-2010 01:51 PM)wheels5894 Wrote:  What happened there? Did the morality of the Bible get produced somehow to suit?

The United States was formed as a secular country with seperation of the church and state. Secular laws and secular law enforcement has put a lid on much of the murder christians have engaged in in the past. This lid did not stop it entirely. There are still carriers of the old torch who now do there evil deeds in secrecy when possible. The Klu Klux Klan is one of many examples.
08-09-2010, 02:20 AM

(07-09-2010 04:18 PM)omega21 Wrote:  You all make some really good points. Atheist do tend to be better educated, and thus have higher morals on average, and Levi makes a good point that there are also biological reasons behind morality. I also agree that the Bible is also the last place to go for morality. This site has a good video on that.
I should actually leave a note on his desk saying to come to this site. It would be funny to see how he reacts to this website. Next time I may say something.

Want a one word answer or multi-word?

One word answer would be: Tibet

Multi-word answer would be: Well, the "faithful" are so concerned with how other people think, that they try and change everyone else. The "non-faithful" just want everyone to leave them the fuck alone =P
Quote this message in a reply
08-09-2010, 03:01 AM

That morality flows from the commandments of a deity, with transgressions punishable by everlasting torment has always struck me as ridiculous. I don't need the threat of eternal damnation and agony to be a moral person. Anyone who requires a set of laws and the prospect of punishment to behave morally is not a very moral person, imho. An important aspect of moral behavior is that certain behavior is destructive to the fabric of a civilized society and so is immoral. Obeying traffic laws is not just a matter of avoiding being ticketed by the police - traffic laws allow the safest traffic flow! If everyone felt free to disobey traffic laws, everyone's safety would be minimized.

I could (and have) written more extensively on this topic, but I also want to reinforce what BnW said: if you can't speak your mind in an academic setting for any reason, including being intimidated, then something is seriously wrong. You should feel quite free to express your opinions there, and engage in a discussion if others disagree with you.
08-09-2010, 04:24 AM
Religion % have been divorced
Jews 30%
Born-again Christians 27%
Other Christians 24%
Atheists, Agnostics 21%

http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/03/18/ch...higher.htm

http://www.lisashea.com/lisabase/aboutme/abortion.html

http://atheism.about.com/b/2004/12/26/at...olence.htm

http://www.atheistempire.com/reference/stats/main.html

So christians where do you get morality from?

certainly NOT from the bible because it was quit some time since i saw the last time that somebody was stoned for working on sundays (in fact many christians do) or killing their childs for disobeying them (well sometimes they do but not really for religious reasons and they usally get improsened for that, even though it stands so in the bible o.O)

EMO, because homo is not gay enoughTongue
08-09-2010, 05:01 AM

[quote author=Germanatheist007]certainly NOT from the bible because it was quit some time since i saw the last time that somebody was stoned for working on sundays (in fact many christians do)[/quote]

Well, if working on Sundays (or rather the Sabbath) is banned, then why do we see the whole population of clergy working on the Sabbath / Sunday, Jewish rabbis included? They tell people it is a day of rest whilst for them it is a day of work. Is this doublethink - or what?
08-09-2010, 12:23 PM
If Atheism is nothing more than a rejection of Theism, then Atheism can't tell us about acting morally. It can't tell us about anything for that matter.

If morality is simply a product of genetic predispositions, then the argument is moot. Neither Theism or Atheism tell us about morality, genetics does.

Either way, I don't see how Atheism can tell us how to live morally.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
08-09-2010, 12:33 PM

Atheism can't dictate morals because it isn't an institution that has its own doctrines, but the general implication is that atheists cannot have morals because they don't have a religious foundation for them, which I assume even you Ghost will agree to. Atheists derive their moral from perhaps their family, but more generally their own capacity for critical thinking.
08-09-2010, 01:43 PM
(08-09-2010 12:23 PM)Ghost Wrote:  If Atheism is nothing more than a rejection of Theism, then Atheism can't tell us about acting morally. It can't tell us about anything for that matter.

If morality is simply a product of genetic predispositions, then the argument is moot. Neither Theism or Atheism tell us about morality, genetics does.

Either way, I don't see how Atheism can tell us how to live morally.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

I agree with this. Atheism does not tell us how to live, morally or otherwise. It's not a belief system. I disagree that that narrows the choice down to genetics, but in no way does atheism advocate a morale stance on anything. An atheist may advocate a moral stance on something, but this won't be in his or her guise as an atheist but as something else (parent, teacher, what have you)

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
08-09-2010, 04:57 PM
Personally, what I think is that since atheist tend to be better educated, and more logical, it is why they tend to be better morally. Also, religious text can give people of religion a reason to hate. Look at the fact some christians and islams who kill in the name of religion. Furthermore, I also agree with the fact parents, teachers, and peers can influence moral decisions. It is multiple factors all in all that imapcts morality.