Atheism can't explain this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2010, 02:51 PM

RE: Atheism can't explain this?
This is one of the arguments I hate the most from theists. They talk about morals with god like they would instantly become lawless orangutans jumping around flinging feces at old ladies if there was no bible to selectively read the nicest passages of to impressionable children on Sunday mornings.
Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2010, 11:07 PM (This post was last modified: 14-09-2010 11:15 PM by No J..)
(14-09-2010 02:51 PM)cheezisgoooood Wrote:  This is one of the arguments I hate the most from theists. They talk about morals with god like they would instantly become lawless orangutans jumping around flinging feces at old ladies if there was no bible to selectively read the nicest passages of to impressionable children on Sunday mornings.

They don't want to know facts. They want to keep their beliefs intact and our arguements threaten their beliefs, so they react, sometimes like cornered animals, by attacking. Since they don't have any facts to defeat our arguements, they often use the tried and true method of an 'attack as the best means of defence.' Fortunately we have secular laws that protect us from the murder and torture that earlier christians subjected atheists to. It may be frustrating to argue with these IDiots, but at least no one is likely to burn you at the stake for blasphemy.

Think about the moral and immoral implications of what I just posted. I know you will get it, or have already got it. If I placed this post on a fundimentalist christian site, I would not recieve the fair reading and consideration of my views that I enjoy so much here. That is why I am here. I have a hard time handling their bull shit, too.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-09-2010, 02:06 AM

(14-09-2010 12:30 PM)Sunshine Wrote:  2buckchuck - In general the humanist label is my best attempt at answering the tired old question/ statement from theists of "atheist's don't believe in anything" or "you're an atheist...we know what you don't believe in so what DO you believe in." Instead of listing out all of my personal beliefs and philosophies in detail, I usually direct them to look into humanism, as I follow and agree with the philosophy, in general. Of course, I too, am not stuck to it's as a whole, it's more of a general guideline to describe my philosophy on living. I personally don't care about labels anymore. People are always going to label you so rather than let others decide what label I fit, I choose to label myself. Makes me feel in control, I guess, lol.

To each his/her own. I understand your point, though. As for the "tired old question" about my beliefs, I would say that anyone who asserts that atheist don't believe in anything to be a clear indication the asserter knows nothing about atheism. That's no surprise, of course, but as discussed in many threads on this site, atheists have but one one thing in common - a disbelief in any supernatural deities of the sort described in major religions. If your theist acquaintances think that to disbelieve in their deity is to disbelieve in everything, you should ask them if they believe in the pot of gold at the end of the rainbow. If they disbelieve in one thing, does that mean they disbelieve in everything? Balderdash!!

(14-09-2010 12:30 PM)Sunshine Wrote:  I agree if the laws themselves are not moral then the society is not moral but that's why I said a democratic system because I too believe it's intrinsic and in a democracy the majority rules and the majority generally do tend to agree upon the greater good of society. So, yeah, all that to say, I feel ya.

The key to democracy is not majority rule, though! It's protection of the rights of minorities. Our Bill of Rights is the most important document of any of those created by our founders!! If you have a society consisting of two wolves and a single sheep, guess what the vote outcome will be for dinner!
15-09-2010, 06:01 PM

Chicken? Tongue Because the bill of rights protects the sheep from being eaten. Yes, agreed, I'm still feelin' ya. Smile I wasn't implying there was only one key to a democracy (the majority), I was just restating what you said to basically say, I was agreeing with you on that point.
15-09-2010, 07:34 PM

And the pot of gold analogy is good but, if only it were that simple with theists... Because, as I'm sure you know, they don't equate a disbelief in leprechauns the same as that in their god, nor do they equate pots of gold with morality. As they see it, without a god, you don't have any moral beliefs (of course we atheists know this is ridiculous). So, what are your morals then atheist, what do you believe in? (they ask)
15-09-2010, 07:44 PM
My answer to "What are your morals, atheist?" would be this:
--That I treat each person I meet with open friendliness and respect.
--That I treat all living things with dignity and kindness. (we have a farm, so this is
especially important to me)
--That I try to be a good friend, and that includes setting boundaries.
--That I try to help those in need when I can (I give to secular charities sometimes)
--That I can be good for goodness sake, and not because I am afraid of cosmic retribution.
17-09-2010, 09:51 AM
(07-09-2010 12:27 PM)omega21 Wrote:  How would you all have reacted and replied?

I would simply have said "I find that offensive!"

Hey, if it works for their side of the argument, it should work for ours. Right!?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
21-09-2010, 10:21 AM
Well I get my paper back today that inlcuded my response to this in the end. Also, one of my books for this class says that teens with better educated parents are more likely to attend religious services than teens with less educated parents. Shouldn't be the other way around? It does also say that older teens tend to be less religious than younger teens which has to do with them being more educated I'm sure.
22-09-2010, 12:39 AM
(21-09-2010 10:21 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Well I get my paper back today that inlcuded my response to this in the end. Also, one of my books for this class says that teens with better educated parents are more likely to attend religious services than teens with less educated parents. Shouldn't be the other way around? It does also say that older teens tend to be less religious than younger teens which has to do with them being more educated I'm sure.

Yes, it is the other way around. Studies consistantly show that higher education = lower religiousness and higher intellegence = lower religiousness. The most highly educated and most intelligent people are the least likely to be religious and the ones that are don't place much importance on their religion. (They don't believe in personal gods).
22-09-2010, 01:20 AM
(21-09-2010 10:21 AM)omega21 Wrote:  Well I get my paper back today that inlcuded my response to this in the end. Also, one of my books for this class says that teens with better educated parents are more likely to attend religious services than teens with less educated parents. Shouldn't be the other way around? It does also say that older teens tend to be less religious than younger teens which has to do with them being more educated I'm sure.

A good text book should alway reference statements like this. Is there a list of references in the back?

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you