Atheism can't explain this?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2010, 04:21 PM
RE: Atheism can't explain this?
The source is the National Survey of Youth and Religion. The author is a Sociologist, and the publisher is Oxford University Press meaning that it has been peer reviewed, and is considered an academic text. I don't think it is the source so much. The people surveyed are 13 to 17. If it were college students, and college graduates I am sure all the surveys in the the book would be very different. Aiming more towards secularism. I for one was a theist until the end of my junior year of college last February. As for my paper the teacher is behind on it and I have yet to get it back. I hope he comments on my atheist and society paragraph
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 01:58 AM

(22-09-2010 04:21 PM)omega21 Wrote:  The source is the National Survey of Youth and Religion. The author is a Sociologist, and the publisher is Oxford University Press meaning that it has been peer reviewed, and is considered an academic text. I don't think it is the source so much. The people surveyed are 13 to 17. If it were college students, and college graduates I am sure all the surveys in the the book would be very different.
Surveys can be tricky things ... it's very difficult to account for all factors that might bias the results. Moreover, peer review is a meaningful standard, but doesn't guarantee much of anything. Having been peer reviewed is distinctly a higher hurdle than no peer review, naturally. If the results of this survey have been peer reviewed, then we can have some confidence in them, but not absolute confidence.

Being a recognized academic text is also no guarantee of anything - consider the garbage being forced on K-12 textbooks by the Board of Indoctrination ... er ... Board of Education ... in Texas! Textbooks aren't always given a thorough peer review, and they have some well-known issues.

You might well be correct in your speculation that the results would be different if the survey had been of college students or college grads, but without evidence it's no more than speculation. It's good to develop the habit of asking for sources and to not accept sources at face value, on 'faith'. This is an important distinction between science and religion - science has no absolute truths, and 'argument by authority' is not given any credibility.
Quote this message in a reply
25-09-2010, 01:43 PM
A few helpful quotes on the topic.

β€œIs God willing to prevent evil, but not able?
Then he is not omnipotent.
Is he able, but not willing?
Then he is malevolent.
Is he both able and willing?
Then whence cometh evil?
Is he neither able nor willing?
Then why call him God?”

Epicurus – Greek philosopher, BC 341-270

"The point I am concerned with is that, if you are quite sure there is a difference between right and wrong, then you are in this situation: Is that difference due to God's fiat or is it not? If it is due to God's fiat, then for God himself there is no difference between right and wrong, and it is no longer a significant statement to say that God is good. If you are going to say, as theologians do, that God is good, you must then say that right and wrong have some meaning which is independent of God's fiat, because God's fiats are good and not bad independently of the mere fact that he made them. If you are going to say that, you will then have to say that it is not only through God that right and wrong came into being, but that they are in their essence logically anterior to God."

Bertrand Russell (Why I am not a Christian) 1927

"There is nothing divine about morality; it is a purely human affair."

Albert Einstein (The World As I See It) 1949
25-09-2010, 06:55 PM
I don't believe in right and wrong as things. Right and wrong are human concepts whose purpose is for us to live in harmony with each other. We all want to be treated fairly and to live without the threat of other people harming us, so we created right and wrong to protect ourselves and families from evil people and to train people to not do evil to others.
11-10-2010, 07:46 PM

Had I been in the class, I think I would have dared to address the matter. I have balls, they just happen to have traveled north and settled on my chest. Tongue

Morality is not universal. That is a given. I don't think religion can be said to be the absolute in bestowing morality into a society, when the god(s) of virtually every faith, and especially that of Christianity and Islam, are demonstrative of avowing immoral precepts as instruction for righteous living.
Quote this message in a reply