Atheism destroyed with a question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-02-2014, 01:20 AM
RE: Atheism destroyed with a question
DLJ's playing silly buggers. Bloody cryptic English humour...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-02-2014, 04:43 AM
You know, being highly empathic I sense a certain flippancy in this thread. Mayhaps I am completely wrong, and there is very much a real possibility that I am being swayed by my own inherent biases, but I just cannot help being suspicious that people here are, well ... making fun of the OP.

If so then I beg of you to think about how this may be the OP's first venture into a world outside of the one that he was raised in, his first attempt at debating with people who hold a different world view. He probably spent countless minutes pasting text onto a googled image and uploading it to youtube so as to impress his parents. And here we are discouraging him in his first attempts in formulating a coherent argument. So let me be the first to respond with:

"Yes dear, now go tidy your room"
[+] 2 users Like Mathilda's post
02-02-2014, 02:20 PM
(01-02-2014 05:18 AM)Darkledit Wrote:  

The video is sourced too.
1) Your definition of atheism is incorrect.

2) While you attempt (unsuccessfully) to show how atheist logic fails, you provide no reasonable alternative. You propose "God" and claim it is "eternal". No doubt, if I ask where God came from then, you would say "he always was". THIS is more logical??? Seriously??? Explain how something can "always be" because you haven't even started to do so and yet you expect the atheist position to logically answer your every point or you otherwise claim it fails. Well, I'm holding you to the same standard.

3) Black text on a dark background... you failed again.

4) My atheism still exists. So much for "destroyed". You failed again.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
05-02-2014, 04:18 PM
The moment he said "God is eternal" just made me sigh. The second anybody says that they are just using the god of the gaps.
"We don't so therefore god and his super powers did it".

If God existed the this would make a bit more sense, but we have no evidence of God so you can't just skip that question and assume you have the right answer to then answer another question.

“Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way.

-Christopher Hitchens
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-02-2014, 08:09 PM
@Darkledit
You obviously don't know what a singularity is, or what quantum mechanics is. Have you even read ANYTHING on the big bang? We, atheist have a good strategy, know your opponent, (not saying religion is a "opponent") and atheists read the bible. Religious people use the science text book at just go to the glossary, not even reading "how?" Or "why? " the big bang not only is a theory itself, it has multiple theories to explain it. Anyways, look at the definition of "theory" in your glossary in science textbook that you have to try to "disprove" scientific theories by just looking at the definition and not knowing the process. The universe didn't come from nothing, it can from another universe that probably collapsed to a super dense point of matter.
And also, occam's razor doesn't work in any situation. What if your friend had the simplest answer to "how do we get through or to the other side of this electric fence?" He says, "Punch it with your bare hands!".

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
05-02-2014, 08:14 PM
Look at #1 and #2 here.

05-02-2014, 08:20 PM
(01-02-2014 06:26 PM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(01-02-2014 04:48 PM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  I'm going to destroy theism with one question, "Why did the chicken cross the road"?

That's easy, because it had free will.

Oh but hold on, how did the chicken decide to cross the road?

Well I suppose because it had a brain.

But did it have a choice about how its brain was going to be wired up or what instincts drove it? Did it have a choice about how it was brought up free-range or battery farmed and its inherent biases regarding tarmac, kerbs and fast moving cars? Did the chicken have the mental faculty to determine every possible outcome of crossing the road or not at that particular time or in the future?

Probably not. So it didn't really have free will. But if free will doesn't exist, then how can it freely decide whether to go to Chicken Heaven or KFC?

Um technically no one has free will.
It is chemical reactions in his brain that sent a message throughout the nervous system to move it's legs.

05-02-2014, 08:58 PM
(05-02-2014 08:20 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Um technically no one has free will.
It is chemical reactions in his brain that sent a message throughout the nervous system to move it's legs.

Perhaps.....perhaps not. Consider

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_the_...ss_Chicken

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-02-2014, 09:51 PM
(05-02-2014 08:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 08:20 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  Um technically no one has free will.

Perhaps.....perhaps not. Consider

Yes, I know chickens can live a long time without their heads.
When I said brain, I meant whatever makes the controlling orders, which can also mean vital systems not directly located in the skull/head area, including the brain stem, which is actually the most important part of the brain.

05-02-2014, 10:51 PM
(05-02-2014 09:51 PM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 08:58 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  Perhaps.....perhaps not. Consider

Yes, I know chickens can live a long time without their heads.
When I said brain, I meant whatever makes the controlling orders, which can also mean vital systems not directly located in the skull/head area, including the brain stem, which is actually the most important part of the brain.

Thank you for the clarification, because I was definitely not making a joke. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco