Atheism for some?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2015, 01:35 AM
Atheism for some?
So another individual tried to say I was never an atheist again. I found it offensive again, somehow. Was thinking; I used to not only vehemently not believe in God, but also held a very strong contempt for God simultaneously. I recall cursing God out of some mix of hatred and disbelief. Thinking or recollecting this brought me to the realization that I indeed must have never been a true atheist, as one cannot hold any emotion towards a thing that they don't believe in. So although I was an evolutionist for the majority of my life thus far, I cannot claim that I was a real atheist because of my contempt or hatred towards God.

I know many here seem to hate God and the mere possibility of us being created from a source. But logic states that you cannot have any regard towards something you don't think is even real. My logic anyway.

Opinions?

Peace
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-11-2015, 01:38 AM (This post was last modified: 28-11-2015 01:43 AM by DLJ.)
RE: Atheism for some?
So you agreeing that you were never an atheist?

Indeed, how can one have an emotion as strong as contempt for something in which one does not believe?

Perhaps you have not understood the difference between a god (or goddess) and the concept of a god (or goddess)?

Consider

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
28-11-2015, 03:07 AM
(28-11-2015 01:35 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So another individual tried to say I was never an atheist again. I found it offensive again, somehow. Was thinking; I used to not only vehemently not believe in God, but also held a very strong contempt for God simultaneously. I recall cursing God out of some mix of hatred and disbelief. Thinking or recollecting this brought me to the realization that I indeed must have never been a true atheist, as one cannot hold any emotion towards a thing that they don't believe in. So although I was an evolutionist for the majority of my life thus far, I cannot claim that I was a real atheist because of my contempt or hatred towards God.

I know many here seem to hate God and the mere possibility of us being created from a source. But logic states that you cannot have any regard towards something you don't think is even real. My logic anyway.

Opinions?

Peace

It's a stupid concept for not "real" X, be it atheist or music fan or whatever. But... why would you have hatred at and cursing some being you have no believing of existing?

Is this the same way people would have hatred at Joffrey in Game of Thrones? I've heard of that, but never heard of someone with hatred for the concept of Unicorns or having hatred for the Loch Ness Monster.

A better, more attempted point people are trying to get at with this case is, that you weren't an atheist for some purpose of reasoning and thinking about the concept through rational study or philosophical query. Like you said, you had "hatred" that drove it. Like Alla has shown, she was atheist as a kid in Soviet controlled land largely due to enforcement and what she recently posted shows, tainted propaganda material that was given to her generation. These aren't solid rationales to accept or believe almost any claim, though the latter one for a kid isn't easy to figure out.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
28-11-2015, 03:37 AM
Yeah, that's all good and great. My point is that I have observed seemingly countless cases of individuals here with an utter hatred for God and the general concept there of. This, in it's self negates atheism.
28-11-2015, 04:03 AM
(28-11-2015 03:37 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  ...
utter hatred for God and the general concept there of.

Seriously, do you understand the difference between the two?

28-11-2015, 04:07 AM
(28-11-2015 04:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Yeah one is the perception of an acknowledged believer, and the other is the perception of one in denial.
28-11-2015, 04:08 AM
(28-11-2015 04:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN​NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 7 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-11-2015, 04:09 AM
(28-11-2015 04:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-11-2015 04:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Seriously, do you understand the difference between the two?

Short Answer: No.

Long Answer: NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN​NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO​OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.
See?
28-11-2015, 04:12 AM
(28-11-2015 04:07 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(28-11-2015 04:03 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Seriously, do you understand the difference between the two?
Yeah one is the perception of an acknowledged believer, and the other is the perception of one in denial.

Nope. One can acknowledge, argue upon, or even hold in contempt the idea or the concept of a 'god' (depending on how you define it), without that concept literally existing as anything more than a thought experiment.

A concept of a 'god' does not need to exist for someone to find it contemptible, such as with your particular flavor of emotionally stunted pan-dimensional genocidal space wizard.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-11-2015, 04:12 AM
(28-11-2015 04:07 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  

I'll rephrase the question ...

Do you understand the difference between a god and the concept of a god?