Atheism for some?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-11-2015, 02:33 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 04:11 PM by kim.)
RE: Atheism for some?
(28-11-2015 01:35 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  So another individual tried to say I was never an atheist again. I found it offensive again, somehow. Was thinking; I used to not only vehemently not believe in God, but also held a very strong contempt for God simultaneously. I recall cursing God out of some mix of hatred and disbelief. Thinking or recollecting this brought me to the realization that I indeed must have never been a true atheist, as one cannot hold any emotion towards a thing that they don't believe in. So although I was an evolutionist for the majority of my life thus far, I cannot claim that I was a real atheist because of my contempt or hatred towards God.

I know many here seem to hate God and the mere possibility of us being created from a source. But logic states that you cannot have any regard towards something you don't think is even real. My logic anyway.

Opinions?

Peace

Ok, here's my opinion.

From what you stated, this is what I'm getting...
A person is born into a home and surrounding environment, somewhat devoid of religion. Said person encounters religion along the way and feels imposed upon enough to outright reject all manner of religion and it's trappings, possibly even without indepth research into it. This rejection becomes quite personal and emotional, and the person actually begins to "hate" all aspects of this ubiquitous institution, including it's fictitious elements. This person starts to believe fictitious things.... just enough to hate.

Then, one day this person experiences something personal which equals and even overshadows the emotional hatred harboured for this religious institution and all it's aspects. The person looks into this information and finds solace, realizing there may be something previously only assumed rather than truly assessed or even understood. The person realizes that a thing can not be hated unless it is believed to be real.

Is that where you are in your understanding of your own situation? Shy
Personally, I was never raised within any religious structure. I learned about various religions somewhat growing up and looked into quite a few at various times during my life. My parents made certain that I was free to think whatever way I wished, as long as I was able to back it up with logic and reason.

At an early age, (around 9 or 10) I was able to compare many different religious stories many other mythical stories and I found them to indeed, be myths as well. At about the age of 13 was the first time I was directly asked to define my stance on religion and I had no qualms about stating I did not believe any of it to be true.

Though the stories may be useful and contain thoughtful ideas, I felt and still feel they are simply myths. I have always been able to enjoy reading about various peoples' beliefs and cultures with fascination and have never found any reason to "hate" anything in a story I consider to be mythical. Even though many characters might be worthy of my disgust, I don't hate any of them because I know they are not real. Part of the reason people have mythical stories is to form ideas about how to behave and not to behave ... it's why there are "good guys" and "bad guys" in all our stories from cowboys to spacemen to knights.
Stories are not reality.

So, that's where I am in my understanding - but that's just my story.

Others here and all over the world who fall under the atheist umbrella, have been damaged quite extensively, having been indoctrinated into religious belief and then realizing, they just don't believe any of it to be true. They have every right to be angry that people such as their parents, have chosen to give greater care and respect to an institution, over the personal wellfare of their own child.

But that isn't my case .... it's not my fight because it was not my personal experience with religion. I do support these people, however. I know how difficult it must be to have been literally taken over by everything they believed and participated in and then found it to be nonexistant, leaving them make a new life for themselves.

This community is only one part of many support networks for people recovering from pretending to be something they aren't. It can be tough but each has to figure it out for their self.

Don't know what you're doing here but I'm here to lend another voice to reason. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like kim's post
30-11-2015, 02:34 PM
(30-11-2015 02:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 01:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'm sorry that you base your perception and judgement on a very limited interpretation of scripture. The sacrifice of the Christ is for the sake of man as a whole, not God.

Assuming it ever happened, it benefited no one alive today.
I don't even know what to say to that. Everything happens for a reason. The fact that we are still here shows that the work of the Crist is not complete. The fact that the world is in the shape it is in also shows that our direction under God has yet to have been fulfilled.
30-11-2015, 02:57 PM
(30-11-2015 02:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 02:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Assuming it ever happened, it benefited no one alive today.
I don't even know what to say to that.

Of course you don't - it flies in the face of all the malarkey you believe.

Quote:Everything happens for a reason.

No, it doesn't. There is randomness in the universe. Shit happens.

Quote:The fact that we are still here shows that the work of the Crist is not complete.

No, it doesn't. It shows that we are a surviving product of evolution.

Quote:The fact that the world is in the shape it is in also shows that our direction under God has yet to have been fulfilled.

That doesn't even pretend to mean anything. Facepalm

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2015, 03:13 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 03:17 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(30-11-2015 01:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 12:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Hey there, nut case,
This is an atheist forum. We neither want nor welcome your version of "good news". None of us.

Your "good news" involves an eons old pissed-off deity, who (supposedly) required the sacrifice of a son, before he could feel better. I suppose it IS in line with your insanity that you would consider that bullshit as "good news", but trust me, it's not all that *good*. Facepalm
I'm sorry that you base your perception and judgement on a very limited interpretation of scripture. The sacrifice of the Christ is for the sake of man as a whole, not God.

1. I know more about "scripture" than you ever will.
2. The "sacrifice" (the ancient concept of appeasing the gods) did no one any good. Humanity changed in no way, AND "doing a sacrifice" was not the job of a messiah. They cooked him up a new job when he didn't get the real one done.

On the contrary, it is you who actually knows nothing about the history of "sacrifice" in general, or why the (supposed) one you reference makes no sense.
When the young man in Matthew asked Jesus what he had to do to gain eternal life, did Jesus say "Oh, just wait until I do my *sacrifice* ?". No. He said "Keep the commandments". Did JESUS say anything about "sacrifice" ? No. Your cult made that shit up to justify it's continuation when the "end-times" did not arrive as they had expected. Buncha losers.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
30-11-2015, 03:33 PM
(30-11-2015 03:13 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 01:31 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  I'm sorry that you base your perception and judgement on a very limited interpretation of scripture. The sacrifice of the Christ is for the sake of man as a whole, not God.

1. I know more about "scripture" than you ever will.
2. The "sacrifice" (the ancient concept of appeasing the gods) did no one any good. Humanity changed in no way, AND "doing a sacrifice" was not the job of a messiah. They cooked him up a new job when he didn't get the real one done.

On the contrary, it is you who actually knows nothing about the history of "sacrifice" in general, or why the (supposed) one you reference makes no sense.
When the young man in Matthew asked Jesus what he had to do to gain eternal life, did Jesus say "Oh, just wait until I do my *sacrifice* ?". No. He said "Keep the commandments". Did JESUS say anything about "sacrifice" ? No. Your cult made that shit up to justify it's continuation when the "end-times" did not arrive as they had expected. Buncha losers.

Yabut,

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
30-11-2015, 04:23 PM (This post was last modified: 30-11-2015 05:13 PM by kim.)
(30-11-2015 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut,

Godfuckingdamnit! Angel

Thanks a fuckton, Chas... I'll be humming every song from that musical all night long, now!! Dodgy Laughat

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
30-11-2015, 04:23 PM
(30-11-2015 12:41 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(29-11-2015 12:25 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  There are approximately 10000 of you. You don't speak for all.

Hey there, nut case,
This is an atheist forum. We neither want nor welcome your version of "good news". None of us.

Your "good news" involves an eons old pissed-off deity, who (supposedly) required the sacrifice of a son, before he could feel better. I suppose it IS in line with your insanity that you would consider that bullshit as "good news", but trust me, it's not all that *good*. Facepalm
Most primitive religions are based on blood etc...
30-11-2015, 05:26 PM
(30-11-2015 04:23 PM)kim Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 03:33 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut,

Godfuckingdamnit! Angel

Thanks a fuckton, Chas... I'll be humming every song from that musical all night long, now!! Dodgy Laughat

Angel

30-11-2015, 05:31 PM
(30-11-2015 02:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Everything happens for a reason.

Yeah, Girly don't buy that. Drinking Beverage

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-11-2015, 05:44 PM
(30-11-2015 05:31 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(30-11-2015 02:34 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Everything happens for a reason.

Yeah, Girly don't buy that. Drinking Beverage

In fairness the reason could be that it's a random occurrence. Wink

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 4 users Like Anjele's post