Atheism in New Zealand and Australia.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-10-2011, 01:04 PM
Atheism in New Zealand and Australia.
Reading some of these threads it would seem that in some countries, particularly the US, being an 'open' atheist carries a fair amount of stigma. Personally my experiences within NZ have been really very positive, but I wonder if this is because of the age bracket I fall into, or the city I'm from etc. etc. So I'm interested in seeing how many other Kiwi and also Aussie atheists are out there and what their experiences with atheism have been.

Just for reference I think in NZ the percentage of people who gave 'no religion' in the 2006 census was almost 40%.

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Mad Prophet's post
19-10-2011, 02:46 AM
RE: Atheism in New Zealand and Australia.
(18-10-2011 01:04 PM)Mad Prophet Wrote:  Reading some of these threads it would seem that in some countries, particularly the US, being an 'open' atheist carries a fair amount of stigma. Personally my experiences within NZ have been really very positive, but I wonder if this is because of the age bracket I fall into, or the city I'm from etc. etc. So I'm interested in seeing how many other Kiwi and also Aussie atheists are out there and what their experiences with atheism have been.

Just for reference I think in NZ the percentage of people who gave 'no religion' in the 2006 census was almost 40%.

We in Australia and NZ greatly underestimate how dangerous and pervasive Christianity in America really is. America lags behind the rest of the developed world in this regard ( no disrespect intended to American atheists).
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Mark Fulton's post
19-10-2011, 03:23 AM
(19-10-2011 02:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  
(18-10-2011 01:04 PM)Mad Prophet Wrote:  Reading some of these threads it would seem that in some countries, particularly the US, being an 'open' atheist carries a fair amount of stigma. Personally my experiences within NZ have been really very positive, but I wonder if this is because of the age bracket I fall into, or the city I'm from etc. etc. So I'm interested in seeing how many other Kiwi and also Aussie atheists are out there and what their experiences with atheism have been.

We in Australia and NZ greatly underestimate how dangerous and pervasive Christianity in America really is. America lags behind the rest of the developed world in this regard ( no disrespect intended to American atheists).

Yeah it certainly seems that way. Oh well, maybe I can head over one day and spread the "good word".

Just to clarify by "good word" I mean evolution Tongue

"Sin, young man, is when you treat people as things" - Granny Weatherwax in Carpe Jugulum by Terry Pratchett.
19-10-2011, 05:31 AM
(19-10-2011 02:46 AM)Mark Fulton Wrote:  We in Australia and NZ greatly underestimate how dangerous and pervasive Christianity in America really is. America lags behind the rest of the developed world in this regard ( no disrespect intended to American atheists).
No offense taken. We have a heavy fight on our hands here. Sometimes I look at my gun safe...
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
19-10-2011, 02:53 PM
Sadly, polarization has forced some of us into firm opposition when previously, tolerance was our united perspective. We do have a heavy fight on our hands - it's something I hate knowing about the US. Confused

Heart It's good to see the hopeful examples set by Australia and NZ.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
19-10-2011, 03:12 PM
(19-10-2011 02:53 PM)kim Wrote:  Sadly, polarization has forced some of us into firm opposition when previously, tolerance was our united perspective. We do have a heavy fight on our hands - it's something I hate knowing about the US. Confused

Heart It's good to see the hopeful examples set by Australia and NZ.

I don't know if the NZ/Aus example is without flaws, but hopefully you can achieve the same sort of success that we have in our part of the world Smile

Kia kaha!

19-10-2011, 11:41 PM
When It comes to Australia and religion, I think the atheists are more up in arms about religion and pseudoscience because the theists are trying to push stuff in the schools, but here in NZ, that never really happens. We don't have chaplains in the schools or anything. We're just purely apathetic. I can tell you from my experience I am the only one who ever brings up religion and everybody hates me for it - It's one of the two you never talk about, religion and politics..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
28-10-2011, 04:34 AM
(19-10-2011 11:41 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  I can tell you from my experience I am the only one who ever brings up religion and everybody hates me for it - It's one of the two you never talk about, religion and politics..

Yeah too true. Although get enough drinks in me and I can ramble about the both of them until the cows come home.

28-10-2011, 06:16 AM

(19-10-2011 11:41 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  When It comes to Australia and religion, I think the atheists are more up in arms about religion and pseudoscience because the theists are trying to push stuff in the schools, but here in NZ, that never really happens. We don't have chaplains in the schools or anything. We're just purely apathetic. [snip]

That's definately the case to some extent. Here in Aus the christian school I attend has a chaplain, though he doesnt seem to do anything useful. Honestly the amount of religion they teach is very minimal, and they teach evolution in science as fact and not theory, so the school just has a bit of a christian vibe to it without any full on fundamentalism.
Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2011, 10:01 PM
It’s kinda relaxed here in NZ, no one gets too worked up about anything really…
Those who know me ether know what I think or just have to ask.
Don’t think I’d do too well in the bible belt of the US!

Hey Mad & Daemonowner, if you’re in Auckland PM me and we’ll have to catch up for a beer.

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 2 users Like Karl's post