Atheism in daily life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 06:41 AM
Atheism in daily life
Have you ever gotten into an argument with a theist which ended with him saying "I am a theist because it brings positivity and hope in my life and makes me a better person"?

Theists always seem to have a lot of positive things to say about their respective religions and god in general. (Its not like we cannot refute their arguments successfully but at least I choose not to. Particularly not this one because I end up getting all worked up.)

But whenever I hear that argument I wonder what atheism brings us in our daily lives. Apart from the obvious positive that we are denying the illogical and embracing life based on reason (which is most of the times the REASON for our atheism).

Here, I am not interested in the reason for choosing atheism. I think we all know that. I am concerned with the positive (or even negative, if any) changes it has brought in our daily lives. What exactly changed AFTER you became an atheist if at all anything changed. It can be a change in perspective, change in the way of doing things, etc.

I myself feel that being an atheist I save a lot of time which my theist friends waste praying and visiting holy places. I have more freedom than they have and I am a more confident person with clarity of thoughts. But again I was born in an atheist family so I haven't really experienced the transition. I am unable to compare being "me being a theist" with my current state. I am sure someone who has experienced the transition will be able to answer in a better manner.

So, what do you think are the positive aspects of being an atheist in your daily life? How has atheism changed your life for the good?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
26-02-2014, 07:03 AM
RE: Atheism in daily life
like you I was raised in an atheist family. I found I had much less "I *have* to do ____" or "I shouldn't do ____" than many of my friends. It just seemed like I was free to make choices without all the guilt and worry. It seemed to have more of an impact during my teen years, when a person tests parental boundaries, with pre-marital sex, drinking, etc.

And the next two may have just been my upbringing, and not so much being atheist. But there were many times I felt that I had a better 'bullshit' detector than friends, which comes in handy frequently. And I think I understood the 'circle of life' (not just in technical terms, but in an emotional way) better than my friends. I understood the connectedness and didn't just blow it all off to a sky daddy that created it. I remember meeting a theist in college who was having a hard time trying to remember it all….just basic life cycle of a forest. It was like they were trying to memorize that leaves fall, they breakdown with weather, creatures, etc, enrich soil….you know the circle, and I just understood….it was something I learned at 6 years of age walking in the backyard. I remember that I was quite puzzled that they didn't just 'get it'.

not sure if I answered your question or not…..hope so.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
26-02-2014, 07:07 AM
I can sleep late on Sundays, so there's that. Drinking Beverage

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
26-02-2014, 07:22 AM
I have the freedom as an atheist to choose for myself the meaning of my life and what I hope to achieve to make it worthwhile.
26-02-2014, 08:17 AM
Well, for starters, I no longer fear the impending end of days. Growing up, I was terrified that Armageddon was coming soon. It was the worst part of going to the kingdom hall. Knowing that I'd likely be listening to a talk about how Armageddon is just around the corner; coming "as a thief in the night" who could strike at literally any moment. Oh, and before that, there's to be "the Great Tribulation" in which all non-Witnesses will turn on the "true" christians and beat, rape and torture us for who-knows-how-long.

It's amazing how ominous a beautiful, sunny afternoon can look from inside the walls of a kingdom hall when you're sure the dreaded apocalypse is on its way. (I'm actually trembling just recalling it…wow) That's a lot of emotional pressure to put on a kid who already suffers (suffered) from acute anxiety.

What sucked for me was that I had goals and dreams to which I aspired. Even then, I wanted to write and make movies and express my creativity on a large scale. But every time it was brought up, my parents would shoot it down; telling me that Armageddon was soon and that I shouldn't worry about frivolous dreams; instead focusing on worshipping Jehovah and making sure I was doing everything I could to make him proud. But now, the future is open. I don't have to put my dreams aside for some apocalypse that will never come. An enormous weight was lifted from my shoulders when I lost my faith.

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Misanthropik's post
26-02-2014, 08:59 AM
I don't waste my life away praying for stuff for hours a day and being a big ego.
When I was a child I always wished/prayed to win the lottery or something. Not anymore.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
26-02-2014, 09:02 AM
I know that this life is all I've got and if I want to make it better, I have to work here and now and not wait for any "Heaven". This motivates me and makes me appreciate the little joys in life more.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 2 users Like undergroundp's post
26-02-2014, 09:08 AM
I don't need, nor want my atheism to be a source of happiness. All I need is the beautiful people in my life.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]
[+] 1 user Likes Logica Humano's post
26-02-2014, 09:31 AM
Nobody is going to hell. Enough reason to be happy.
[+] 3 users Like donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 09:55 AM
What Miso said. Plus I was immediately able to brush off any bigoted views I held because of religion. My tendency towards empathy and acceptance increased overnight.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post