Atheism in daily life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-02-2014, 09:58 AM
RE: Atheism in daily life
Yeah, atheism is the one way to truly be "free from sin"

Free from guilt and shame and unworthiness. I'm much happier being open, loving all aspects of who I am, and having confidence in my own knowledge and decisions. Taking into account [i]real[i/] consequences in THIS life is so much better than worrying about whether or not your following "god's will"... Which is impossible to know anyway! It's anybody's best (or worst) guess. It's easier, and a million times better, to consider the real world and the people therein.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Colourcraze's post
26-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Btw I became more compassionate and forgiving once I discovered that free will is illusory and how much we are impacted by the environment and that people can't help but be who they are.
Because of this I was also able to much better put myself in the shoes of others and therefore started caring about well being of sentients beings much more. I became more sensetive to the pain and suffering of other beings. So yeah atheism did made me a better person.
And besides once you realize that evil is not part of gods plan and stop making excuses for it you can do more to prevent it.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
26-02-2014, 02:03 PM
Not having to feel guilty for being human. That's the best part of atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
26-02-2014, 02:48 PM
I enjoy life, take each day as it comes and try live life to the full, instead of wasting it preparing for some non-existent afterlife.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
26-02-2014, 06:25 PM
Wow. So much positivity. Its great to see how atheism is contributing towards the betterment of human beings in general.

I would like to add that being an atheist makes me more open minded than others. I also proudly lack the hatred my theist friends have towards other religions. I have always thought of theism like being atheistic towards all the other religions out there except yours. As atheists we are going one step further and I think that makes us a better person and this step also opens up a world of new possibilities for us.

I like being an atheist and I like being around you people.
[+] 3 users Like lamexcuses's post
26-02-2014, 06:41 PM
Intellectual honesty.

Wanting to have as many true beliefs and as few false beliefs as possible.

Being open minded. I am open to believe any claim that is presented to me that is supported by demonstrable evidence and reasoned argument. I am not forced, by presuppositions, to accept ridiculous beliefs, or reject evidence supported beliefs because of any presuppositions.
26-02-2014, 11:33 PM
If you believe that a creator of the entire universe interacts with you on a daily basis, you can't help but be egocentric. Without any such belief, I feel that I have a clearer sense of reality. I try to think altruistically.

I know that I am but one individual among billions of one species among multi-millions of other species on one planet orbiting one star among billions and billions of other stars in one galaxy among billions and billions of other galaxies in one universe (that is theorized to be among many, or infinite, other universes). ...and I'm okay with that.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
23-03-2014, 05:18 PM
I am no longer conflicted about supporting the hateful teachings of the church or loving people for who they are. Now I can accept people with a loving heart all the time.

Unless of course the person in question is an asshole. Those I just lovingly ignore.
[+] 2 users Like wazzel's post
26-03-2014, 11:56 PM
Atheism does not bring anything positive to my life, reason does. I don't identify myself with being an atheist, I identify myself as a rational thinker. My atheism is a result of an honest and sincere attempt to use reason as my only means to understand reality. Honesty, reason, logic, and an unwillingness to fake reality are all virtues that I try to practice to the best of my ability and that do have a positive effect on life.

For those who say that their faith brings them hope and makes them a better person I would ask them how pretending to know things about the world that they don't know can ever bring them comfort or make them a better person.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 2 users Like true scotsman's post
06-09-2014, 02:45 PM
I have lost all the guilt that used to hang over me for not being a "good enough" Christian. For not reading my bible or praying enough and not going to church often.

I feel more confident in myself.

I feel more open. I was always a very closed Christian. I didn't like to pray aloud or talk much about spiritual things. I always said it was just too personal for me. With the few people who I'm out with, I have no problems discussing things.

I feel like I have more to live for. There is no beautiful, perfect afterlife awaiting me. This is it and I need to make the most of it. Along that same line I have been making better use of my time, knowing that this is all I have. I will not be spending eternity with my kids, I have them NOW and I think I appreciate that more.

I have a new thirst for information. I have always loved learning, but I'm insatiable now.

So I'd say in my daily life, the biggest change is in my use of time. More time spent educating myself and being present for my kids and DH. And being more forward and open with others.
[+] 3 users Like OlafsNose's post