Atheism in daily life

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2014, 05:28 PM
RE: Atheism in daily life
Hello?
I need advice. This is my first post here and I apologize if it isn't in the correct place.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2014, 06:22 PM
(26-02-2014 06:41 AM)lamexcuses Wrote:  Have you ever gotten into an argument with a theist which ended with him saying "I am a theist because it brings positivity and hope in my life and makes me a better person"?

Theists always seem to have a lot of positive things to say about their respective religions and god in general. (Its not like we cannot refute their arguments successfully but at least I choose not to. Particularly not this one because I end up getting all worked up.)

But whenever I hear that argument I wonder what atheism brings us in our daily lives. Apart from the obvious positive that we are denying the illogical and embracing life based on reason (which is most of the times the REASON for our atheism).

Here, I am not interested in the reason for choosing atheism. I think we all know that. I am concerned with the positive (or even negative, if any) changes it has brought in our daily lives. What exactly changed AFTER you became an atheist if at all anything changed. It can be a change in perspective, change in the way of doing things, etc.

I myself feel that being an atheist I save a lot of time which my theist friends waste praying and visiting holy places. I have more freedom than they have and I am a more confident person with clarity of thoughts. But again I was born in an atheist family so I haven't really experienced the transition. I am unable to compare being "me being a theist" with my current state. I am sure someone who has experienced the transition will be able to answer in a better manner.

So, what do you think are the positive aspects of being an atheist in your daily life? How has atheism changed your life for the good?

On the thought that "why take away faith if it helps people get through the day"...I've never really understood how removing a bad way to reason will make it difficult to get through the day. If anything, it would seem that correcting someone's reasoning would significantly increase their chances of getting through their day.

With reliable forms of reasoning comes the capability of crafting conditions that enable people to navigate life's obstacles. By using a more reliable form of reasoning, people are more capable of bringing about conditions that enable them to flourish.

To argue that people need faith is to abandon hope, and to condescend and accuse the faithful of being incapable of understanding the importance of reason and rationality. There are better and worse ways to come to terms with death, to find strength during times of personal crisis, to make meaning and purpose in our lives, to interpret our sense of awe and wonder, and to contribute to human well-being...and the faithful are completely capable of understanding and achieving this..if they would only try.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-09-2014, 06:23 PM
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Shmookins Wrote:  Hello?
I need advice. This is my first post here and I apologize if it isn't in the correct place.

mkay I will bite, what do you need shmookins?

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
10-09-2014, 06:56 PM
When I was a young teenager...I thought something along these lines:
"I wish I could believe, and think I was immortal, eternally loved, divinely important. Life is hard. Loneliness is hard. Having that reinforcement would help so much."

I honestly thought that religious folk were happier than non-religious folk (I also didn't know any non-religious folk). I thought in their world of lies about an all-powerful all-loving god they had found a sort of false happiness, like that given by drug use (I'm guessing). But I've always been much too concerned with reality to ever honestly want to go down that path...but the concept of being eternally loved was something I could be jealous of back when I was younger.

I'm the product of a jacked up home, so that type of stuff always got to me.

Of course, I got over that in my mid to late teens. Dodgy

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
10-09-2014, 07:23 PM
(26-02-2014 06:41 AM)lamexcuses Wrote:  Have you ever gotten into an argument with a theist which ended with him saying "I am a theist because it brings positivity and hope in my life and makes me a better person"?

Theists always seem to have a lot of positive things to say about their respective religions and god in general. (Its not like we cannot refute their arguments successfully but at least I choose not to. Particularly not this one because I end up getting all worked up.)

But whenever I hear that argument I wonder what atheism brings us in our daily lives. Apart from the obvious positive that we are denying the illogical and embracing life based on reason (which is most of the times the REASON for our atheism).

Here, I am not interested in the reason for choosing atheism. I think we all know that. I am concerned with the positive (or even negative, if any) changes it has brought in our daily lives. What exactly changed AFTER you became an atheist if at all anything changed. It can be a change in perspective, change in the way of doing things, etc.

I myself feel that being an atheist I save a lot of time which my theist friends waste praying and visiting holy places. I have more freedom than they have and I am a more confident person with clarity of thoughts. But again I was born in an atheist family so I haven't really experienced the transition. I am unable to compare being "me being a theist" with my current state. I am sure someone who has experienced the transition will be able to answer in a better manner.

So, what do you think are the positive aspects of being an atheist in your daily life? How has atheism changed your life for the good?

Consider
Now instead of praying for good shit to happen, I get off my ass and do shit to make good shit happen! I mean shit happens, right? Gawd didn't do it, it just happens! So you gotta get out and do shit to make the good shit happen! Shy
If that makes sense Laugh out load Tongue

11-09-2014, 05:31 AM
(10-09-2014 05:28 PM)Shmookins Wrote:  Hello?

I think this is pretty good advice:

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
11-09-2014, 05:48 AM
I grew up in a very, extreme christian family. So I know what it is to be a believer, to non believer.

There are some things I´ve gained, and things I feel that I´ve lost. The safety of believing in everything happening for a reason etc. was very comforting, I have to admit.

But I do enjoy knowing that this is it, now I have to live life and enjoy it. That it truly is a gift, that we are here, and get to be an intelligent being at experience life.
[+] 1 user Likes Elisabet-sokkur's post
12-09-2014, 07:42 AM
I have to parrot a lot of the responses here, but the biggest thing atheism has brought me is peace. Peace in knowing that some stupid things I've done in my life aren't going to cost me in the line getting into heaven. Peace in knowing that I am a good person and there isn't some omnipotent deity responsible for my actions. Peace in that I can see the ignorance in all religions, I no longer have to hate anyone because they don't belong to my certain branch of religion (I'll share my favorite joke related to this at the end of this). Peace in not having to rush somewhere on Sunday mornings, and not having to sit in judgment of the other people attending the church.

I've found joy in knowing this life is all we have, and it's made me do more as a father and a husband. Since I've left that cult I'm more open and accepting to the people around me (but I still hate stupid people, there's just no getting beyond that), and I really appreciate all that I have learned about our true creation and the universe around us.

Now, regarding the closed-minded view of religion, I give you Emo Phillips:

I was walking across a bridge one day, and I saw a man standing on the edge, about to jump off. So I ran over and said "Stop! don't do it!" "Why shouldn't I?" he said. I said, "Well, there's so much to live for!" He said, "Like what?" I said, "Well...are you religious or atheist?" He said, "Religious." I said, "Me too! Are you christian or buddhist?" He said, "Christian." I said, "Me too! Are you catholic or protestant?" He said, "Protestant." I said, "Me too! Are you episcopalian or baptist?" He said, "Baptist!" I said,"Wow! Me too! Are you baptist church of god or baptist church of the lord?" He said, "Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you original baptist church of god, or are you reformed baptist church of god?" He said,"Reformed Baptist church of god!" I said, "Me too! Are you reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1879, or reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915?" He said, "Reformed baptist church of god, reformation of 1915!" I said, "Die, heretic scum", and pushed him off.

RELIGION, n. A daughter of Hope and Fear, explaining to Ignorance the nature of the Unknowable. - Ambrose Bierce (The Devil's Dictionary)
[+] 2 users Like Silo1180's post
19-11-2014, 08:17 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2014 08:21 PM by doniston.)
(26-02-2014 09:55 AM)evenheathen Wrote:  What Miso said. Plus I was immediately able to brush off any bigoted views I held because of religion. My tendency towards empathy and acceptance increased overnight.
Strange, this is my first day on this Forum, and you folks have already clarified something for me.
I was the product of a broken home, my parents separated when I was 13, nd we never were a very religious family. -- Farm folks like little house ---" we sometimes went to church on sundays. other times we were just too busy. any way by coincidence, thai was also the time I started questioning the bible, and it's teachings. they just did't make sense to me. so now 72 years later. I end up here. Yes, I'm 85. but tho I hae been athiest for most of that time, and have always questioned the reasonability of those who were so-called christian, and believing so strongly in Heaven and hell. but seemingly never following their chosen path. I didn't realize until today and reading the words on this thread that I actually feel sorry for those people.
I do what I beleive is right (sometimes slippin), but never feeling I am damned for making a mistake, and tho tiz another story, I believe there is an after life that I will Join.

but thank you all for showing me why I feel so lucky to be a athiest.

"I don't Debate, I Discuss" I offer my opinions, and listen to yours, I will not require proof of opinions, but I may ask for clarification or state that I reject your position and why, & if asked, I will further clarify mine --- However, I reject any requirement that I PROVE my position is accurate and proper.
24-11-2014, 01:32 PM
(26-02-2014 06:41 AM)lamexcuses Wrote:  So, what do you think are the positive aspects of being an atheist in your daily life? How has atheism changed your life for the good?

We belong to us.