Atheism in politics...does anyone believe they are all religious?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-08-2017, 01:32 PM
RE: Atheism in politics...does anyone believe they are all religious?
I agree that there are probably a bunch of pols who are privately nonbelievers, or at the least, doubters. US politicians willing to position themselves as openly atheist would have to be exceptionally courageous and/or exceptionally stupid. Not many exceptionally courageous pols around, and the exceptionally stupid ones are more likely to be believers.

As for puppet, his mentions of god are obviously opportunistic, but I don't know that he's atheist. I think he's a believer, but not religious. You can bet puppet's not hanging with the god-nerds at their weekly Bible study.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like julep's post
21-08-2017, 01:32 PM
(21-08-2017 01:30 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 01:26 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  "I think Trump is lying about his religion. I don't think he believes in any god." I absolutely disagree with that opinion. I think he is convinced that he IS a God. It's all part of his delusions.

But even He had to say He went to church, be seen going to church, read His bible and other non-sense to even be considered electable, right?

ABSOLUTELY! He would not have been elected if he were openly atheist. Never would have been the party's candidate. Period.

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
21-08-2017, 01:33 PM
(21-08-2017 01:28 PM)Vera Wrote:  
(21-08-2017 01:25 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Thought that was a given! I'm always learning something new here!

Not sarcastically this time - no, it kinda is not. And while we do get it, it can get somewhat annoying when American members assume it goes without saying that they are talking about their own neck of the woods, as if the rest of the world doesn't even exist.

General observation, not aimed specifically at you.

Point taken. I most definitely will try to be more specific. Thank you for going easier on me this time! Bowing

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
21-08-2017, 01:40 PM
(21-08-2017 01:33 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Thank you for going easier on me this time! Bowing

Son, you ain't seen nothing yet. That the other day was by no means me being especially hard on you. You've actually no idea... Rolleyes

I would post a female hulk picture to illustrate my point, but a) it won't be correct as I don't really get angry and b) for some reason (maybe a good one, I know next to nothing about either hulk or hulkette) she is just an incredibly sexualised piece of green meat. Weird.

But yeah...

As for atheism in politics - I don't think anyone cares much in Europe. Frankly, I kinda think religious people are looked at kinda funny, at least in Western Europe...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post
21-08-2017, 01:57 PM
I don't think that many politicians lie about being religious, though I wouldn't be surprised if at least some of them would overstate strength of their beliefs. Hell and brimstone right wing clownish preacher foaming at mouth while codemnig homosexuals could easily be cafeteria christian when no cameras are on him I think.

To touch a wider subject - I would not assume deideologization of politics. Sure, for some politicians ideology don't matter but there are others for which it matter greatly. Poland for example suffers from ideolifical fervor I think - there's no way that politician would say that he heard cries of frozen embryos* if he wouldn't believe it. Even srupidity of piticians has some limits.

Words of Jarosław Gowin foemer minister of justice if I recall correctly.

Wysłane z mojego 6045K przy użyciu Tapatalka

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
21-08-2017, 02:15 PM
(21-08-2017 01:40 PM)Vera Wrote:  Son, you ain't seen nothing yet. That the other day was by no means me being especially hard on you. You've actually no idea... Rolleyes

Very funny you should write that. Reminds me of the many times my wife has said something very similar. Sometimes she even throws in veiled references to sharp objects and dismemberment in cases when I am particularly lippy! No No No

It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brains fall out.
21-08-2017, 02:30 PM
Here in Australia we currently have a practising Catholic as our Prime Minister (PM = POTUS) and our previous Prime Minister was also Catholic. Our sole female Prime Minister, Julia Gillard, was an atheist, and, sadly, that worked against her at the end of the day, in concert that she was both unmarried, and never had children... shock! horror! The latter two doomed her (unknowingly at the time) from the start due to the domination of practising Christians—particularly Catholics at +50%— in our Federal Parliament.

We have however had successful atheist male Prime Ministers in the recent past: Hughes, Curtin, Holt, Whitlam, and Hawke were open and articulate atheists.

Being a nominally secular country, it disturbs me that Christian-based religion still plays such a strong but subtle part in our legislative processes. Think abortion and contraception, stem-cell research, sexuality and same-sex marriage, animal tissue transplantation, IVF and cryogenics, teaching curricula, and even retail trading hours and film censorship.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
21-08-2017, 02:50 PM
I had never heard of "Hulkette." Disturbingly, this is one of the first images that came up when I searched it...

[Image: a1621c2b3679ab48248b55eb0a98a2c8.jpg]

Sorry, I kinda hijacked the thread for that.

Carry on...

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams
21-08-2017, 03:48 PM
(21-08-2017 02:15 PM)reeveseb Wrote:  Very funny you should write that. Reminds me of the many times my wife has said something very similar. Sometimes she even throws in veiled references to sharp objects and dismemberment in cases when I am particularly lippy! No No No

Luckily for us all, I'm a violently non-violent person.I just like sarcasm a bit too much... Rolleyes

OMVOTG*, Out! That was seriously disturbing!

This is what I got the first (and only) time I googled she-hulk...Facepalm

[Image: 509500-shehulk04.jpg]

* Oh my vengeful old testament god Big Grin

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
26-08-2017, 08:49 AM
I believe that most of them are lying. At most they might be deists. I think though that they are for the most part atheist. They just happen to be atheists without morals. They lie, cheat, and even commit treasonous acts to rise to power and stay there. They opted out of the cruel joke that was/is Obama care. They would act Christian if they truly believed. Instead it is useful to get votes. If at some point atheism becomes the better bet than saying you believe in god, we will be hearing them all say they never really believed any of it.