Atheism in ten years.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-10-2014, 07:53 PM
Atheism in ten years.
Where do you all see the unaffiliated or more specifically,atheists, to be in ten years?

What I mean by that is how much of an increase in the U.S or world wide do you think it will get in ten years? Do you think the increase is going to be faster then it has in the last ten years since the four horsemen put out their books in the early 00's? Or do you think its going to stay constant or slow down?

Personally, I do not see an increase in speed of the unaffiliated or Atheists increasing, but I do see our numbers rising. I think in the next ten years, we could see our numbers in the U.S double in ten years from what they are today. I belief the current number is 4% of the U.S openly claims atheism. I would think that it would be around 10% by 2025. Maybe 15% if numbers gives impact on how fast it increases. This is not counting the agnostics, and all the other unaffiliated people.

My Youtube channel if anyone is interested.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEkRdbq...rLEz-0jEHQ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-10-2014, 08:05 PM
RE: Atheism in ten years.
I could see it doubling in 10 ten years, possibly more.

just the word 'atheist' is being used frequently in mainstream media. I remember when people were whispering the word 'gay' and now look where we are 25 years later.

Younger people arent going in the closet. My 9 year old has asked most all of her friends that she met this year (we recently moved). No matter what their answer she still hangs out with them, and they with her. Kids don't care about it and the old story of ministers saying that atheists are down trodden, depressed, and angry people won't fly, because they will know kids who aren't.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 3 users Like Bows and Arrows's post
30-10-2014, 08:28 PM
[Image: fuck_narnia_by_way_2_awesome-d4fn42k.png]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
31-10-2014, 02:47 AM
There's going to be a peak - where it's very visible, and coordinated. Atheist events, parties, etc.

But once everyone realizes that atheists are just as varied, and unique from one another - not just in other subjects, but within atheism itself - you'll see a decline in cooperation and coordination.

Atheism will be come accepted and not flaunted or even really targeted.

So we'll end up with many people who are atheist BUT we'll still have many of the same problems that don't necessarily have the atheist or religious labels applied to it. People will ultimately think "what's the point?". Which then you'll see a decline in Atheism because religious institutions are well established in maintaining a religious population.

This is my grand prediction for atheism if it stays the course as it does now.
31-10-2014, 03:06 AM
(31-10-2014 02:47 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  ...

First the women, then the blacks and then the gays and now the fucking atheists!

Soon we'll have no one left to ostracise.

Angry

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
31-10-2014, 03:38 AM
(31-10-2014 03:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  First the women, then the blacks and then the gays and now the fucking atheists!

First they came for the introverts, but I was an introvert so I did not speak out ...
[+] 3 users Like Mathilda's post
31-10-2014, 03:48 AM
Where exactly?

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
31-10-2014, 07:40 AM
(31-10-2014 03:06 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:47 AM)PoolBoyG Wrote:  ...

First the women, then the blacks and then the gays and now the fucking atheists!

Soon we'll have no one left to ostracise.

Angry

We'll always have the Jews. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
31-10-2014, 07:57 AM
(30-10-2014 07:53 PM)Shadow Fox Wrote:  Where do you all see the unaffiliated or more specifically,atheists, to be in ten years?

I think the more interesting question is not the numerical growth, but what forms it takes?

The US form of atheism experiment is quite different than the developments in the other western world, where it wasn't developed in the mire of anti-religion, or in the view of religion as such a stain that needs to be blotted, but one that occurred as the significance of a religion in one's life just wained over the years, lost less in opposition, and more like a natural occurrence, like a tree shedding some leaves.

Atheism in the US sort of appeared on the scene violently, an unavoidable presence, while atheism in other western regions arose quietly that no one even noticed it. And with modern technology and such, our form of atheism partakes in a dialogue with theist and atheist, it develops in conversation, conversations that leaks out onto even those not having them, which I think is of crucial importance for both parties, and likely to give our future forms some unique and surprising results.

Anti-theism, the sort heralded in by folks like Dawkins, and Harris seems to be waining as of late, but the dialogue between the non-religious, and religious continue, as to what this means in light of our world.
[+] 1 user Likes Tomasia's post
31-10-2014, 08:12 AM
(31-10-2014 07:57 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The US form of atheism experiment ".......

Atheism in the US sort of appeared on the scene violently"........

Huh

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller