Atheism in the Middle East

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
12-10-2009, 09:53 AM

Atheism in the Middle East
http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satel.../NWELayout

Atheism, although still very oppressed, is rising in the Middle East. One atheist says, “Violence, religious differences, deaths, hunger, displacement and many other issues made me ask myself where God is.” Which is understandable, that's how I came to atheism, even though no violence or anything was happeneing to me or my country, I was aware of it in other countries. I asked god what the deal was, got no reply. Became an athiest over time.

A believer states; “I lost two brothers during the war and didn’t stop believing but instead my faith became stronger. I turned to Islam for my personal spiritual comfort." Which is what god really is. A comfort. A teddy bear you hug when things are nitty-gritty. People need to put away their teddy bears and face the truth, however grim that might be. Shielding yourself from reality doesn't help anyone.

What are your thoughts on this?
Quote this message in a reply
14-10-2009, 01:29 AM

RE: Atheism in the Middle East
(12-10-2009 09:53 AM)Isaac Wrote:  http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satel.../NWELayout

Atheism, although still very oppressed, is rising in the Middle East. One atheist says, “Violence, religious differences, deaths, hunger, displacement and many other issues made me ask myself where God is.” Which is understandable, that's how I came to atheism, even though no violence or anything was happeneing to me or my country, I was aware of it in other countries. I asked god what the deal was, got no reply. Became an athiest over time.

A believer states; “I lost two brothers during the war and didn’t stop believing but instead my faith became stronger. I turned to Islam for my personal spiritual comfort." Which is what god really is. A comfort. A teddy bear you hug when things are nitty-gritty. People need to put away their teddy bears and face the truth, however grim that might be. Shielding yourself from reality doesn't help anyone.

I have a few muslim friends who don't really believe in Allah, but they dont feel comfortable admitting it because of the way their friends and neighbors will look at them. And this is in America, so I can't imagine what it's like in the middle east. I feel the need to do something. Religion needs to be destroyed, and I don'tknow what I need to do to make that happen.
21-10-2009, 02:13 PM

I'm from Israel, and I'm an atheist.
But it's not that I dont believe in god because all the bad things in the world. There are a lot of excuses that religous people believe about that.
I don't believe in god simply because it doesn't make any sense. After I became an atheist the world seemed very strange to me. It felt like god is something that primitive people believed at old times, but then I look around and I see people still act this primitive.
Still it makes me feel better when I see many kids at my age (15) are becoming aware of atheism.

P.S
Sorry about my bad English.
25-10-2009, 11:14 AM

Ancient religious texts, if read correctly, make a strong case for atheism. The more you scrutinize, the more you examine and evaluate; the easier it is to come to the conclusion that this is the best man could do at the time to make sense of the world.

We are in such a better place now, technologically, socially, as a species. We don't need bronze age myths for any reason. Furthermore, those myths actually cause more harm than good; but people, humans (Homo sapiens sapiens) have these leftover bits of our evolution that causes us to be susceptible to religious ideology.
[+] 1 user Likes happysplodie's post
09-11-2009, 09:20 AM

My name is Mehmet. I am from Turkey. I am an atheist. My family is muslim. My friends too. When I say "I don't believe in God" Their face is changing. Their talking style is changing to me. I don't like this. Sad
16-11-2009, 05:09 AM

Middle Eastern nations are, with great justification, associated very closely with Islam and Islamic nationalism. The Middle East is not a region where one would expect secularism and atheism to gain much of a foothold -- and to be fair, they still haven't. It's a sign of just how unlikely atheism in Muslims nations is that even a few hundred atheists in Iraq is real news.
21-11-2009, 04:04 AM

I'm egyptian,
There are atheists everywhere in the middle east. However, being a non-believer in a Muslim country can be very dangerous. People fear for their lives and they keep a low profile. There are few athirst forums on the internet and few other intellectual groups that cal themselves secular but can never state publicly that they denounce Gods and religion.
check this out
http://www.ladeeni.net/

la means no or non
deeni means relgious

they got a thread in english but you could use URL translator and you will find really interesting materials about Islam. things you never heard before. ex muslims speak out. Insider information Smile
enjoyBig Grin
[+] 1 user Likes Majiid's post
22-11-2009, 05:27 PM

Hi everybody I'am Fornax..

I am a Turkish and I am an atheist.

So I know so many things on Islam,Quran's inhuman orders.
Now I am writing on a forum site and I m trying to wake up my people..

Believe me it is too hard...

They don't know anything about thinking and solving problems,they don't know their religion too..
In my country there is 77.000 monquse but only 7000 hospital...
And every monquse has three theology personal.Their salary good too..
I know it is so disgusting and try to imagine yourself to wake your people to see that..

we are discussing diffrent things everyday..

Come and visit us sometimes my friends...

http://ateistplatform.ipbfree.com/

I will try to join the discusstions here when I have time...
[+] 1 user Likes Fornax's post
20-08-2010, 11:01 PM

(12-10-2009 09:53 AM)Isaac Wrote:  http://www.islamonline.net/servlet/Satel.../NWELayout

Sound sad, but I kind of understood and agree with that. Hope every powerful guys will start to think about peace......
20-08-2010, 11:08 PM
Oh dear God, the bots have discovered the black arts of necromancy.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply