Atheism in the Middle East

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
21-08-2010, 04:21 AM
RE: Atheism in the Middle East
Strange....When I first came in to this thread I expected to find Israel as well, but instead I find only references to Islamic countries in the ME, and this is not the first time. In terms of Politics- Israel is always in the "center" of ME, but when it comes to religion terms- Israel is not even mentioned.

I wonder why is that?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2010, 06:53 AM

I think it's because Islam has simply way, way more followers than Judaism, so it is also more influential.

It's good to see that even in Muslim countries people realize the absurdity of religion. They may now be oppressed, but in a few generations this will change and atheism won't be as frowned upon as it is today.
Quote this message in a reply
21-08-2010, 11:18 AM
(21-08-2010 04:21 AM)shiranl Wrote:  Strange....When I first came in to this thread I expected to find Israel as well, but instead I find only references to Islamic countries in the ME, and this is not the first time. In terms of Politics- Israel is always in the "center" of ME, but when it comes to religion terms- Israel is not even mentioned.

I wonder why is that?
Because the majority of the people living in Israel aren't religious?

You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion. - L. Ron Hubbard (Creater of Scientology)
Find all posts by this user
21-08-2010, 01:18 PM

I'm quite surprised actually. I never would have thought that atheists would exist with all the suppression and stuff. Perhaps this is a good thing, but I just wish their lives weren't threatened. It's just awful when a religion teaches "good" and they turn around and kill those who don't believe in god.
[+] 1 user Likes NoChainsOnMe's post
21-08-2010, 03:54 PM
(21-08-2010 11:18 AM)Moshe Wrote:  
(21-08-2010 04:21 AM)shiranl Wrote:  Strange....When I first came in to this thread I expected to find Israel as well, but instead I find only references to Islamic countries in the ME, and this is not the first time. In terms of Politics- Israel is always in the "center" of ME, but when it comes to religion terms- Israel is not even mentioned.

I wonder why is that?
Because the majority of the people living in Israel aren't religious?

And the majority of the world, unfortunately, doesn't know that. A lot of people, like it or not, think we're religious fanatics in Jew style.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-02-2011, 08:55 PM

"There are atheists everywhere in the middle east. However, being a non-believer in a Muslim country can be very dangerous. "

I totally agree that it is very dangerous to be an atheist in a Muslim country, so people who are atheists in this country are very careful.
10-12-2011, 02:46 PM
(09-11-2009 09:20 AM)mr.gurbuz Wrote:  My name is Mehmet. I am from Turkey. I am an atheist. My family is muslim. My friends too. When I say "I don't believe in God" Their face is changing. Their talking style is changing to me. I don't like this. Sad

Hang in there Man.. a time will come when atheism will be accepted all over the world.. One of the main aspects holding back people is FEAR.. Fear of change..

And religion and God has been used since time immemorial for people to hold on to power.. still is..

Also, a lot of people don't realise the separation between culture and religion.. Many people in Europe and east asia while being atheists retain their christian or Hindu or buddhist culture..

Hope you are able to make other people realize the truth.. Luck to you man..
Find all posts by this user