Atheism in the world

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-02-2014, 09:08 PM
Atheism in the world
If this subject has already been approached, I apologise, but I'm very curious to know the acceptance of atheism in cultures across the world. In England a land of historical religious turmoil, atheism has become the widely accepted norm, at least not politically (I exclude Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland due to cultural differences, because I have no personal experience in the religious demographics in these areas, [especially in Northern Ireland though I might be stereotyping!] ) people who are devoutly religious are considered the minority. Unlike the Americas particularly the United States where atheists are continually seen as the most distasteful of people. Of course using the U.S as a scape goat for religious prejudice is a gross act of ignorance considering other countries. But I'm assuming most of my audience is not in Saudi Arabia, or North Korea. My question is, after all that waffle, what country do you live in and how accepted is it to be an atheist, and what prejudices do you accept as norm to choose to be an atheist.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-02-2014, 09:37 PM
RE: Atheism in the world
I live in Canada and over here we usually see people as more accepting in comparison to other places, namely the middle east, or for general for that matter. What would define accepting though? I'm guessing the prejudices of religion is universal, especially when its the same religion, so this cannot be avoided anywhere you go. The severity however is a different issue. Canada is home to tons of cultures and views, and so I guess it causes the people to become more accepting to the environment, just to adapt.

I know for certain that gays in Canada are treated very well and there are many people in Canada that I know who are happy with how the country is treating them. Canada is one of the most accepting places, as far as I know.

Everyday is judgement day. Use your judgement, use reason.
12-02-2014, 09:49 PM
New Zealand. It is the standard here as well. I am always surprised when someone says they are a Christian. As in "Wow really? You guys actually exist?" I don't actually say that. Atheist isn't even a word you would use to describe yourself here. It is just the default position and taken as a given.
[+] 3 users Like Pippen's post
12-02-2014, 09:51 PM
In My localised area of Australia and from what I see in most places, well over 50% people are unknowingly Atheist, they have no interest in religion and can't even decide if they are deist or not, but will say they are what ever religion their parents are if they are asked on the spot
Publicly vocal Atheists are only seen as abnormal by the fundies.
Most people think atheists are mean spirited for saying adult Santa is not real

Churches mostly preach goodwill that is 99% secular speak. (have a few 10-25% fundie churches that preach negatives).
Best guess I can give is the "nones" + "Atheists" in Oz must = around 70% of the population.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".
12-02-2014, 09:55 PM
Here in Wales things have changed a lot.

My dad still remembers when you couldn't buy alcohol in Wales on Sundays, and shops would be closed all day. Fortunately, living near the border meant you could nip into an English pub or off license for a piss up.

I can't say I've ever noticed people bad talking atheists... Believers were more likely to be bullied in school.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-02-2014, 10:07 PM
LOL, Sam, I remember the beer stores being closed on Sundays here in Denver, and I haven't been here all that long...

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
Sunday sales for about three years now in Kansas. Weeping

At least we got there....

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-02-2014, 10:55 PM
(12-02-2014 10:07 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  LOL, Sam, I remember the beer stores being closed on Sundays here in Denver, and I haven't been here all that long...

Same. I used to hate Sundays if I hadn't remembered it. Fuck and buggery. Oh well off to the pub for their free BBQ they used to throw as an excuse to get around the licensing rules.
[+] 2 users Like Pippen's post
12-02-2014, 10:58 PM
I found it shocking, to find a 2007 poll of American adults found that only 45 percent would vote for a "generally well-qualified" presidential candidate nominated by their party who happened to be an atheist. I couldn't imagine those statistics in any other western country. A country where evolution is actively being fought from being taught in schools. And I'm not America bashing by any means, its just a weird concept coming from a country that has some of the best universities and best scientific institutions in the world.
12-02-2014, 11:20 PM
Utah, United States. Take a guess on how widely accepted atheism is. I can't go a day without my own mother trying to convert me into a Mormon/Christian right wing nut job. Just the other day I received an email from her detailing how evolution is nothing more than a "fairy tale for adults". Irony if ever I've heard it. In fact, here's the link to the article she included: http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/44-rea...le-adults/ Don't click on that unless you want to constantly roll your eyes and pull out your hair. Subject line of the email? "Please read these articles and ponder them & dlways [sic] know that I love you and want you to be happy". Basically what any evangelical will tell you, happiness can only come through religion. Their religion, specifically.

Being a liberal atheist is basically the worst possible option for anyone to be here, and that's where I sit. Frankly, it doesn't bother me much. There are many people who are accepting, including my wife (raised evangelical Christian, not an unbeliever, I REALLY love my wife for how accepting she is) and her VERY conservative and evangelical family. Love is unconditional to them, something more people need to be examples of, especially if they claim to be followers of Christ. I also have a very close circle of friends who are great with discussions and discourse who respect all view points though we don't all agree on much. It helps to have people like that in your life when you're seemingly the abnormal one. The main thing that sucks, though, is severe lack of representation in government. But, that too will change.

This is normal life for me and many others in my state. It isn't great, sucks at times in fact, but progress is being made. That's all I can hope for, especially now that I have a child.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
[+] 2 users Like Anudist's post