Atheism in the world

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 12:27 AM
RE: Atheism in the world
I live in the country of Texas, and believe it or not, there is an amazing level of acceptance of atheists even here. There is also an amazing level of cretinism. It's fairly bifurcated.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
13-02-2014, 01:29 AM
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)Anudist Wrote:  Utah, United States. Take a guess on how widely accepted atheism is. I can't go a day without my own mother trying to convert me into a Mormon/Christian right wing nut job. Just the other day I received an email from her detailing how evolution is nothing more than a "fairy tale for adults". Irony if ever I've heard it. In fact, here's the link to the article she included: http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/44-rea...le-adults/ Don't click on that unless you want to constantly roll your eyes and pull out your hair. Subject line of the email? "Please read these articles and ponder them & dlways [sic] know that I love you and want you to be happy". Basically what any evangelical will tell you, happiness can only come through religion. Their religion, specifically.

Being a liberal atheist is basically the worst possible option for anyone to be here, and that's where I sit. Frankly, it doesn't bother me much. There are many people who are accepting, including my wife (raised evangelical Christian, not an unbeliever, I REALLY love my wife for how accepting she is) and her VERY conservative and evangelical family. Love is unconditional to them, something more people need to be examples of, especially if they claim to be followers of Christ. I also have a very close circle of friends who are great with discussions and discourse who respect all view points though we don't all agree on much. It helps to have people like that in your life when you're seemingly the abnormal one. The main thing that sucks, though, is severe lack of representation in government. But, that too will change.

This is normal life for me and many others in my state. It isn't great, sucks at times in fact, but progress is being made. That's all I can hope for, especially now that I have a child.

That must massively suck. It would do my head in. A friend of mine did a student exchange from Slovakia to Utah when she was 17 and she never even considered the family that hosted her would make her go to church. Not only did they make her they totally upped the ante and made it 3 to 4 times a week and youth groups and bible study shit as well. Full on family denouncement sessions with her as the target. She was 17 FFS. Her English was OK, but not great and the woman in charge of her care through the exchange did nothing and told her to deal with it. She had no idea how full on it would be.
13-02-2014, 01:42 AM
(13-02-2014 01:29 AM)Pippen Wrote:  That must massively suck. It would do my head in. A friend of mine did a student exchange from Slovakia to Utah when she was 17 and she never even considered the family that hosted her would make her go to church. Not only did they make her they totally upped the ante and made it 3 to 4 times a week and youth groups and bible study shit as well. Full on family denouncement sessions with her as the target. She was 17 FFS. Her English was OK, but not great and the woman in charge of her care through the exchange did nothing and told her to deal with it. She had no idea how full on it would be.

You learn to deal with it, especially if you were born into a Mormon family. It was easy for me to see through the bullshit early on, but people who fall for it fall HARD and go full blown derp, making it easy to see why people call it a cult. My Facebook feed is proof of that.

When I was a church goer there were a few exchange students who were brought with their host families. I always felt sorry for them, I think only one ever actually wanted to be there, the others just slacked off and made jokes the entire time (I loved them for that). Many of my sunday school teachers would purposely call on them to offer prayers and try to coach them on the "proper" way to pray. Pretty despicable.

Needless to say I don't miss the church, not a single fucking bit.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
13-02-2014, 02:15 AM
I'm in the middle atlantic region of the US. No real problems being a non theist here.
13-02-2014, 02:43 AM
(12-02-2014 09:55 PM)Paranoidsam Wrote:  Here in Wales things have changed a lot.

My dad still remembers when you couldn't buy alcohol in Wales on Sundays, and shops would be closed all day. Fortunately, living near the border meant you could nip into an English pub or off license for a piss up.

I can't say I've ever noticed people bad talking atheists... Believers were more likely to be bullied in school.

Same here in South Wales. There is no religious community. The only people who really go to church are a few of the older generation.

No one really talks about god here. He has no bearing on this town lol.
13-02-2014, 02:58 AM
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)Anudist Wrote:  Utah, United States. Take a guess on how widely accepted atheism is. I can't go a day without my own mother trying to convert me into a Mormon/Christian right wing nut job. Just the other day I received an email from her detailing how evolution is nothing more than a "fairy tale for adults". Irony if ever I've heard it. In fact, here's the link to the article she included: http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/44-rea...le-adults/ Don't click on that unless you want to constantly roll your eyes and pull out your hair. Subject line of the email? "Please read these articles and ponder them & dlways [sic] know that I love you and want you to be happy". Basically what any evangelical will tell you, happiness can only come through religion. Their religion, specifically.

Being a liberal atheist is basically the worst possible option for anyone to be here, and that's where I sit. Frankly, it doesn't bother me much. There are many people who are accepting, including my wife (raised evangelical Christian, not an unbeliever, I REALLY love my wife for how accepting she is) and her VERY conservative and evangelical family. Love is unconditional to them, something more people need to be examples of, especially if they claim to be followers of Christ. I also have a very close circle of friends who are great with discussions and discourse who respect all view points though we don't all agree on much. It helps to have people like that in your life when you're seemingly the abnormal one. The main thing that sucks, though, is severe lack of representation in government. But, that too will change.

This is normal life for me and many others in my state. It isn't great, sucks at times in fact, but progress is being made. That's all I can hope for, especially now that I have a child.

"Utah, United States."

Oh....poor you!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2014, 03:04 AM
Sunshine Coast, Australia

Most of us are atheists or couldn't give a shit one way or another types.

However there are fundamentalist churches here. They attract the uneducated, the lonely and the gullible. They cause a large amount of psychological damage.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-02-2014, 03:30 AM
I found Scotland to be slightly more religious than England and Bavaria slightly more religious than Britain. The subject has never really come up in conversation though. I've often said on a Monday that I was hill walking the previous day and no one has ever mentioned anything about me not being in church. I would be surprised if they did.

Bavaria is known to be a more religious part of Germany though. We visit the Harz in north Germany on a regular basis to look after my parent's retirement house and a very big cultural icon there are witches. They sell them in all the tourist shops and people have them hanging up in their windows. They also celebrate Walpurgisnacht which is the night when witches are reputed to hold a large celebration on the Brocken (a local mountain mentioned in Goethe's Faust and Mussorgsky's night on the bald mountain is based on it, it also gave us the name Brocken Spectre).

My Christian brother and his wife were rather disturbed by the pagan aspect of the culture there. My husband and I love it.
13-02-2014, 03:59 AM
I have lived most of my life in Germany. Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich... Later I lived in Cambridge and now I am living in Singapore. It is true that German christians do not go to church or do not practice their religion as much. But they are still unconsciously governed by it. For instance, there is a hate campaign against muslims and their right to express their religion openly, and there are many many people who would support that. This sort of religious antagonism also influences other political decisions. In addition, while in Germany the most popular party is the Christian Democratic Party, Germans love to ciritcize other governments that have any religious affilliations.

It also depends on what you define as religious. In Germany, you would be considered to be crazy, if you supported creationism or the story of Noah's Arch. But most of the people still believe in the existence of a God or the miracles of Jesus, and react irritatedly when you deny them. They are mostly apologetics, liberal moderate christians.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
13-02-2014, 05:20 AM
The nones will be the majority sooner then we think.
In a world of non Theism, Atheism will be irrelevant.
Much like there is no name for the opposite of Astrology/ETabductions/spoonbending.

A thousand years from now in "ancient internet history" class, the students will be like 'can you believe these bat shit religious loons' and 'thank humanity there were these Atheist guys/grls keeping them in check'.

Theism is to believe what other people claim, Atheism is to ask "why should I".