Atheism in the world

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-02-2014, 05:36 AM
RE: Atheism in the world
(12-02-2014 09:08 PM)Nik Wrote:  If this subject has already been approached, I apologise, but I'm very curious to know the acceptance of atheism in cultures across the world. In England a land of historical religious turmoil, atheism has become the widely accepted norm, at least not politically (I exclude Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland due to cultural differences, because I have no personal experience in the religious demographics in these areas, [especially in Northern Ireland though I might be stereotyping!] ) people who are devoutly religious are considered the minority. Unlike the Americas particularly the United States where atheists are continually seen as the most distasteful of people. Of course using the U.S as a scape goat for religious prejudice is a gross act of ignorance considering other countries. But I'm assuming most of my audience is not in Saudi Arabia, or North Korea. My question is, after all that waffle, what country do you live in and how accepted is it to be an atheist, and what prejudices do you accept as norm to choose to be an atheist.

In my neck of the Australia, seems to me that disbelief is pretty much a normal thing, but it's probably not out disbelief as much as typical Australian not giving two shits.

Though we do have decent number of churches around the suburbs I live in and near, and there are a ton the closer you go into Adelaide itself.
I was once beset upon by Jehova's Witnesses which as soon as I mentioned I was an atheist got reeeeally pushy... But they are the minority normally around these parts.

And of course in Australia in general, the Christians have the majority here we can't forget (but atheists, agnostics, and no-religion folk make up thee second largest part!).

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
13-02-2014, 06:00 AM
(13-02-2014 03:59 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I have lived most of my life in Germany. Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich... Later I lived in Cambridge and now I am living in Singapore. It is true that German christians do not go to church or do not practice their religion as much. But they are still unconsciously governed by it. For instance, there is a hate campaign against muslims and their right to express their religion openly, and there are many many people who would support that.

The last two times I have been at Marienplatz in Munich (last January) there have been demonstrators ranting about new mosques being built (at least I think that's what they are demonstrating about, my German isn't that good). There are always two policemen watching them and they weren't drawing much of a crowd.

We were quite surprised when we first saw the demonstrators.
13-02-2014, 07:54 AM
No, they are demonstrating AGAINST building new mosques. They very often do. They also demonstrate against "islamification" and rant about how people from Muslim countries should not be allowed to immigrate. Not that there are any mosques around that deserve notice, to begin with. I encountered one in Schwanseestrasse (if I remember the name correctly. It is the street behind Deutsches Theater) directly below a dance studio (which started out as tap dance studio, initially). I haven't seen any other.

This subconscious fear of "islamification" or of Muslims having a far too big "cultural impact" and practically "taking over" Germany is ridiculous, but many people still take it seriously. I was scared how many otherwise intelligent people considering themselves "democratic" were sharing this belief. And have you heard of Thilo Sarazzin and his book "Germany Is Abolishing Itself" (Deutschland schafft sich ab)? In it, he clearly states that Muslims are inferior people regarding intelligence, but are outstandingly good at reproduction... Millions of people were agreeing with the content. The media was defending Thilo Sarazzin as the voice of the people.

I do not know if this kind of behavior is due to religion, media, or both.

Fun "paradox": The higher the selection pressure, the slower evolution takes place.
13-02-2014, 08:31 AM
I'm in western Michigan. It used to be heavily Dutch (and that's probably still the largest nationality among whites), and thus, heavily Reformed. The city is still obviously mostly Christian. It leans conservative, although it has been becoming increasingly liberal. That being said, my atheism doesn't really come up in and around the city, per se, so I don't notice any difference. I'm a white male, so I will be assumed to be Christian (and probably conservative) by any random person who sees me on the street.

I do actually attend a church (my wife's church) but am not a member. It's actually a very liberal Reformed church, and the only one in the state that openly accepts gay members. I know several of the members of the small group early worship that my wife likes knows I'm atheist, and they don't seem to have a problem with it.

I have a few cousins who stopped believing long before me, so they were happy to find out when I stopped as well. My sister-in-laws and their husbands don't believe either, so I have a decent "support group" of sorts. My entire immediate family and my wife are all still Christian. My lack of belief is something that doesn't really come up. I know it troubles my wife, and I'm not entirely sure what my parents think. A recent conversation made it seem like they thought I was going through a phase, and that it might have been over (until I answered their question).

So, TL;DR version: day to day, I don't notice much. The biggest deal is the somewhat implicit strain on my marriage that we don't talk about very often. Given what I've read online, I feel relatively lucky.
13-02-2014, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 13-02-2014 12:12 PM by IndianAtheist.)
(12-02-2014 11:20 PM)Anudist Wrote:  I received an email from her detailing how evolution is nothing more than a "fairy tale for adults". Irony if ever I've heard it. In fact, here's the link to the article she included: http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/01/44-rea...le-adults/ Don't click on that unless you want to constantly roll your eyes and pull out your hair.
"Evolution is an ancient pagan philosophy" THIS is comedy Gold! [Image: th_smiley_laughcry.gif] i love how she's projecting her own failures onto everyone XD

Dreams/Hallucinations/delusions are not evidence
Wishful thinking is not evidence
Disproved statements&Illogical conclusions are not evidence
Logical fallacies&Unsubstantiated claims are not evidence
Vague prophecies is not evidence
Data that requires a certain belief is not evidence
13-02-2014, 10:02 AM
(13-02-2014 01:29 AM)Pippen Wrote:  That must massively suck. It would do my head in. A friend of mine did a student exchange from Slovakia to Utah when she was 17 and she never even considered the family that hosted her would make her go to church. Not only did they make her they totally upped the ante and made it 3 to 4 times a week and youth groups and bible study shit as well. Full on family denouncement sessions with her as the target. She was 17 FFS. Her English was OK, but not great and the woman in charge of her care through the exchange did nothing and told her to deal with it. She had no idea how full on it would be.

I know at that age, it's hard to assert yourself, but she could have simply refused to go.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
13-02-2014, 11:40 AM
Atheism in the world
California, but an Evangelical/Fundamentalist part of it.

We have a lot of deeply indoctrinated folks here: Made it hard finding someone I could stand dating. I've often heard it argued that no one can arrive at ethical decisions without God's influence, primarily by people who made a string of poor life choices and were "saved" from themselves by faith.

Here we have religious parents preaching abstinence to their pregnant teenagers, large groups who discriminate based on belief, holy roller types, and those who want to save the world with what they self-righteously assume to be a greater moral compass and bible-backed views on everything from economics, to politics, to social issues.

It's tiring to say the least.

“It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts.”
― Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Sherlock Holmes
13-02-2014, 11:36 PM
(13-02-2014 08:39 AM)IndianAtheist Wrote:  "Evolution is an ancient pagan philosophy" THIS is comedy Gold! [Image: th_smiley_laughcry.gif] i love how she's projecting her own failures onto everyone XD

Yeah... it's amazing how many people actually believe this bullshit. And maddening as all hell that my mother is one of them.

"Good news, everyone!"
-Cody
13-02-2014, 11:45 PM
(12-02-2014 09:37 PM)Freethought Wrote:  I live in Canada and over here we usually see people as more accepting in comparison to other places, namely the middle east, or for general for that matter. What would define accepting though? I'm guessing the prejudices of religion is universal, especially when its the same religion, so this cannot be avoided anywhere you go. The severity however is a different issue. Canada is home to tons of cultures and views, and so I guess it causes the people to become more accepting to the environment, just to adapt.

I know for certain that gays in Canada are treated very well and there are many people in Canada that I know who are happy with how the country is treating them. Canada is one of the most accepting places, as far as I know.
Do you know what stereotypes we in 'merika have of canadians?
We think you all are being nice to eachother, holding doors for eachother, saying thank you to eachother, while in 'merika there's school shooting every other day and all of the kids form discriminating hierarchies.

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
14-02-2014, 02:19 AM
(13-02-2014 03:59 AM)Youkay Wrote:  I have lived most of my life in Germany. Hamburg, Stuttgart, Munich... Later I lived in Cambridge and now I am living in Singapore.

I lived in Stuttgart and Muenchen in my teens. Loved it...

Quote:But they are still unconsciously governed by it. For instance, there is a hate campaign against muslims and their right to express their religion openly

I wouldn't so much call that a "hate campaign" as reasonable backlash against a violent, misogynist, batshit-crazy Borg religion.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop