Atheism is a Religion? [long post]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM (This post was last modified: 02-03-2012 02:49 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Atheism is a Religion? [long post]
Quote:Social - the social dimension of religion is concerned with religious leadership and community in congregations. Contemporary atheism has its own leadership (authors such as Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens and Sam Harris) and social gatherings (e.g. the Global Atheist Convention held in Melbourne, Australia)[5]

This is a huge stretch because humans are social animals. Look at the way government works; there are those who lead and those who follow. Hunter-gatherer societies formed themselves into such hierarchical structures, as do modern industrial societies. This argument is best put in its place when you compare said structure to the animal kingdom. All social animals have an alpha male (i.e. leader) and those who follow him. These include well-known examples like wolves and chimpanzees. Are we to believe that these animals practice religion just because they have a class structure and congregate? I think not. Since humans are African Apes, it is no surprise that we follow the same social structures.

I think it is most important to remember that the so-called "atheist leaders" are not elected officials like Popes or cardinals. They are simply individuals with the education, charismatic presence, and strong will to speak out against religion's control and negative effects on society. I may share in their views on evolution, cosmology, or philosophy, but it doesn't mean that they represent me or all atheists in general.

Quote:Ethical - this dimension is concerned with the ethical teachings of a religion. Logically speaking, if there is no God, how can there be any objective ethics? Ethics is reduced to each person's individual whims. Despite this, the leaders of atheism are insistent that they do have ethics, and even claim to have better ethics than religious people[6]

We have been over this time and time again. Ethics / morals are based on societal laws. Ethics/morals change depending on which culture is being talked about. For instance, there is a nomadic tribe in Africa that is constantly on the move. Therefore, they have limited resources and can only care for a certain number of people. If a mother gives birth to twins, her culture sees it as ethical / moral that she kills one of the children because she can only care for one of them. The child would surely suffer and or endanger the rest of the tribe if s/he was allowed to live. Other cultures may think this is monstrous, but the key is that the tribe doesn’t.

Psychologists believe there are two kinds of morals: instinctive and rational. Instinctive evolved to help individuals make split second life-or-death decisions. Rational only came about after societies had time to formulate what they considered to be good or bad. The above is a prime example. Other examples include religious restrictions on dress or food preparation.

Quote:Ritual[8] - this dimension is concerned with rituals, the celebration of rites, ceremonies or festivals. Although atheism at present has few rituals, there are explicitly atheist versions of rituals to celebrate major life events (birth, marriage, death), and some atheists have proposed annual festivals to substitute for Christmas or Easter, such as Charles Darwin's birthday

Again, humans are social creatures. This entails all of the emotions that go with being social. Being happy because of a birth or marriage has absolutely nothing to do with religion. If a person can't get excited about having a child or getting married without thinking of religion, there is something seriously wrong with them. Being sad when someone dies because of a death has nothing to do with it either. It all boils down to respect. If I attend a funeral, it is because I was most likely a friend or relative of the deceased. I mourn their passing because they were an individual that influenced my life and others. I also mourn their passing because I will never see them again. Early human groups tended to be small, so they naturally gravitated together to celebrate or mourn these times. Just because the human population is larger and separated by vast distances doesn’t mean we still don’t have the urge to do the same today.

As for Christmas and Easter, these are well established commercial holidays. They no longer carry the religious weight that they used to. The last time I checked the notion of a magical elf or talking rabbit giving out gifts to children would have seemed a tad bit satanic to church leaders a few hundred years ago. One thing to remember is that the children of atheist parents go to school with the children of religious parents. They will no doubt be bombarded with holiday music, commercials, TV shows, and films in their daily lives. A child who is restricted from taking part in these social activities may feel like they are missing out. So I see nothing wrong with them taking part in the secularized versions of Christmas and Easter. Hell, even Easter egg hunts can be fun for adults (it just depends what’s inside them)!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like ghostexorcist's post
02-03-2012, 03:28 PM
Great post ghostexorcist!
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post
09-03-2012, 12:35 PM
(02-03-2012 03:28 PM)kineo Wrote:  Great post ghostexorcist!

Thank you. The answers are so obvious. This just goes to show that creationists are going out of their way to hate atheism.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
15-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Short answer "No it is not"

I know that if I step off a building's roof I will fall - fact not religion
I know there are no gods - fact not religion
15-04-2012, 07:48 PM
Short post
Fuzzy logic aside, if it ain't supernatural, it ain't religion. Period.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
15-04-2012, 10:20 PM
Dood. Get off the Conservopedia. Before it's too late.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
16-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Not only is atheism not a religion, neither is theism.
16-04-2012, 05:44 PM
Atheism is a religon in the same vein that Off is a tv channel and bald is a hair color.
16-04-2012, 06:11 PM (This post was last modified: 16-04-2012 06:19 PM by Jessper.)
Arguments of something which is named Conservopedia and has "trustworthy!" in title are credible as my boot talking about existentionalism.

1. They also point out atheism is a belief that there is no God. If you look further, they mean the christian god. Guess the nature of the web didn't allow them to aknowledge other gods.
2. They say Atheism worldwide is on decline. What? It never really was on decline and the number of atheists never grew faster than now.
3. They have "evelution doesn't exist" right next to the article.
4. Dawkins is NOT a leader of atheists. Oh my god. Wait... whoops.
5. Believeing in something of supernatural origin does not necessery contradict atheism.

Sorry, those just amused me.

They want to view atheism as a religion, because that would make us ONE organisation, one body - It is incredibly hard to attack individual people with different opinions and no real ties to each other apart from the single sentence : There are no gods. We don't have to agree on any other matter, we may be pro evolution, we may think aliens did it... It is very frustrating to go after people who don't have a set of rules which ties them together.

Plus, the legendary and still very glorious - atheism is a religion as much as not collecting stamps is a hobby. As is often mentioned, even the word atheist is a bit "skewed" because apart from this one case, we tend to have to names for people who don't do something. You'll probably say "Jack rides a bike a lot" rather than describing Jack by what he doesn't do - "Oh, you mean Jack, that guy who doesn't have six cats?".
[+] 1 user Likes Jessper's post
16-04-2012, 06:18 PM
Atheism is a religion, like not collecting stamps is a hobby.

[Image: Untitled-2.png?_subject_uid=322943157&am...Y7Dzq4lJog]