Poll: is atheist organization politically oriented?
Yes - as organizations, atheists have a political agenda
No - as organizations, atheists are educators of truth
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
Atheism is a political movement

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2011, 12:27 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 12:53 PM by TrainWreck.)
Atheism is a political movement
My recent contemplations have lead me to realize that the crux of atheist organizations is political - the abolishment of theist influence in governmental affairs.

Certainly, atheists would argue that their organizations are not religions; and I would agree, as atheism is not a religion, just as theism is not a religion.

Humanism - ontological doctrine that posits that humans define reality
Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
Atheism - political doctrine opposed to theist doctrine in public policy
I am right, and you are wrong - I hope you die peacefullyCool
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 12:38 PM
RE: Atheism is a political movement
I disagree with every single word in that post.

God bless.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
06-06-2011, 12:55 PM
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...secularism

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
06-06-2011, 01:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 01:10 PM by TrainWreck.)
I reviewed the Secular manifesto, and I would say that is the political agenda that the atheist organizations are championing, otherwise how else could you explain that atheists are organizing? What do you believe is the quality that compels atheists to organize?

Theism - ontological doctrine that posits a supernatural entity creates and defines reality
06-06-2011, 01:17 PM
(06-06-2011 12:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  My recent contemplations have lead me to realize that the crux of atheist organizations is political

No.

(06-06-2011 12:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  the abolishment of theist influence in governmental affairs.

Not necessarily.

(06-06-2011 12:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Certainly, atheists would argue that their organizations are not religions; and I would agree, as atheism is not a religion

Yes.

(06-06-2011 12:27 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  just as theism is not a religion.

Also yes. Though theists are often members of religions.

Also, the poll is a false dichotomy.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 1 user Likes Unbeliever's post
06-06-2011, 01:44 PM
Theists do not organize under the designation of theism, they organize under the designations of their logic and morality systems, which is what their religions are.

Tell us why atheists organize - what is the crux of their organization?

06-06-2011, 01:48 PM
(06-06-2011 01:44 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Tell us why atheists organize - what is the crux of their organization?

either
1) there is safety in numbers; or
2) to collectively pick up chicks.

I think it's probably #2 because I'm just here for the women.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 3 users Like BnW's post
06-06-2011, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 02:25 PM by Buddy Christ.)
(06-06-2011 01:44 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  Tell us why atheists organize - what is the crux of their organization?

1. I don't think crux is the appropriate term (though who knows since you invented THE WORLD'S GREATEST CLASSIFICATION SYSTEM ZOMGBLAOIE POWZORZ!!)

and

2. We organize for the same reason any minority group organizes; to resist the oppression of the majority and give each other strength, so that we may stand up against our oppressors and shout "I am a human being!"

Who's with me!?!?!

(Charges off into the sunset with sword raised high)

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
06-06-2011, 02:15 PM
(06-06-2011 01:05 PM)TrainWreck Wrote:  What do you believe is the quality that compels atheists to organize?
Babies are tastier shared.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 3 users Like Observer's post
06-06-2011, 02:38 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 02:46 PM by TrainWreck.)
(06-06-2011 02:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  2. We organize for the same reason any minority group organizes; to resist the oppression of the majority and give each other strength, so that we may stand up against our oppressors and shout "I am a human being!"
And, you don't think that is the definition of political grievance organization, because I, the greatest reasoner of them all, am arguing that atheist organization is politically motivated, and you do not want to ever agree with me because I am a better reasoner than you.

(06-06-2011 02:05 PM)Buddy Christ Wrote:  1. I don't think crux is the appropriate term.
Tell us what is the more appropriate term - stop treating us all like mushrooms - enlighten us to wisdom.